No announcement yet.

There it went

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On score updates before Go West there was Amazing Grace which was No. 1 for weeks as played by a mass of Scottish bagpipes.
    Before half and full times the police at Highbury would patrol the perimeter (no fences see) as the North Bank sang "Old Macdonald Had A Farm" or humming the Laurel and Hardy theme tune.
    Of course you wouldn't chant you're shit arrrgh at your own keeper so it would be oooooooohhhhhhhhh wooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhh or sum such.

Comment

Distant Bums update: a friend who watched Luton late 60s/early 70s says the next lines (again accompanied by mass pointing) were-

“And do they smell?
      Like fuckin’ ‘ell!
      Over there, over there”

Comment

The full-on assult of the Christmas music season brings to mind the Boney M classic:

Hark now hear the <insert your team here> sing
        When <insert opposition team here> ran away
        And we will fight forevermore
        Because of Saturday

Comment

It was 'Arsenal' (obviously) and 'Boxing Day' (which at least nodded to the season) for my lot back in t' 1970s.

The chant pre-dates Boney M's version of Mary's Boy Child by at least fifteen years - Harry Belafonte, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
            On score updates before Go West there was Amazing Grace which was No. 1 for weeks as played by a mass of Scottish bagpipes.
            Before half and full times the police at Highbury would patrol the perimeter (no fences see) as the North Bank sang "Old Macdonald Had A Farm" or humming the Laurel and Hardy theme tune.
            Of course you wouldn't chant you're shit arrrgh at your own keeper so it would be oooooooohhhhhhhhh wooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhh or sum such.
            Police were often greeted with "Who's that tw*t with a nipple on his hat? Do daa. Do daa. "

This probably died out because said nipples have tended too as well.

I can't believe nobody sang in grounds before the 60s. In fact I'd

Comment

I'd switch my original bet from a bob —tailed nag to assert that they did.

Comment

The first season of Match of the Day is available on Youtube, if anyone (like me) wants to research this more thoroughly.

The famous first show (Anfield, Beatleville, cat on pitch, Wolstenholme) has the "cha cha cha" (as Kenneth calls it) but very little singing from the Kop, even though the Mersey Beat had been going a while by then.

Match of the Day playlist, 1964-65
                Last edited by tee rex; 05-12-2017, 10:41. Reason: link

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                  Police were often greeted with "Who's that tw*t with a nipple on his hat? Do daa. Do daa. "

This probably died out because said nipples have tended too as well.

I can't believe nobody sang in grounds before the 60s. In fact I'd
                  The version I heard was "Who's that prat with the big blue hat...".

Also, "Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend, Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers". As a 10 year old I never really gave it a second thought, and the killings might as well have been ancient history to me, but in fact had happened within the previous 5 years. Most of the boys in blue in front of us used to laugh when we sang it. Some, mind you, got very very angry.

Comment

think a lot of the other songs came from the army, I guess post WW2?National Service.

Bless em all.

"Fuck em All Fuck em all

X, y millwall

for we are the XXX and we are the best we are the the XXX so fuck off the rest"

Or remains of Music hall

We will fight fight fight for United till we win the football league

The Bold Gendarmes

Knees up Mother Brown

Comment

At every game Wednesday fans still sing;

Hark now hear the Wednesday sing
                      United ran away
                      And we will fight for ever more
                      Because of Boxing Day

"Boxing Day" in our context refers to the Boxing Day Massacre of 1979 when Wednesday beat our near neighbours 4-0 at Hillsborough, a pivotal day in the history of both clubs in front of what remains the record attendance for a regular season 3rd division game.

Comment

We've got various threads on popular songs/tunes getting an airing at football grounds, this seems as good a place as any ...

A mundane Div 2 game from 1968, Sheffield Utd v Oxford Utd. Thanks to the noisy home support (or the microphone placement by the BBC), it provides a good selection for football song historians. At least in the first half, until the chants fade away when (Spoiler!) the Blades go behind.

One in particular was a surprise. Several times you can hear a version of The Casuals' "(What am I supposed to do with a girl like) Jesamine?" (e.g. at 5:50, and when Sheffield have a corner at 15:00). Surprising because it had only just entered the charts and on that date was at no.22. Not even a real hit yet (peaked at 2 later).

That must be a strong claim for the quickest ever move from hit-to-terrace, from Radio 1 to Match Of The Day, almost literally overnight.

(other items of interest ... some famous names in the two teams, and the headlines at the end, including - trivia fans - Nick Hornby's first game at Highbury, the opening chapter of Fever Pitch).

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          We'll support you ever more
                          This is now "your support is fucking shit".

Sorry tee rex, your post deserved a better follow up. Thanks, I'm watching and have shared.
                          Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 22-11-2022, 08:00.

Comment

Other than at Villa Park, 'Savo' was a familiar cry across Birmingham and the Black Country (and perhaps beyond) in the late 90s whenever an opposition striker missed an easy chance. A tribute to Villa's profligate striker Savo Milosevic.

Comment

Originally posted by No History ? My Arse View Post

It comes from a 1962 song Lets Go Pony by The Routers. Will let someone else attach a link if they want to
                              That's the vibrate pattern on my phone. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Scott Walker played bass on it as a session player.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                We've got various threads on popular songs/tunes getting an airing at football grounds, this seems as good a place as any ...

A mundane Div 2 game from 1968, Sheffield Utd v Oxford Utd. Thanks to the noisy home support (or the microphone placement by the BBC), it provides a good selection for football song historians. At least in the first half, until the chants fade away when (Spoiler!) the Blades go behind.

One in particular was a surprise. Several times you can hear a version of The Casuals' "(What am I supposed to do with a girl like) Jesamine?" (e.g. at 5:50, and when Sheffield have a corner at 15:00). Surprising because it had only just entered the charts and on that date was at no.22. Not even a real hit yet (peaked at 2 later).

That must be a strong claim for the quickest ever move from hit-to-terrace, from Radio 1 to Match Of The Day, almost literally overnight.

(other items of interest ... some famous names in the two teams, and the headlines at the end, including - trivia fans - Nick Hornby's first game at Highbury, the opening chapter of Fever Pitch).
                                'Here's to you, Colin Addison. We all love you more than you will know'.

Other than that, I was reminded that, even at the age of 18, Tony Currie was a great player and that Kenneth Wolstenholme, at any age, was an awful commentator.
                                Last edited by cantagalo; 22-11-2022, 15:51.

Comment

Surviving knees up mother brown on the shelf side in the 70s was a miracle.

oooh it’s a corner
                                  oooh it’s a corner

score Tottenham score
                                  when you get one you’ll get more
                                  you’ll see this assembly
                                  when we get to wembley
                                  so come on Tottenham score

if I had the wings of a sparrow
                                  if I had the arse of cow
                                  id fly over Highbury tomorrow
                                  and shit on the bastards below

we’ll take more care of you
                                  Archibald Archibald

this last to the tune of a BA advert from early 80s

Comment

(I think it was ‘crow’ rather than ‘cow’.)

Comment

The arse of a crow?

Comment

Well, unless you have flying cows around your neck of the woods, it would make greater sense.

(Plus, there’s the rhyme and all that…)

Comment

Surely it's proposing a mythical beast half sparrow, half cow which would fly easily over Highbury and then shit massively

Comment

Well, perhaps - but rhyming ‘cow’ with ‘below’ would fail even the Tottenham Nutters’ entrance exam.

Comment

The rhyming argument I get. It's just the idea of a sparrow with a crow's arse doesn't seem that extreme

Comment

I thought it was Eagle and Cow

Comment

To be fair, a pair of sparrow wings wouldn't come close to lifting a cow's arse off the ground let alone flying over Highbury with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                                    To be fair, a pair of sparrow wings wouldn't come close to lifting a cow's arse off the ground let alone flying over Highbury with it.
                                                    It could grip it by the husk

Comment

Working...
                                                    X