Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixture help - 17 Dec (Yorkshire, Liverpool, Manchester, or nearby)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixture help - 17 Dec (Yorkshire, Liverpool, Manchester, or nearby)

I'm going to be in Bolton for work in December and extended my stay so I can see some football while I'm in England. I expect to stay in Leeds after I leave Bolton since I have a friend who lives there. My plan right now is to see Sheffield Wednesday-Wolves on Friday, December 15th and Leeds-Norwhich on Saturday, December 16th. But I'm not finding any fixtures in the general vicinity of Leeds on Sunday, December 17th. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd prefer to start with games higher up the ladder and work my way down, so if there is a Premiership game within an hour train ride that would be best, then Championship, League one, etc. If I'm down to non-league, that's fine. It looks like options are tough since league clubs break given the holiday season fixture congestion.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There's nothing at all on December 17th in between Hearts v Celtic and West Brom v Manchester United as far as I can see. In general there is very little non league in the north on a Sunday, especially outside of early season cup ties. The programme for that weekend is currently incomplete as the Trophy 1st round fixtures are still unknown - the draw for that will be made on Monday week. In theory there could be a local Sunday tie in that, although I'm struggling to think of any circumstances that might occur given the teams left in the competition.

Sheffield Wednesday haven't released ticket details yet for the Wolves game, that should happen later this week. Wednesday are notoriously expensive though there's a possibility they might price this one reasonably - several home games in quick succession, Friday night just before Christmas, live on the telly. I'll pop the details up here when the club announce them.

Comment

After Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds you won’t be able to afford a game on Sunday.

Comment

Thanks, longeared. I appreciate any help.

@cantagalo: I seem to travel to Europe about every year-18 months on average for work and almost all of those trips fall when football season is over, so I figure this trip can make up for those misses. Plus, living in the US means there's no reason to spend EPL ticket money for non-league quality with MLS. But I get your point.

Comment

Just a shame you’re here the week before Christmas. Usually there are a lot more options.

Comment

Ticket details for Wednesday v Wolves. Unsurprisingly it's not cheap thanks to Our Dear Leader And His Merry Yes Men. You'll be able to buy on the day itself at the turnstile for that, if you want to buy in advance you can do so online and either print at home or collect on the day. There's no extra charges for doing this. There's absolutely no point in you becoming a club member to access the cheaper prices - you need to do about ten games to make it financially worthwhile.

You may already know this, but South Stand is where the telly cameras are, the Grandstand is another tier directly above. Kop is to the right, where all the "noise" comes from, also note it has two whacking great poles in the middle. North Stand is opposite, tends to sell out first as it is home to a lot of season ticket holders. West Stand (where the disaster was) is to the left and is for away fans.

Unless you're really keen on this sort of thing I'd try and steer clear of blocks T1 and S in the North Stand - this is where a lot of the idiots assemble in order to bait away fans.

Anyone going to Hillsborough this season may need to know that the club has changed its policy on taking bags in - full details here.

Comment

Thanks for the information about the stands. I was able to get a ticket in the North Stand, section R. Now I just need to wait on Leeds general sale tickets since my registration number doesn't work with the current ticket sales (I either need to be a season ticket holder or purchase a membership, which isn't worth it for one game every few years at best).

Comment

Well, longeared, I'm sorry to report that my 100% victory record for the home team during my travels to England came to an end in Sheffield. Wednesday definitely deserved a point against Wolves. I had a good time at the match and everything was smooth getting to the stadium and back. The Wednesday fans seemed in good voice. Too bad the result didn't work out.

My record started again the next day at Leeds, with a 1-0 victory over Norwhich.

Thinking back, there has only been one other game I attended while traveling where the home team lost (Milan-Parma) and in that instance I wasn't too worried about it.

I had a good time in Sheffield more generally, although the weather on Thursday night got in the way to trying to chase down a DIY punk show. Hopefully I'll get back to Sheffield next year.

Comment

Working...
                X