Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It couldn't be forever

David Cassidy has died.

I liked him more than Donny Osmond, back when they were vying for the screams of "teenyboppers". His family (fictional) was more fun than Donny's (real). And I was too young then to really resent the stars who got the girls, that only kicked in a couple of years later when bloody Travolta corrupted sweet Olivia.

But Cassidy doesn't seem to have had an enviable life at all. Who would want suffocating stardom for a brief flicker, and then decades of trying to cope? Poor sod.

My sister had his posters all over her wall. He was a good-looking chap, and he had talent which wasn't really taken seriously because he was a teen idol.

I think I saw him on stage in London in a musical called Time, which I didn't like very much.

Comment

He was on Mrs. S' girlhood bedroom walls too, and certainly always seemed a nice chap who had a crap life. A friend sent Mrs. S some triple CDs issued under the brand of the old Jackie magazine they all read. There are a few of his songs on there, and he could really sing. RIP

Comment

"He's awfully effeminate." (My mother, on watching Cassidy's promo for Daydreamer on TOTP in 1973.)

He had his moments - I've always thought his rendition of How Can I Be Sure? was more than decent (it's a good song anyway) and quite like the dramatic build of Could it Be Forever. As others have said, he had talent. However, he had fame and a great deal of unwanted attention from a ridiculously-young age, and never seems to have been able to overcome this fully throughout his life.

RIP.

Comment

He was well gorgeous. I still love I Think I Love You, loved the pop hits and liked his "raunchy" phase (Rock Me), which didn't do that well.

A lovely, warm voice and a nice presence.

RIP

Comment

We started binging The Partridge Family box set with the kids last year and then got sidetracked. I'm not looking forward to "Since we last met, he's died and she's died."

Comment

I couldn't remember which one of my ex-girlfriends kissed a poster of David Cassidy every morning and set a bowl of cornflakes out for it. Then I remembered that one of my exes was the cousin of the girl that got crushed to death at one of his gigs.

Comment

Working...
              X