Most players lost to retirement after a single campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most players lost to retirement after a single campaign

What is the largest number of players a national side has lost to retirement at the end of a campaign (be it the end of a tournament or a failed qualifying attempt)? Italy, according to Wikipedia at least, have lost Gianluigi Buffon (39/175 caps), Giorgio Chiellini (33/96), Andrea Barzagli (36/73) and Daniele De Rossi (34/117) after failing to make the World Cup. As far as I'm aware only Buffon plans to retire entirely, and that's at the end of the season (and was he the only one to announce he was going to go before they went out?).

Germany lost three after winning the 2014 World Cup: Philipp Lahm (30/113), Per Mertesacker (30/104) and Miroslav Klose (36/137). Klose was the only one to announce he was going before the tournament. He retired entirely in November 2016, Lahm went in summer 2017 and Mertesacker will finish in summer 2018.

I'm guessing there's more, though.

Germany would have had five or six after France 98. Klinsmann, Kopke, Reuter, Helmer... And some others I think. Any squad that seemed unbelievably old would be a good bet.

Comment

When Mark Hughes resigned as Wales manager we lost Gary Speed, Mark Pembridge, Andy Johnson, Andy Melville, Nathan Blake, Mark Crossley and Robbie Savage

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
        When Mark Hughes resigned as Wales manager we lost Gary Speed, Mark Pembridge, Andy Johnson, Andy Melville, Nathan Blake, Mark Crossley and Robbie Savage
        But that was because John Toshack decided some of those were past it (at least in the case of Savage who went public about being dumped).

Comment

I predict that all of the following have played their last international:

Roy Carroll (40)
          Aaron Hughes (39)
          Gareth McAuley (39)
          Alan Mannus (35)
          Chris Brunt (33)
          Jamie Ward (31)
          Kyle Lafferty (30)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            But that was because John Toshack decided some of those were past it...
            Or more because Toshack was such a toxic character that they cleared off rather than deal with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              But that was because John Toshack decided some of those were past it (at least in the case of Savage who went public about being dumped).
              They all retired of their own volition. Apart from Savage, they all retired rather than play for Toshack. Savage is the only one who retired after being snubbed by Toshack several times

Comment

They all retired of their own volition. Apart from Savage, they all retired rather than play for Toshack. Savage is the only one who retired after being snubbed by Toshack several times
                Wasn't NI at the Millennium in 2004 (2-2, 3 red cards) Savage's last game?

PS we were denied a clear penalty when 2-1 ahead btw

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                  Wasn't NI at the Millennium in 2004 (2-2, 3 red cards) Savage's last game?

PS we were denied a clear penalty when 2-1 ahead btw
                  No he played in the defeat to Poland in the same group - Mark Hughes' last game in charge.

PS I know, and that's what makes it even funnier!
                  Last edited by Jorge Porbillas; 20-11-2017, 14:07.

Comment

No he played in the defeat to Poland in the same group - Mark Hughes' last game in charge.

PS I know, and that's what makes it even funnier!
                    Bore da. My fave memory of that game is getting a slap from the bloke in the row behind. I'd just called Healy a wanker for getting sent off

PS, I see you've commented in the great 'Should English Division 7 clubs display only flags celebrating teams from Scotland and NI?' debate. It should be said that however generally homophobic/ anti-immigrant/ generally Kipperish those facebook fans are, the original complaint was pretty gormless.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                      Bore da. My fave memory of that game is getting a slap from the bloke in the row behind. I'd just called Healy a wanker for getting sent off

PS, I see you've commented in the great 'Should English Division 7 clubs display only flags celebrating teams from Scotland and NI?' debate. It should be said that however generally homophobic/ anti-immigrant/ generally Kipperish those facebook fans are, the original complaint was pretty gormless.
                      Indeed, as I pointed out. Unfortunately some of those who've posted are as gormless!

Comment

Working...
                      X