People at your club who were actual prisoners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People at your club who were actual prisoners

Not as interesting as the thread on players with parents who were political prisoners, but would be interesting to know. There's some obviously relatively well-known names, but I'd be guessing three or four at one team would be pretty good (bad?) going...

Troy Deeney at Watford, obviously.

Comment

Not sure any went to prison but there was a group of bad boys playing for Shrewsbury in the early naughties who got into bother with the police.

Comment

Not my club but heard a great story about Robin Friday, when he was at Cardiff he didn't turn up at pre season training much to the managers anger, the following week they were playing a pre season friendly and one of the subs heard a banging on the back of the dugout. It was Friday "tell the boss I'll be back on Monday" he got a three month sentence for stealing lead off a church roof but managed to get released early for good behaviour

Comment

Others I can think of are Gary Madine, Marlon King, Duncan Fergusson. Ched Evans obviously did time too. I vaguely remember Nathan Blake having been in trouble for theft (leading to Blades fans serenading him with "He's black, he's mean, he robbed a fruit machine") but I'm not sure if he did time for that. Edinburgh City recently signed a convicted sex offender (Craig Thomson) but, again, I don't think he went to prison...

Comment

I’m struggling to think of a goalkeeper but apart from that I could probably name a Newport convicts XI.

Comment

It's really difficult to search for my team's players, aside from I don't think there are many. I keep reading about nutters from Boston.

Comment

Crawley's Josh Payne served 6 months of a 12 month sentence for ABH back in 2013.

Comment

In 2010 Bradford City signed Jake Sleight for actual money. He'd neglected to mention that he was about to go on trial for assault, was found guilty and then sent down for a few months.

We also had Jamie Lawrence after his spell and full back Lewis Emmanuel whose post City career has involved a bit of armed robbery.

At the other end of the spectrum City also had former PC Paul Showler in the 1990s.

Comment

Christ. There’s a name from the past. Signed from Colne Dynamoes.

I think George Oghani spent time behind bars on leaving Burnley.

Comment

Ronnie Mauge was arrested for kidnapping his then-girlfriend when he was at Bury. As part of bail conditions, he went to live with chairman Terry Robinson.

Comment

Luke McCormick (now back at Plymouth) had his first games at Oxford United after a prison sentence for causing death by dangerous driving whilst at Plymouth

Like wise Adam Chapman who was at Oxford when he caused the accident and returned to the club after completing his sentence

Comment

The Irish League 1970-2000 obviously offers possibilities...

Comment

I was going to type in the name of our ex-chairman, but I felt dirty.

Comment

The wretched Shaun Tuck (Racist Tweeting) for us. Also a player called David Anane ( drug dealing).

I'd actually forgotten Tuck's name so I googled "footballer racist tweets". That still left me with a bit of a search.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                The wretched Shaun Tuck (Racist Tweeting) for us. Also a player called David Anane ( drug dealing).

I'd actually forgotten Tuck's name so I googled "footballer racist tweets". That still left me with a bit of a search.
                                Jeez, that Tuck guy is something else. Mind you, perhaps I should focus on his apology and denial that he is racist rather than the myriad clearly racist comments both before and after his "apology".

Comment

Mickey Thomas is the obvious one. It was almost a rite of passage around here if you ended up with one of his dodgy notes.

Surprisingly (to me, anyway), Chris Armstrong never served time for his misdemeanours.

Comment

Fans favourite (twenty odd year back, when we were good) defensive hard man at Raith Shaun Dennis was cleared of assault after the case fell apart through conflicting prosecution evidence. Apparently no stranger to a night in the cells though (often getting a taxi from Kdy polis shop to training or even matchday), usually for drunk and disorderly or the Scots Pig’s favourite bampot catch-all, breach of the peace. Definitely got a lot of leeway for being Captain and Local Leader Legend.

Comment

Not my club, obviously, but Peter Swan returned to play for Sheffield Wednesday after serving time for the 60's betting scandal. Fellow scandaler Bronco Layne, who started his career with us, also returned to Sheffield Wednesday, but didn't play for them.

Comment

Does Glen Johnson's toilet seat 'incident' in B&Q count?

Comment

The only ones I remember at Bolton were Stig Tøfting, who did time for headbutting a cafe owner, and an Australian called Con Boutsianis, who I think ended up on trial for armed robbery.

Comment

Not really my club anymore, is Tony Adams at Arsenal too obvious? And of course van Persie was incarcerated on (eventually dismissed) suspicion of sexual assault.

At Toronto FC, we've never had anyone in jail, I don't think. Martin Saric did time for shoplifting the year after he left the club. And Kevin Harmse probably should have been jailed a couple of times for his tackling ability, but that's it.

Comment

Gary Croft was arrested just after scoring on his Ipswich debut and went on to spend a month in prison for driving while disqualified and telling fibs to the police (Policeman: Aren't you Gary Croft, the footballer who is disqualified from driving? Croft: Um... no.). On his release, he became the first footballer to play with an ankle tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                Not my club, obviously, but Peter Swan returned to play for Sheffield Wednesday after serving time for the 60's betting scandal. Fellow scandaler Bronco Layne, who started his career with us, also returned to Sheffield Wednesday, but didn't play for them.
                                                My uncle played in Bury's 1974 promotion team with Swan. He sounds like quite the character.

Comment

Our first summer signing of 2014 Russell Benjamin was arrested a few weeks later and is currently two years into a nine-year sentence as the ringleader of a criminal gang exporting heroin and cocaine. We also had Courtney Meppen-Walter last season, who served 9 months in 2013 for causing death by dangerous driving.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X