Boycotters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
    Yeah, while I don't understand what boycotting the TV coverage is going to achieve, I completely respect people if they want to do it and it isn't at all hypocritical. As mentioned on another thread, I do wonder if, after this and Qatr, people will also boycott US/Mexico.
    It's not going to achieve anything other than getting people to think and talk about it, which I think is worthwhile in itself. Most political ideas and movements start out small. The complete overthrow of the current Fifa hierarchy should be the goal, but it won't happen of its own accord.

Comment

Sorry, could have written that better. I understand what people believe it is going to achieve but I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
        Iran are an example of “European and South American squads with more big game experience”?
        There's a full stop between Peru and Egypt. Two separate thoughts.

Comment

I've seen nothing but the gif of Ronaldo's freekick. The timing of all the games is making this pretty easy, frankly. I sleep through almost all of them, and then briefly check scores after. Would have liked to see the Mexico win, but hey, fuck Russia/FIFA.

I've found myself debating (with myself) about international sports in general. I'm not coming down on the 'for' side lately. Even the reaction to something as innocuous as goldenballs asking Americans to root for Mexico makes me cringe.

Comment

It hasn't been hard. I don’t have cable and this week I’m camping at Assateague all week with no electronic media except what I can occasionally get via a very weak cell signal.

I have seen some of the scores, but don’t feel invested.

Comment

For Imp's sake we should probably hope Germany qualify for the knockout stages, at least.

"Scheisse! We're out, let's not bother with the rest of the tournament!"
              "But I was already not bothering. Boycotting, in fact."
              "Sure, sure, we are all boycotting now, that's a good excuse, why not?"
              (steam rising) "But I was already fucking boycotting! On principle!"

It'll be like protesting against apartheid before the Tories and tabloids discovered Mandela was cool. Late allies welcome, but motives questionable.

Comment

No problems so far not watching this travesty of a football tournament.

Comment

FIFA are making a good job of destroying the tournament by themselves: Qatar, 48 teams, dodgy pitches (evident in Russia), lifeless stadia (ditto). It will wither and die if it stays on that track.

Comment

Apparently back in Australia everyone is up in arms as though Something Really Bad had happened because Optus, the cable company with (some? all? of) the rights had cock-ups with their coverage. This is quite funny.

While Optus sort themselves out SBS, the terrestrial network which kept football on TV alive for decades before the “Socceroos” got quite good and they got outbid as the cash poured in, have 100% rights. This is more than quite good.

Comment

The unintended boycott is gathering momentum.

Teams with major support (ticket sales, atmosphere in stadium) are leaving early, or at risk of doing so. Peru & Morocco out, Argentina, Colombia, Serbia in trouble, etc. Meanwhile this is the first tournament in ages (since 1986?) that hasn't seen flags from English market towns and minor football league clubs dotted around the stands, whether England are playing or not. This may have far more to do with the team's prospects in Russia than Putin protests, but it's noticeable.

The lesson is clear: England stop trying to win "Shall we sing a song for you?" World Cup, will win real one.

Comment

I appear to be watching the golf.

Well, it's on in the background. What I'm actually watching is stupid YouTube videos.

Comment

Must be the world feed, tee rex

Comment

But that's the England game, isn't it? In the past it was "Aldershot FC" behind the goal when Slovakia played Paraguay or whoever.

Comment

The Russians are being much more restrictive on hanging flags than has been the case in earlier tournaments.

Also recall that the US bought more tickets than any other country. Those people aren't likely to be going home early.

Comment

Has anyone told Colin from Oswestry theres a Champions League on?

Comment

Whom did the Oswestry guy support in 2016?

Comment

They've just put the Belgium vs Tunisia game on the big screens in office. This is making boycotting somewhat tricky, but I'm staring intently at my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                      For Imp's sake we should probably hope Germany qualify for the knockout stages, at least.

"Scheisse! We're out, let's not bother with the rest of the tournament!"
                                      "But I was already not bothering. Boycotting, in fact."
                                      "Sure, sure, we are all boycotting now, that's a good excuse, why not?"
                                      (steam rising) "But I was already fucking boycotting! On principle!"

It'll be like protesting against apartheid before the Tories and tabloids discovered Mandela was cool. Late allies welcome, but motives questionable.
                                      That never happened, surely, at least not until Thatcher was deposed?

Comment

They never sang "Mandela, Mandela, he's a jolly good fella" at the Tory Party Conference?

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                                          No problems so far not watching this travesty of a football tournament.
                                          This tournament has been the best World Cup in decades, at least so far.

Comment

Not sure about that. Though perhaps my feelings are influenced by yesterday and those two utterly fucking awful matches

Comment

It's certainly been very good. I don't think the goals-per-game ratio is anything special but there's been lots of drama and plenty of good football.

Comment

I’ve just got back from a week on Skye and can reveal important scientific boycott evidence: on the drive there, starting the survey from the Loch Lomond road, there were 13 Dutch number plates; 4 German; 3 Belgian; 2 French; 2 Luxembourg; 1 Spanish/Hungarian/Estonian etc.

On the way back the scores almost exactly reversed: 15 German; 5 Dutch.

Comment

Pretty sure the Heelans are always full of Dutch and German tourists every summer, regardless of what else is going on: they always were when I was going to see my gran in Wester Ross (alas, she passed a few years ago).

Comment

Does skye not have tv?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X