No announcement yet.

Campaign For Real Shale - Speedway 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will make it down at some point - more interested in Coventry B than Coventry Bees...

Comment

"Coventry B"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        "Coventry B"?
        Harris, Nicholls, Kennett, Kasprzak, Robson, Summers...

Comment

Ah, I like to think of them as a Masters seven a side team for you.

Comment

Like you I was wondering about the other deaths at Poole and, probably also like you found this list of rider deaths at speedway.
            I was at the Wick when Denny Pyeatt was unfortunately killed on the third bend. In fact I have a couple of pictures from the race in which he was killed and the immediate aftermath after he hit the lightpost. 'Luckily' I ran out of film with the shot of the riders running onto the track. A few years back, after a meeting in New York, I spent an a few hours hanging out, drinking and chatting at a overnight bbq, drinking session at the trackside with Bobby Schwartz and others. Boogaloo still gets quite upset when talking about Denny. (they both rode for Reading Racers for those that are not familiar).
            Last edited by Exiled off Main Street; 15-05-2018, 19:42.

Comment

Christ, quite a story EOMS. Wasn’t Schwartz still racing until recently, in to his fifties?

Caught up with last night’s televised meeting and it’s a good one, Belle Vue’s National Speedway Stadium seems to have an excellent track - hope to get there this season.

Comment

Christ, quite a story EOMS. Wasn’t Schwartz still racing until recently, in to his fifties?
                Boogaloo is *still riding/competing* in California. See his results from the other week

Scratch Consolation
                14n - Billy Janniro
                6 - Shawn McConnell
                66 - Jason Ramirez
                11 - Bobby Schwartz

https://www.speedwaybikes.com/res201...esa-180512.htm

Comment

Bloody hell, he must be in his sixties.

Comment

According to a post on the Devils FB page earlier he was World Pairs champion in 1982. Maybe late 50s?

Comment

62 in August! The American scene has quite a few veterans still going - Mike Faria (61), Shawn McConnell (59), and Eddie Castro (59) are all still winning races

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                        62 in August! The American scene has quite a few veterans still going - Mike Faria (61), Shawn McConnell (59), and Eddie Castro (59) are all still winning races
                        Bobby told me he races to have fun because he still loves to race, but he doesn't race to compete and win at all costs. Meaning, he's not going to take risks and get hurt to win a heat, if fails to make the gate. And of course, on small American tracks, riders don't get up to high speeds we see at the likes of Sheffield, Peterborough, Poland etc. As you can see from the highlights at Costa Mesa in my link above.

And of course, in the States, even Boogaloo needs to pay to race...
                        Last edited by Exiled off Main Street; 17-05-2018, 16:59.

Comment

A chance to sample racing from the home of speedway tonight as BT Sport 2 are televising Rye House Rockets v King’s Lynn Stars at 7:30pm tonight. Will be interesting to see how the daft motocross track in the centre green looks.

Comment

The GP from Prague on Saturday had a few good races. Sadly it looks like Craig Cook is struggling, despite some excellent gating.

Contemplating a trip to Belle Vue for the Speedway of Nations next Tuesday - prices are a bit steep but it’s a rare chance to see Tai on UK shale.

Comment

Yeah, only just caught up with the GP this evening and the letting got better and better as it went on. Marketa always seems a good track, I really want to make the Czech GP one day.

Pondering the “Speedway Of Nations” too as I’m yet to make it to the National Speedway Stadium but my schedule around it may rule it out.

Comment

Exciting news, as Jason B announces he is opening a new track in NY, located in Waterloo, NY - the Seneca Lake area. So we will be back to 2 tracks in NY later this summer.

As you were.

Comment

I enjoyed the second race-off of the new fangled 'Speedway Of Nations' pairs competition (the revamped World Cup) on BT on Monday. The format seemed superficially complex but worked well in practice and led to an exciting night's racing. The lesser speedway nations like France & Italy contributed enough to make their inclusion worthwhile and the Finns and Czechs had one genuinely competitive rider each.

That said, the likely suspects of Sweden, GB and Australia qualified for this weekend's two-legged final to join hosts Poland and Russia, Denmark and Germany from the first race-off. I haven't looked at the exact format of that yet but it's over Friday and Saturday evening.

It's also the British Individual Final on Monday from Belle Vue, that's on BT too. I think I'll be at Kent Kings for the first time this season with Eastbourne Eagles as the visitors, not sure how much speedway I'll see during the football World Cup.

Comment

SPOILERS FOR LAST NIGHT'S SoN...

So, despite not being remotely interested in the sport lately, I followed the second leg of the Speedway of Nations final last night, mainly because - after Friday's first leg - Great Britain were in an unusual pole position. Come the end of the night, after 42 heats, and 12 races for each team over two nights, GB were still there. But then they had a final. And it was a drawn heat. But because the Russians finished second and third, they won. Nice to have a reminder of why this sport is as shit as it is brilliant.

Comment

Fuck! Couldn’t watch it live and just settled down to catch it up and something went wrong with the recording, though got the sense GB had done well from the odd thing on social media before I zoomed past them for spoilers.

Will watch the highlights when they pop up in the next few days. What did you think of the format overall, HD?

Comment

I like it, but then I always liked the pairs back in the day. Back then we used to have individuals, pairs AND fours at world championship level, but no tiresome Grands Prix. Nostalgia isn't always wrong. It also allows more countries to be competitive - you only need 2 world class riders (or even 1 and a half, as in GB's case), rather than 4 or 5.

Comment

Was the 'second and third beats first and last in the event of a draw' rule in place in those days too?

I saw some third tier action for the first time this season last night, Kent Kings v Eastbourne Eagles in the National Trophy. I really like Central Park Stadium as a venue, especially the main football-style stand which affords great views of the racing, especially for a track with a greyhound course around it. I will admit that, early on, it felt like a poorer quality meeting than I'm used to at this level with each heat seeming to have at least one rider who was struggling to get round the track and plenty of falls.

Kent especially couldn't seem to get both riders to make a start all evening, they didn't manage a heat advantage until heat 5 and were actually behind all meeting right up until drawing level 42-42 in the penultimate heat and somehow a fantastic competitive meeting had crept up on us all. They were in a particularly good position as it was obvious they would pick the evening's outstanding riders, Luke Bowen and Jack Thomas, in the deciding heat. That they did but again only Bowen made the start and it was looking like a 3-3 and drawn meeting until Thomas made a stunning fourth bend pass on lap 2 to put them in a position to take a 4-2 and the lead for the first time in the evening with only two laps left. They held on to that score and clinched the win to a delirious crowd.

So, a good evening and I suppose it proves you don't need riding of the highest quality for exciting racing. The only real bugbear being my first sight of Eastbourne's new colours as, like Rye House, they have ditched the traditional blue & yellow and gone with a horrible faux Monster Energy black & neon green kevlars.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                                            Was the 'second and third beats first and last in the event of a draw' rule in place in those days too?
                                            In the event of a tie - only 4 times in 26 years - they had a match race between the top rider from each tied nation. Not perfect, but still better than a hash in a winner takes all final!

Comment

Kelvin Mullarkey has died, aged 61. He was a journeyman second division rider, who spent the lion’s share of his 18 year career with Rye House, including a nine-season spell where he didn’t miss a single meeting.

Comment

Is it true that Rye House have folded?

I see their home meeting tonight was called off yesterday and it certainly can't have been weather related.

Commiserations HT - I know how you must be feeling.
                                                Last edited by Greenlander; 27-06-2018, 22:25.

Comment

Rumours are swirling around since the cancelation yesterday and the absence of any stated reason has created a vacuum that speculation and guesswork has filled. Speedway journalist Philip Rising has said that “the fat lady isn’t singing but she’s warming up” on the British Speedway Forum.

The fixed race nights of Monday and Wednesday have certainly devastated the crowds this season as Saturday night was such a traditional fixture for the club. There is an air of torpor and negativity about the team, promotion, stadium and fanbase. I hope it’s a short term issue and they will get to the end of the season then assess dropping down to the Championship or other options but it’s a grave concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                                                    Your first sentence had me wondering just how many riders had been killed on the track at Poole. It turns out to be three too many, the last of which, 41 years ago to the day, is indelibly etched in the memory.
                                                    I was about 20 yards away from that when it happened. And I was only at the meeting because my sister and I had been shipped off to an aunt's in Poole for the week because my parents didn't want us getting in the way while they were moving house.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X