No announcement yet.

Campaign For Real Shale - Speedway 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So momentous that Radio Five's Up All Night devoted around ten minutes discussing it. Which means that the national sport station can go back to ignoring the sport probably until the British GP rolls around. And then only if Tai wins it.

Comment

Poole take a massive 53-37 lead from last night in to tomorrow’s second leg of the Grand Final at King’s Lynn.

The Stars had a shocking start going down 20-4 in the first four races but then clawing it back to a respectable 8 point deficit near the end of the meeting before two consecutive crooked decisions of the type that always favour Poole turned the momentum back towards them.

Can barely be bothered watching the second leg, the sport in this country is rigged towards one team. Such a frustrating own goal for British speedway just days after Tai’s triumph.

Comment

Poole won the Final by four points on aggregate, less than the margin Monday’s crooked decisions gave them.

Wankers. I desperately hope Bomber signs for someone else next season.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-10-2018, 23:04.

Comment

I haven't seen any of the meeting from Monday but the crowing of the Poole fans on the speedway updates site tonight is just boorish. They are sour losers, really unpleasant victors and think the entire sport revolves around them.

Comment

It stinks.

Comment

Lakeside Hammers’ promoter stepping aside and looks likely to sell/mothball the club.

The sport is definitely experiencing a major meltdown in this country and I’m not sure where it goes next. I’ve been meaning to start a 2019 thread but in the current circumstances I’m not sure it’s worth it until we see what the next step is.

Comment

Things aren't looking great for 2019 are they.

How many teams will even reach the tapes. There are murmurings surrounding a number of clubs including the one that swept the board in the Championship. 29 clubs started this season next year is looking like Wolves, Poole and Swindon on an endless loop.

Comment

The last time I stopped going to speedway it took 15 years to bring me back. I've already been away for 2 and I can't think of anything short of a root & branch revamp that would entice me back this time. But there never will be. Because they just don't get it. They have control of the top level of one of the most exciting sports in the world and they just don't get it.

Comment

The overriding message of what was billed as a crucial and pivotal AGM is “Everything is rosy so we’re carrying on as before”.

Absolute shambles, I should put this in a 2019 thread but I don’t know if I can be bothered starting one. With the line up of the top two tiers confirming they will have no clubs competing within sixty miles of London I’m not sure how much of the sport I’ll actually see next season.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-11-2018, 19:20.

Comment

I bought last week'sSpeedway Star yesterday, because it was a pre-AGM special with all kinds of people putting their ideas forward. I'm only halfway through it but I think I read more than the idiots at the BSPA. A 7-team top league? A fudge on doubling-up? Fixed racenights remain with absolutely no benefits to anyone? Every year you think they might get it right, might get the clue that they've gone so badly wrong, and every year we get this shit.

Comment

I missed a minor - but important- detail: 3 of the 7 teams in the top league are owned by the same man.

Comment

A friend of mine in Florida has just put a bunch of cash into Plymouth Speedway and they have renamed/rebranded the team as the Gladiators....

Comment

Ah, saw that. Presume your friend is Steve Luxton? Wou’d be interested in hearing Greenlander’s views on it all. I’m against rebrands for obvious reasons, not least because Rye House’s (admittedly more minor) one was the first daft, crass decision the owners BMR made on the way to destroying the club.

Speaking of which, as we enter the new year it’s clear that no speedway will happen at Rye House or anywhere really near London with not even a National League side racing at Hoddesdon - which had been the vain hope of some of us. Even the Kent Kings have been stymied by the local council unexpectedly refusing their application to race on a Saturday and/or push their ridiculously early curfew back.

Still not sure what, if any, club speedway I’ll regularly watch next season. Peterborough have put a good side together and it’s a great track which was accessible on their old race time of Sunday afternoon but the move to the Premiership and consequent Monday or Thursday racenights make it untenable. Swindon is the same and I’m less keen on that track, though the new one is promised soon.

Eastbourne stepping up to the Championship looks promising but not sure when they’ll race yet. Maybe it’ll be a summer of ticking off as many of the remaining tracks in the British leagues as possible and seeing more Grand Prixs. Will start a 2019 thread when it all seems clearer.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-01-2019, 11:49.

Comment

Yes it is Steve Luxton. He sponsors a number of riders in the UK already and was a sponsor of the IOW team. I met him a number of years ago when he came up to New York for our annual meetings and see him every year. I managed to offload 10 years worth of Speedway DVD's on him recently when clearing out. He's originally from Exeter and was a regular at the County Ground and rode for their cycle speedway team in the late 70's. He made his mark over here as a star on the TV series ' The Gladiators' - hence the branding.... Not a fan of the re-branding - I hated the Kings Lynn Knights re-brand. A stain on our history.

Comment

Luxton's the guy with a museum in his garage, right? I'm looking at going into my third season with no speedway on the horizon. Like Ray said, Peterborough look good but that fixed night thing can do one. What a disaster!

Comment

Workington Comets won't compete in 2019, after their most successful season yet in 2018. They are applying for their licence to be suspended and return in 2020, their 50th anniversary (although their history hasn't been unbroken since 1970).

Comment

That's Workington, Rye House, Lakeside and Buxton (have I missed any?) out of action permanently or temporarily since the middle of last season. Still the BSPA tell us there are no siginificant problems with how the sport is being run and they passed up the opportunity for any substantial change to address the problems again.

Comment

Working...
                                    X