There it went

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    I hear the sound of distant bums; over there, over there.
    My dad always refers to that one when talking about The Golden Age.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
      The chant that was ubiquitous in my early teenage years was "We hate Nottingham Forest...but (Our Team) we love you" to the tune of Land of Hope and Glory. Curiously that seemed to die out when Forest got successful under Brian Clough.
      I always thought Forest Fans must have been really pissed off at being the only supporters in the world who couldn't sing that.
      Liverpool still give that an airing now and again, it's the second line of "We hate Everton too (THEY'RE SHIT!!)" which keeps it in the songbook, I suspect.

You don't hear "Build a bonfire" very often these days, or "You're gonna get your fucking heads kicked in!".

Comment

Yeah lots of hoolie ones – "You're going home in a [insert regional health authority here] ambulance", "You'll never make the station" – have mercifully gone.

You don't really hear "we love you [my team], we do" anymore either

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
          Yeah lots of hoolie ones – "You're going home in a [insert regional health authority here] ambulance", "You'll never make the station" – have mercifully gone.

You don't really hear "we love you [my team], we do" anymore either
          maybe not at Orient ;-)... I've heard it at more than one ground this/last season.

Comment

We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds, Leeds and Leeds (etc), we all fucking hate Leeds.

Comment

The problem with “Distant Bums” - at Newport at least - was that as the song began the police had a good few minutes to get into position before the line with the expletive was sung. Right on cue they’d then pluck a few perpetrators out of the choir and eject them.

Every home game.

Supporters just gave up on it.

Comment

Don't people still sing "We all hate Leeds (scum)" to the tune of Tom Hark?

Comment

Seems Doncaster is the last outpost for a lot of these chants...

'The clapping Da Da Da-Da-Da Da-Da Da-Da (insert two syllable team name here)' still gets a regular airing; with Rovers not Doncaster.

Doncaster is sung to the tune of 'Here we go'

And 'We love you Rovers, we do' also still gets sung reasonably often too.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post

'The clapping Da Da Da-Da-Da Da-Da Da-Da (insert two syllable team name here)' still gets a regular airing; with Rovers not Doncaster.

The local variations of the first and third are still present and correct at Carlisle games. Though we don't often precede the first with 'Molly Malone' these days.

On the Land of Hope and Glory chant earlier, we sang "we hate Nottingham Forest, we hate Sunderland too", and then the third slot was up for grabs, I seem to remember Derby County and Queens Park Rangers both being featured even though neither had anything to do with Carlisle.

On the same theme (literally) we used to sing "we will follow United, over land and sea and [insert forthcoming away opponents here]", even when our only prospect of travelling overseas for a game was our occasional appearance at the Isle of Man football festival.

Comment

The Scottish ('diddy teams'**) version when I were a lad was 'We hate Glasgow Rangers, we hate Celtic too...'

(**in case wittoner is reading this- the quote marks indicate that I am referring to Old Firm fans' reference to teams like us in those terms, not that the author in any way endorses such a position)

Comment

Does anyone know where the Da Da Da-Da-Da Da-Da Da-Da (insert two syllable team name here) originattes from?

I was pleasantly surprised as a young football fan to hear it on a documentary abo9ut May '68, where it was a chant:

Ce n'est/ qu'un début/, continuons le/ com-bat

(This is only the start, let's keep fighting).

Influence of radical left internationalism on football chants in England..? (Probably that McLaren and his situationist mates)

Comment

It features on the soundtrack to The Italian Job too of course, so that would put it as pre 1969 in England / the UK at least.

Comment

I've never heard (or recognised) the 'Distant Bums' one, what era was that in?

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post

Bury have often been called the most boring fans in the League, and I felt that was justified by us still singing a lot of these too.

Members of the Norwegian Supporters' Club were sitting behind me at the Shrewsbury game. Rather than the rolling "CORRRRR MONNNNN BURRRRR-EH!" they were really clipped and precise in their delivery, so 'Come on Bury' came out as 'COH-MON-BUR-REH!' which made me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                1960s, From Jim Reeves 1966 No.1 "Distant Drums"

Comment

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly
                                  Heard of the North Stand, Highbury?
                                  Bill said No, I Don't think so,
                                  But I've heard of the Rotherham boot-boys

Comment

What's the tune on that one, GO?

Comment

I can remember it, but can't remember what it's based on.

Comment

All I want is a bottle and a brick,
                                        Hand-grenade and a walking-stick,
                                        Two Wednesday fans to boot and kick,
                                        Oh, wouldn't it be luverly...

Comment

Tiptoe through the Trent End
                                          With a razor blade
                                          and a sawn off shotgun
                                          Tiptoe through the Trent End with me

To Tiny Tims Tiptoe through the tulips.

Comment

I was born under the Railway End
                                            I was born under the Railway End
                                            Boots are made for booting
                                            Fists are made to smack
                                            If you hit 'em hard enough,
                                            They end up on their back.

Comment

Sadly the ones that I remember from the late sixties/very early seventies don't appear to be very pleasant, do they...

Comment

One man went to war, went to war with Arsenal,
                                                One man and his baseball bat...went to war with Arsenal.
                                                Two men went to war...etc.

Happy days, eh?

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                I got the Jim Reeves reference, but have no idea as to what the revised version means.

Comment

It was aimed at opposition fans singing their own songs.

Comment

Not heard it since the very early seventies, mind.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X