Britannica 1768

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britannica 1768

Turky in Europe, comprehends Romania, Bulgaria, Servia, Bosnia, Ragusa, Wallachia, Moldavia, Bessarabia, Budzjac, Crim, and little Tartary, with Albania, Epirus, Macedonia, Thessaly, and all the ancient Greece, with its numerous islands.

PARAMECIA, in natural history, a name given to such animalcules as have no visible limbs and tails, and are of an irregularly oblong figure.

Comment

PARASELENE, a mock moon, a meteor, or phenomenon, encompassing, or adjacent to, the moon, in the form of a luminous ring, wherein are sometimes observed one, sometimes two, apparent images of the moon.

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Verily, it describeth the mondial peregrinations of the eighteenth-century, as transcribed by the original editors of the august reference book.

Comment

Physicians prescribe seltzer water in many cases, as scurvies, spasmodic affections, and in consumptions; in the last case, mixing it with asses milk.

Comment

Are we gonnae get the whole shebang Diable? It’ll be like TOTP on BBC4. Do a letter a month. Can’t wait for v.

Comment

There's a Twitter account for this.

Comment

There was me thinking Diable was leafing through some dusty tome.

Comment

I had a brief spell selling EB in the early 80s- in magherafelt the town that makes Roston Vasey look like Beverley Hills

Comment

We had the 11th edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica It was wonderful. Leather bindings. Onion skin paper. And being able to hold what seemed like the whole world in your hands.

Comment

Hmmm, there might be a copy of that one back in the family home; if not that one, then the next edition. I'll check at Christmas.

Comment

As a boy I was given my Mum's (b. 1930) childhood encyclopaedia / knowledge book set. From memory there were about eight of them, big, heavy and dull dark blue. One was heavily marked on its covers after being top of the pile in a house fire. I learned all about The Great War, the Empire, primitive peoples and many other important facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            Hmmm, there might be a copy of that one back in the family home; if not that one, then the next edition. I'll check at Christmas.
                            It's the fourteenth edition. I wonder what it's worth.

Comment

Not a great deal

Comment

Oh well. Where would be a good home for it?

Comment

You might find a school or library who would take it.

Comment

Working...
                                  X