Thor : Ragnarok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thor : Ragnarok

No comment on this yet? I know Marvel/superhero movies are ubiquitous at the moment and there is a tendency to look down on them here but this is a quite different proposition.

Director Taika Waititi has really stamped his own identity all over the film to produce the most explicitly comedic offering yet in the genre. Obviously Deadpool and the Guardians of the Galaxy were already pushing things in this direction but this takes it to a new level.

My previous knowledge of Waititi was his work on ‘Flight of the Conchords’ and the excellent ‘What We Do In The Shadows’ and the spirit of those pervade the film (somehow I’ve not managed to see ‘Hunt For The Wilderpeople’ yet but people have told me I’ll love it).

Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo play Thor and Hulk as characters in a buddy movie and it’s significant that Jeff Goldblum’s appearance is far more indicative of the film as a whole than Cate Blanchett’s overblown more typical Marvel “super” villain.

I loved it, going back and taking the children before before Xmas hopefully.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-11-2017, 11:52.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it as well. I'd agree that it has followed in the same vein as GOTG and there has been a lot more effort put into the characters rather than the action, I like the fact that Thor has found a sense of humour at last and the interchange between the characters made it a far more entertaining film that any CGI fight scenes could.
    This year has been a better year with regard to Superhero films. As well as this one there has been GOTG2 (not as good as the first bet still entertaining), the latest Spiderman reboot which has been a big improvement on the Andrew Garfield ones and the 3rd Tobey Maguire one, Wonder Woman, which has been the best DC film so far, and I've just been to see Justice League, which was not bad. A big improvement on previous post Dark Knight DC films, but was lacking a decent villain and was obviously a "putting the gang together" movie.

Comment

A question for those who've already been to see this: I've watched (and enjoyed) both the two previous Thor films, but I haven't seen any of the others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe's ever-proliferating smorgasbord of interconnected movies – not the Avengers ones, not the Captain Americas, not the latest Spider Man, none of them, bar the original Iron Man and the first Guardians of the Galaxy. At this stage of the MCU's 'evolution', it is still possible for me to go and watch Thor: Ragnarok and enjoy (or even understand) it properly, given that the amount of tangential stuff I'm unaware of relating to all the other films and characters in the franchise is only going up and up?

Comment

At this stage of the MCU's 'evolution', it is still possible for me to go and watch Thor: Ragnarok and enjoy (or even understand) it properly, given that the amount of tangential stuff I'm unaware of relating to all the other films and characters in the franchise is only going up and up?

Yes, simply because it's a good laugh. The sensible move by Marvel to forget the dour, empty tone of Thor: The Dark World and go for the comedy quotient has paid off here, and it's worth your time if you simply require a fun couple of hours (even so, I don't think it's that long).

Comment

You could watch this as a stand alone film and enjoy it, but it's probably worth watching the previous Thor movies, and perhaps even the two Avengers films (the second one might seem a bit of a chore, mind) to tie in some of the references, and I'd certainly recommend watching the previous two Thor movies and the first Avengers to understand the relationship between Thor and Loki.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
            A question for those who've already been to see this: I've watched (and enjoyed) both the two previous Thor films, but I haven't seen any of the others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe's ever-proliferating smorgasbord of interconnected movies – not the Avengers ones, not the Captain Americas, not the latest Spider Man, none of them, bar the original Iron Man and the first Guardians of the Galaxy. At this stage of the MCU's 'evolution', it is still possible for me to go and watch Thor: Ragnarok and enjoy (or even understand) it properly, given that the amount of tangential stuff I'm unaware of relating to all the other films and characters in the franchise is only going up and up?
            Yeah, you’re good given you’ve seen the previous Thor movies.

You could enjoy it without having seen them but half of the fun of the tone of this film being so markedly different to its predecessors (as Ian says above) is savouring the contrast...as well as just the outright laughs and the fact it’s a fantastic romp of a movie.

Comment

Yeah, I certainly wasn't expecting The Dark World to be followed up with Thor: The Comical Buddy Movie, until I read this thread, but hey it sounds good anyway.

I've just been flicking through the 25-odd pages of stuff stored on the DVR and thus reminded myself I've actually got the first Avengers movie recorded on there from the Christmas Day before last, so I could certainly catch up on that first in theory, per Sean's suggestion – though he seems to have missed my mentioning how I have seen the first two Thor ones, and from the sounds of what ian and Ray say it seems I should be just fine based on having seen those two.

I'm not really sure why I've watched them given I had no more prior knowledge of or interest in the character than I do any of the other Avengers, and I haven't been arsed to catch up with the rest of the franchise thus far. I think the intrigue of Ken Branagh having directed Thor made me have a look though, and I really enjoyed it, so I've just taken it from there really.

Comment

I had noticed you mention watching the first two Thor films, but I was attempting to give a response that applied to anyone rather than just yourself. With regard to the first avengers movie , it fills the gap between the two Thor movies with regard to the Thor/Loki narrative, but there is a very important Hulk reference as well in there that appears in Ragnarok.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  No comment on this yet?
                  It was discussed at length weeks ago on the Current Watching thread.

Comment

I thought that was only for TV, it certainly should be.

The film is well worth its own thread though, those sprawling inchoate mega-threads are rubbish.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-11-2017, 08:23.

Comment

Just pointing you in the direction of other stuff people have said about it.

Comment

Oh no, I appreciate that, thanks.

I’ve actually since found a thread someone started ( and I contributed to) when the trailer came out in the spring saying it looked awful.

That was clearly nonsense so I’m glad I didn't disinter it.

Comment

I know you hate mega threads, but I'm wondering if we need a Marvel Comic Universe (MCU as it's known among nerds) thread. Because there are so many crossover bits it seems to make sense to have it all in one place.

Comment

I love Taika Waititi, but not everybody in London feels the same ...

https://thespinoff.co.nz/tv/10-05-20...jose-mourinho/

Comment

Working...
                            X