Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What became of those people we used to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Why 'do' the likes of Shaw and Bolam do this? Are they under some kind of illusion that increased availability of their popular early work is going to be somehow undermining to their latter profiles?
    In Shaws case, he hated The Professionals because he always considered himself to be a Proper Serious Ac-tor. I think there is a bit about him in Taylors superb Professionals piece about Shaw slagging off the show inside the shows own Christmas Annual. - http://thequietus.com/articles/14873-the-professionals

Here's another quote from Martin Shaw: "I don't find much in The Professionals to make me explore myself as an artist." The source for that one? Ummm... the 1979 Professionals annual.

Comment

It's especially funny in Shaw's case as he's spent the latter years of his career in nonsense like Judge John Deed and Inspector George Gently, both of which make The Professionals look like an Arthur Miller play by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
        In Shaws case, he hated The Professionals because he always considered himself to be a Proper Serious Ac-tor. I think there is a bit about him in Taylors superb Professionals piece about Shaw slagging off the show inside the shows own Christmas Annual. - http://thequietus.com/articles/14873-the-professionals
        They went ahead and published that?

Next week: Hidden track on recently-remastered Partridge Family Album found to contain David Cassidy quote: "Don't watch the show, it's b*llocks."*

(*Obviously not a widely-used expression in early-seventies LA, but whatever...)

Comment

[QUOTE=wittoner;1370769]
          Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
          Despite the 'Northern working class' typecasting my auld fella's memories were of him lying on his bunk reading poetry.

Is it "Northern" people or "Working Class " people who aren't supposed to read poetry in your world?
          What ARE you wittonering on about?!

When I was his (national service) age it was all Sartre and De Beauvoir in my Fife cooncil hoose, dahling

Comment

And if you're from Fife then I'm a southerner to you anyway so let's shake hands and forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
              And if you're from Fife then I'm a southerner to you anyway so let's shake hands and forget it.
              Happy to!

Comment

So I did my Billy Liar sessions. Only 1 group out of 3 found it funny but more surprising was that none of the local students knew Bewes or The Likely Lads.

Comment

Working...
                X