Favourite Mario game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Mario game?

I'm going to opt for Mario 64 because it just felt epic to be running round in 3D after the traditional platformers.

Super Mario World on the SNES is probably my second favourite because Yoshi!!

Mrs Thistle completed Sunshine and both the Galaxies. I did most of them.

Your faves?

Super Mario World is the only game I would ever describe as perfect. The graphics, sound, controls, level design, power-ups all ladled with bucketloads of charm and variety.

I'm no good at 3D platformers so maybe I haven't got as much out of the likes of Mario 64 or the Galaxy games as I should.

Are we allowed to mention spin-offs? Because most of the Kart and Golf games are superb.

Comment

I've not done the golf games. Super Smash Football was quite fun. Every incarnation of Kart annoys me in some way.

Dr Mario on the SNES was great fun. Mrs Thistle the undisputed champion of versus mode in our house.

Comment

Super Mario Kart on SNES was amazing.

Comment

Back in the days of the 8- and 16-bit consoles we had Sega. But in '97 I got my N64 and have been on board with Nintendo ever since.

My time at uni coincided with the N64 and GameCube eras and the four player facility was brilliant. The three key titles were Kart, Smash Bros and Party (both generations).

I have some great memories of Party (the first time the screen flashed up "BUS BUFFER" and you were instantly tasked with mopping paint off a bus's roof) and Smash Bros (which helped launch the Metroid reboots, and was a perfectly balanced beat em up).

Mario Kart remains my favourite of these three in the years since because it's the most rewarding as a single player. I still have my GameCube controllers, which I use for Mario Kart Wii. I don't have any of the more recent versions than that though now I've got the mini SNES I've been hammering Super Mario Kart as well.

SMK is the least forgiving version I've played. The CPU players cheat by hopping over each other's items, and there are fewer items that can get you back into the bunch if you fall off. The mid-field battles can be brutal especially with Mario and Luigi able to go invincible almost at will. But on the flip side it rewards careful choice of line (even slowing down for corners, something I'd never done on any other MK version) as it's hard to pull a lead back in once you've established it. The shorter courses mean you really can have a quick game but there's certainly a lot more depth in the later versions.

Not sure if Yoshi's Island counts (Baby Mario on his back and the full title technically says Super Mario World 2). Even in 16-bit, it somehow still looks amazing in a way that Super Mario World doesn't.

But the gold medal has to go to Galaxy. It's utterly flawless.
          Last edited by Kevin S; 24-11-2017, 20:02.

Comment

Never got on with Paper Mario games.

Comment

No, Paper Mario was an odd one. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is on my fantasy wish list. I only played it for a week rented from Blockbuster.

I saw a copy a couple of years ago for £60. I regret not buying it.

Comment

As mentioned on Not Current Gaming, I now have a mini SNES so have been playing Yoshi's Island. The Mario RPG that's also included is rubbish.

Comment

Mario Kart on the SNES and Mario Kart Wii. I haven't played versions of Mario Kart on other systems, though.

I've got the SNES version on the Wii but I find it difficult to play - I can't adjust to the graphics.

Comment

Working...
                  X