No announcement yet.

Campaign For Real Shale - Speedway 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where would speedway be without vacuum and rumour. Interesting that the fixed race nights have become an issue. Quite a few Plymouth fans have travelled to watch Somerset on a Wednesday whereas before we always used to clash on a Friday. By all accounts the crowds there aren't much better than the 4-500 that we get.

It wouldn't be like the SCB to sell Rye House and Somerset a pup just to get them to switch leagues now would it.

Whatever happens I hope you can make it through.

Comment

If only people had said that fixed race nights wouldn’t work. Oh, wait, they did. Lots of them. Rye House, like Birmingham before it, has been sold down the river to keep the top league afloat. This sport is the WORST.

Comment

I don't think it's just that, though it's probably a major factor in the current problems (though we don't yet know exactly what is going on still).

The promoters have made mistakes, betrayed their naivete (and possibly a lack of real interest) in speedway and alienated people with many of their decisions.

Ultimately, they could have said that if fixed race nights were a condition of riding in the top tier than they'd drop back to the second level.

Comment

Sadly inevitable news coming out of Rye House. Sorry HT I just hope something can happen that will keep the Rockets alive if not this season then the next.

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.34924

Comment

Gutted. Was always worried that BMR’s naïveté and ignorance regarding the sport may lead to them over-reaching and that’s proved to be the case. The fixed race nights may have been the final nail in the coffin but there were other problems.

Last season’s debut top flight campaign was great fun and watching a quality set of riders turn out for the Rockets was wonderful but I would rather have stayed in (or dropped back to) the second tier to safeguard racing at the track. Len Silver always said top flight speedway was unsustainable there.

Hope that we get planning for next season but pissed off and angry right now.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-07-2018, 20:34.

Comment

I'm gutted for you. A weekday night is never going to work when fans (and riders) have to navigate the M25. Will the stadium be safe from developers grasp long enough to try and ensure some sort of continuity. London (such as Hoddesdon is) can't lose it's remaining track.

Comment

Apparently it is a sports/leisure use only covenant on the stadium which is on a long lease from, I believe, the council.

Not that is any guarantee of anything.

Comment

Been quiet on here for a while after Rye House shutting down (temporarily, at least) as I am feeling immensely pissed off about the situation for the club and what it illustrates for the wider sport. I popped along to meetings at Lakeside and Kent Kings as a methadone but didn’t see great fixtures which didn’t help my mood.

What did lift my shale-related spirits was going to yesterday’s British Grand Prix at the Millennium Stadium. Both because it was probably the best GP I’ve seen there (despite some nasty looking crashes involving Cook and Doyle) and as it was the first one I’ve taken my son to and he absolutely LOVED it - he’s always enjoyed the odd club meeting before but this was a different level for him.

Tai managed to stretch his lead in the championship even further (he’s now twenty points ahead of his nearest challenger at the halfway stage of this season’s ten meeting series) but could only come second in the Grand Final to the undisputed best rider on the night, Bartosz Zmarzlik.

So a much-needed personal boost and a reminder that speedway is the most exciting sport in the world - we just need to harness what the GP does so well as a one-off in to the domestic scene without losing the best aspects of the character of the club competitions.

Comment

Yes, cheers, Ray. Only caught half of it and appear to have missed the really great riding that seemed to be in the earlier heats but saw the crashes later on. Shame for Cook as it would have been good to see how he ended up if he had got to the final. Glad to see that Doyle is ok. Lambert had a lively meeting, didn't he? That was amazing of him to slide the bike out of the way while Doyle was crashing (assuming it was on purpose). Great day out and I must see more club meetings.

Comment

This looks very interesting, an "Ashes" Test Match at Britain's best club track.

I was actually going to be in Glasgow anyway that weekend to see a mixture of European Track Cycling Championships, football and the Tigers planned Friday night meeting so have got my ticket already.

Comment

That looks brilliant and in a brilliant city as well.

Comment

Tim Webster has been hanging around the Devils for the last few seasons, helping out, spannering and doing practice days finally got his chance on Friday. He last rode in the NL for the one-season wonder NL side the Devon Demons with an 8-point average so was propelled straight into the number three race jacket.

So on to heat three and out of the gate like he'd never been away and into a decent lead. Then on bend three he seemed to lock, probably needed to put throttle on but didn't and went straight into the air fence on the fourth bend. It looked painful and eventually he was carried to the pits. The word was he'd shattered his pelvis "crushed his nuts" as one of the promoters more straightly put it.

From then on the meeting struggled on as the paramedic spent her time between tending to Tim and centre green duties, but by heat eight and with no sign of the ambulance and his pain relief getting too much the meeting was abandoned.

So Tim Webster's come back lasted less than a lap, but it starkly shows how dangerous the sport is when a rider with some decent experience at NL level rider though three years out if it tries again. He's still in hospital but turns out he's got tendon and cartilage damage and no broken bones.

Knowing speedway riders he'll be clambering for that jacket back when he's fixed up.

Comment

Ouch, sounds horrible.

Yesterday’s Ashes Test Match was a great event with a successful crowd around the 2,500 capacity but GB got hammered 33-57 by Australia. Woffinden was the only British rider to be competitive, scoring 12 of the points while all the others struggled.

A very worthwhile event but GB need to put out a less ad hoc team next time.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-09-2018, 16:54.

Comment

I'm surprised no-one has notice the news about Lakeside Hammers. Arena Essex has been sold and a new town will be built in its place.

http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/new...unces-closure/

Comment

The Lakeside promotion swiftly refuted, or at least ameliorated the current track owners claims.

Comment

What exactly are the exciting plans formulated by the BSPA for 2019 though?

Comment

Speculation is that it will be the much-desired “One Big League” combining the current Premiership and Championship clubs in to something like a twenty team league. This will probably mean forgetting about foreign GP riders but that’s all but happened already.

It may mean northern and southern conferences with the play-offs made up of the top two from each. Something fundamental is needed to address the issues of costs and race nights for most clubs, this feels like an even more pessimistic season for the sport in Britain than usual.

Of course, it could just mean that the BSPA have nothing really planned and Lakeside are just hoping against hope.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-08-2018, 18:38.

Comment

Thinking about it I've never known a season like it for injuries.

The Plymouth track has been incredibly dusty for weeks and the hot, dry weather has definitely affected the preparation. Apparently we're not alone but getting decent shale has been an issue nationwide. The delivery last week has ameliorated the red cloud but not the injuries.

And because I like a list:

Adam Roynon: went into the fence at IoW - broken collarbone
                                      Bradley Andrews: fell at the SBA - shoulder/ collarbone
                                      Ben Hopwood: collided with his partner, Ellis Perks, on the first bend - broken ankle
                                      Macauley Leek: collided with another rider - dislocated shoulder
                                      Tim Webster: into the airfence - tendons, cartliage and ligament damage

It's possible that Bradley and Macauley might race again this season, the others probably not. Adam Roynon has enough metal in him to set off alarm bells at airport security. His dad curates the track and showed me a couple of his x-rays the other night. He'll be back sure enough and probably break something else too.

Oh and not forgetting we suddenly find ourselves in a play-off spot though with both Mildenhall and, more importantly, Eastbourne holding on to it might be tricky.

Ray - get yourself to Kent if and when they race Mildenhall, not only are they a great side to watch, they have the real rising star in the NL in Drew Kemp who has gone from a 3-point reserve last August when he was old enough to race to heat leader to a number one jacket with a 9-point average. If Dan Bewley is good, this kid is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        Speculation is that it will be the much-desired “One Big League” combinging the current Premiership and Championship clubs in to something like a twenty team league. This will probably mean forgetting about foreign GP riders but that’s all but happened already.

It may mean northern and southern conferences with the play-offs made up of the top two from each. Something fundamental is needed to address the issues of costs and race nights for most clubs, this feels like an even more pessimistic season for the sport in Britain than usual.

Of course, it could just mean that the BSPA have nothing really planned and Lakeside are just hoping against hope.
                                        Agree about the pessimism, there are plenty of murmurs in the NL that Coventry along with Stoke are struggling.

A North-South split with clubs free to choose their race nights seems the more logical. Keep the KOC on a nationwide basis from the start. There's surely not enough decent quality riders to go around if the foreign ones don't race here for the one big league. They'd need to find a couple more clubs too. The most radical option would be six man teams - it would give everyone an extra race and so the potential for more money.

Whatever Poole and Wolves want is what'll happen.

Comment

I’ve heard a lot about Kemp and the Speedway Star we’re getting very excited about him the other week. Mildenhall are generally thought to be an entertaining side too. I’ll check out the fixtures but I’d be as interested in seeing them at home as at Kent, though it’s bloody miles away.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-08-2018, 16:50.

Comment

Mildenhall is a wonderful place to watch speedway!

One big league might tempt be back a bit, if done right. I have no faith in their ability to get anything right, though.

Comment

Oh yeah, I’ve been there before and loved it. The baked potato I had there was the best food I’ve ever had at speedway too.

When I have been I’m always fascinated as to exactly how they staged the legendary 1982 East Anglian Rock festival.

Comment

Mildenhall romped home against a depleted Devils side last night extending their winning run to 13 meetings.

Even without Drew Kemp they were far too strong as Plymouth could only track two regulars and had to rely on a couple of unattached reserves but for all that the racing was top draw and Heat 13 was possibly the best heat of speedway I've ever seen.

Three riders came out level from the second bend and proceeded to race like that to the flag. It could have finished 3-3, 2-4 or 1-5 but it was Ben Morley who got there first. How no one came off or clipped one of the others I'll never know. Danny Ayres who finished second was so gutted not to win he was punching his bike in frustration at the end. It was a truly exhilarating minute of sport and why speedway is so brilliant. It could have graced the GP it was that good.

Comment

Sounds great, let us knowing it turns up on video.

I’ve not seen any meetings since the Cardiff GP and want to try and finish the season with a chunk of them. Think I may get to Swindon v Poole on Bank Holiday Monday evening and may even try and get anothe one in that afternoon.

Still have an eye on getting to Torun at the end of the season and maybe another GP to try and see Tai win the title life again.

Comment

Ronnie Moore has joined Ivan Mauger. Of the famous Kiwi trio, only Barry Briggs (83) is still with us.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X