Campaign For Real Shale - Speedway 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campaign For Real Shale - Speedway 2018

The Speedway GB AGM has happened and, as ever, another set of rule changes and restructuring has been announced. With (sort of) fixed race days being the most notable :

BRITISH SPEEDWAY AGM SUMMARY:

AFTER great collaboration between the two leagues the Premiership race days are fixed for Monday and Wednesday with consideration to Swindon on a number of protected Thursdays. Championship will continue to run on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

PREMIERSHIP and Championship leagues team points average increased to 42.5 with the Premiership permitted one rider of an average of 8.00 or more. Championship has no restrictions.

LAKESIDE will be joining the Championship with all other teams remaining in their current leagues.

CHAMPIONSHIP season starts with three league cup sections - 1) Lakeside, Peterborough, Ipswich 2) Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Redcar, Newcastle 3) Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington.

KNOCKOUT CUP first round draws for both leagues on a regionalised basis:

Premiership KOC 1st round: Leicester v King’s Lynn, Somerset v Poole, Belle Vue v Wolverhampton, Swindon v Rye House.

Championship KOC 2nd round: Scunthorpe v Sheffield or Redcar, Ipswich v Lakeside or Peterborough, Berwick v Edinburgh or Glasgow, Newcastle v Workington.

TACTICAL SUBS: Black and White double points replaced with tactical substitution permitted in heats 5 to 14 (excluding heats 8) when a team is 6 points or more behind. For clarity there are NO double points.

THERE will be no promotion or relegation between the two leagues but the top four from each league will compete in their own league Play-offs.

A NUMBER of working groups have been established from within the association to further develop speedway for the medium and long-term.

BSPA has a strong proposal for the SCB that will significantly reduce false starts with further details being released after consultation with the SCB.

ALUN Rossiter and Neil Vatcher appointed Team GB Manager and Team GB U21 manager respectively for the next 12 months.

SCUNTHORPE asset Josh Auty is a granted a testimonial after celebrating 10 years of service in British Speedway.

SHEFFIELD asset and current team manager Simon Stead will celebrate a successful career by being granted a farewell meeting.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-11-2017, 23:08.

Bloody hell, that's difficult to understand for a layman such as myself. As far as my local club Lakeside are concerned, does this mean they're professional again?

Comment

I would imagine so.

Comment

I guess I'm a bit behind the times.

Didn't there used to be an Elite League and National League - but the National League is still going (Mildenhall are in it)? Has the Premiership and Championship split the Elite League in two tiers now?

Comment

The tactical sub rule could be an interesting one, especially as it comes into play with such a small deficit. I predict an awful lot of number 1s (or 5s) riding the last three heats consecutively. Just when speedway should be finding ways to speed up the meeting they find a way to slow it down though anything is better than the black and white hat. For clarity is it just the one substitution per meeting.

As for the points limit are there going to be seperate averages for the two leagues again. Didn't the top league have a 50 point limit last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
            I guess I'm a bit behind the times.

Didn't there used to be an Elite League and National League - but the National League is still going (Mildenhall are in it)? Has the Premiership and Championship split the Elite League in two tiers now?
            The Premiership is the top tier and used to be the Elite League, the Championship is the second tier and used to be the Premier League.

The National League is still the third tier.

Comment

Aha, I'd forgotten about the Premier League. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                The tactical sub rule could be an interesting one, especially as it comes into play with such a small deficit. I predict an awful lot of number 1s (or 5s) riding the last three heats consecutively. Just when speedway should be finding ways to speed up the meeting they find a way to slow it down though anything is better than the black and white hat. For clarity is it just the one substitution per meeting.

As for the points limit are there going to be seperate averages for the two leagues again. Didn't the top league have a 50 point limit last season.
                I thought it was 42.5 for the Premiership last season but the whole points system isn't my strong suit, to be honest.

I presume it can only be one tactical sub per meeting, it would be farcical otherwise. Agree with your point on speeding up meetings, the "strong proposals" to reduce false starts are clearly aimed at that too.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-11-2017, 17:03.

Comment

May as well update the Grand Prix riders and venues as well. That main interest in the former is Craig Cook scraping in as the last qualifier :

2018 FIM SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX LINE-UP (IN RANKING ORDER):

1 Jason Doyle (Australia)

2 Patryk Dudek (Poland)

3 Tai Woffinden (Great Britain)

4 Maciej Janowski (Poland)

5 Bartosz Zmarzlik (Poland)

6 Emil Sayfutdinov (Russia)

7 Matej Zagar (Slovenia)

8 Fredrik Lindgren (Sweden)

9 Martin Vaculik (Slovakia) - WILD CARD

10 Chris Holder (Australia) - WILD CARD

11 Greg Hancock (USA) - WILD CARD

12 Nicki Pedersen (Denmark) - WILD CARD

13 Przemyslaw Pawlicki (Poland) - QUALIFIER

14 Artem Laguta (Russia) - QUALIFIER

15 Craig Cook (Great Britain)- QUALIFIER

SERIES RESERVES:

1 Niels-Kristian Iversen (Denmark)

2 Vaclav Milik (Czech Republic)

3 Linus Sundstrom (Sweden)

4 Maksym Drabik (Poland)

5 Max Fricke (Australia)

2018 FIM SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX CALENDAR

May 12: PZM Warsaw FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Poland (Warsaw)

May 26: Czech Republic FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Prague)

June 30: Danish FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Horsens)

July 7: Swedish FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Hallstavik)

July 21: Adrian Flux British FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Cardiff)

August 11: Scandinavian FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Malilla)

August 25: MIB Nordic Gorzow FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Poland (Gorzow)

September 8: Slovenian FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Krsko)

September 22: German FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Teterow)

October 6: Torun FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Poland (Torun)

TBC: Australian FIM Speedway Grand Prix (Melbourne)

Comment

One last thing for now, it appears that a Coventry Bees side are likely to race at Leicester's track next season in the National League. The supporters aren't as happy about this as you might expect as a) the Leicester deal appears to be permanent putting paid to hopes that Brandon could be revived and b) it's the National League, where Coventry used to have Storm racing and isn't seen as suitable for the main side.

Would be interesting in getting indysleaze's view, will contact him on twitter.

Comment

What is it about clubs from Coventry playing elsewhere and clubs from elsewhere playing in Coventry?

Comment

(This is Indysleaze. Indysleaze is an idiot who couldn't remember the password to the old e-mail account he used to register on the old forums and so had to make a new one on here, and then that new got lost in a shuffle and I couldn't post. ANYWAY).

SO. Coventry Bees got a provisional nod to run in the third tier at Leicester next year, which is a massive can of ants. Yeah, not worms, ants. Because this could bite. There is some (probably paranoid) thinking that it's an exercise backed by the current owners of Coventry Stadium (who want to demolish it to build houses) to prove that there is no longer a desire for speedway amongst Coventry fans. The thinking being that by not travelling 25 miles to ANOTHER CITY, the fans are not willing to support the sport. The promotion is being run by the hapless Mick Horton, who has reigned over the downfall of Coventry speedway (more by being too human, too trusting, too weak, and too rash rather than by being evil or rubbish), and so a lot of fans won't support it for that reason. Horton himself has also said that a standalone speedway stadium would not be financially possible (Coventry has run with stock cars and occasionally greyhounds for the last few decades), despite Leicester being - yep, you guessed it - a standalone speedway stadium. God knows what will happen now, and I'm losing even the tiny bit of enthusiasm for this exciting, but "run with Theresa May levels of ineptitude" sport.

Throwing another spanner into the works is Cradley Heathens, who have kept their club alive by running on someone else's track for almost a decade, and have now withdrawn from the league. They will run some cup competitions but it shows that this kind of thing can only ever be a short-term thing.

Comment

Jebus, what a mess. Saw the news about Cradley earlier in the week too, any longer terms plans for them?

Things are very quiet regarding team-building at Rye House and apparently our promoter has been airing his frustration about the new points rules from the AGM.

I need to catch up on other news by digitally flicking through the last few Speedway Stars. I tend to avoid the dedicated Speedway forums as they are will-to-live-sapping.

Comment

Rye House Rockets have announced all but one of their side for next season in the last few days :

Scott Nicholls
                            Chris Harris
                            Eddie Kennett
                            Ben Barker
                            Stuart Robson
                            Max Clegg

All but Clegg are returning from all or part of last season, particularly pleased about Kennett coming back home. Rumour is that Krzysztof Kasprzak will also be a returnee as the last name which will give the team an even more “Coventry old boys” feel with Clegg being the only not to have had a recent spell with the Bees.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-01-2018, 10:16.

Comment

I'll try and make it down this season, though God knows Mondays and Wednesdays are terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                That's exactly the same rule that existed for tactical substitutes back in the '70s, except that heat 8 wasn't excluded. I presume that's still where the second string and reserve race as a pair, and it was a near certainty that any team trailing by more than 6 points at that point would replace the reserve with their number 1. It was one substitution per heat, and it was common to see heat leaders riding as a pair towards the end of the meeting as a team tried to narrow their opponents' lead.

I don't understand why using a tactical substitute should slow down proceedings though. It never used do, and I'm wondering what could be different about it now that could cause that.

Comment

Yeah, the old rule never used to slow things down, and you could use it (theoretically) 5 times for each side.

Comment

The start of the two minute warning always drifts when riders have consecutive rides. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                                      I'll try and make it down this season, though God knows Mondays and Wednesdays are terrible.
                                      That would be great, the new race nights will actually mean I see a lot more meetings as I can take train up after work. Saturday evenings were a bit more difficult as I’d often be at other sports in the afternoon or have family/social commitments in the night.

I’m confused as to the heat order now, didn’t both set of reserves race each other in heats 2 and 7 in the most recent format?

Comment

For the last few years (PL and NL) there has only been one all-reserve race and a couple of second string races.

Heat 2: 6/7 v 6/7
                                        Heat 8: 2/7 v 2/7
                                        Heat 14: 4/6 v 4/7

It may be different in the top league.

Comment

Coventry confirmed as racing in the National League at Leicester next season.

Comment

Publicity for the Save Coventry Speedway campaign in, of all places, the Mail on Sunday.

Comment

As expected, Krzysztof Kasprzak has been confirmed as the final rider in Rye House's team this season. They're really going for it again.

Comment

Just over a month until it all starts again.

Plymouth have retained Adam Roynon (the rider with the highest average in the NL) and the talented prospect, Henry Atkins which excites me immensely. The remainder of the team looks reasonable with three riders that ride the SBA well. We should be strong at home and if Adam keeps all his bones intact we might pick enough away points to challenge for a cup.

Comment

BT Sport renew deal to cover domestic Speedway for the next two seasons

This will be aalongside the SGP series and Speedway of Nations (the new experimental pairs format for the expanded World Cup).

18 domestic fixtures really isn't enough, especially when the play-offs could be four or five of them.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-03-2018, 21:28.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X