• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy penalty to us. Saved. Bollocks.

Comment

Double bollocks.

Comment

Miller Bear winds up Shrewsbury's 12 year old keeper...

Comment

No way Brentford should be 2-0 down at half time. I was behind the goal and had a great view of their striker missing the goldest of golden chances to equalise and then, while we laughed in disbelief, Cardiff went up the other end and nabbed a second. Football is fucking cruel sometimes.

Comment

Cudos to Shrewsbury for wearing a proper kit away from home.

Comment

Summet went off in the far corner from me, and we're playing against ten men.

Comment

Can't remember the last match between two teams managed by long-term Rotherham heroes called Paul.

And we finally equalise...

Comment

Fucking fucking fuck.

Comment

2-0 full time. No idea how Cardiff got away with that.

Great result from the New York Stadium as well. Sorry, GO.

Comment

Southport 0-3 Blyth Spartans

Some gents behind me were debating the merits of the current Southport squad, and came to the conclusion that the only one that was worse was the 1981/2 squad.

I wasn't around to watch that one, but on this evidence the current group are a mix of limited triers and can't-be-arsed journeymen. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they went down, although they'll play many worse sides than Blyth before the season is out.

Comment

Buxton 0-3 Grantham Town

Silverlands is a cracking football ground. The home side should've been one or two ahead in the first half, but missed sitters and a dubious offside meant they trailed 1-0 instead. Had they pulled one back in the first fifteen minutes of the second half they could've gone on to win it, but they barely threatened in the second half and instead they conceded a soft penalty and then a comical third late on.

I'd forgotten about the Donny Bucks - a group of Doncaster Rovers fans who watch Buxton from time to time, thanks to the trio of ex-Rovers players involved there - Tim Ryan, Ricky Ravenhill and Jan Budtz. Their group alone made a decent noise in the first half, mainly chanting for the latter at every opportunity and also chanting anti-Thatcher songs at the Grantham fans, which led to a decent atmosphere in the big covered terrace behind the goal.

Also, if this game and the one I saw in March are typical of the league, the Northern Premier League is a really physical league. A lot of contests between big lumps and not a lot of football . Grantham were typical of this, and that's perhaps why they're up the top of the league.

Comment

AFC Emley 2-1 FC Bolsover

While in a Wakefield pub performing my routine check for morning postponements I suddenly spotted a match that had previously slipped my radar and instead of Emley I went to

Hemsworth Miners Welfare 3-2 Maltby Main

Good game between a pair of good sides who are both going well this season. Maltby scored twice in the opening twenty minutes thanks to having strikers leading the line well, then Hemsworth worked their way back into the game thanks to cutting off the Maltby supply lines. They scored the winner with five minutes left from a penalty rebound.

Hemsworth is a fairly typical coalfield club - decent clubhouse, ground adequate for its requirements, lots of dickish gobby fans.

No Emma Watson and no programme. Not sure which annoyed me more to be honest.

Comment

This is the Brentford miss.

https://twitter.com/channel5sport/st...36386654994432

I still can't believe I saw this.

Comment

The only highlight from Argyle's dicking by Oxford (complete with yet another red card) was my mate's arguement with the bloke beside us which aside from the usual I'll have a pint of what you're drinking included the brilliant 'you're so out of touch you still think it's Rhodesia.'

The game was that bad.

Comment

Orient v Dover was actually a decent game. I thought we were heading for the usual 'nice possession play but no impact' home defeat against a typically defensively well organised leading Conference side, but we stepped it right up in the second half, got a deserved equaliser and might have nicked it. Some positive and assertive substitutions and tactical tweaks seemed to make a difference, which already made a difference from Steve Davis's head-scratching tinkering.

Comment

Burnley Belvedere 4-1 Prestwich

First half wasn't anything to write home about, but the second half was much more more enjoyable. Belvedere, who had missed a penalty in the first half, took the lead early after the break and followed it up with a penalty which they managed to score this time. Prestwich pulled one back but any thoughts of a comeback didn't last long as Belvedere got number three about a minute later and then finished it off with a fourth.

Belvedere have a ground in the north of Burnley with views out to Pendle Hill. Spectator facilities consist of a bus shelter. There are separate cricket and rugby grounds on the site, and a decent clubhouse used by all three clubs.

From Burnley I headed to Blackburn for the ice hockey match against visiting Billingham. Decent arena with good sight lines. Blackburn opened the scoring after 36 seconds and through the first two periods it looked like they were going to win, holding a 4-2 lead by the end of the second period. However Billingham turned things round in the last period, managing to draw level with six minutes left. Blackburn retook the lead within a minute, but two Billingham goals in the last four minutes secured the in for the visitors. Billingham have won only four times this season, but I have now seen them consecutive games in the last week.

Comment

Lincoln 1 Coventry 2

The collective pre-match consensus was for a dead-cert 0-0, but that just made goals an inevitability. A fast, attacking game that Coventry deserved to win - Lincoln's keeper Josh Vickers made several stellar saves and was our man of the match. Coventry's Jodi Jones scored a cracking equaliser, then taunted the sold-out Co-Op Stand to celebrate, like the obnoxious little dick he seems to be. Lincoln played well, though, but just couldn't handle Coventry's speed on the break. Beautiful to see Sincil Bank sold out for a league match.

Comment

I went to Scotland for the weekend, and met up with an old friend in Glasgow. We went to see Queen's Park vs Dunfermline in the Scottish Cup. Very good cup-tie ; Dunfermline were clearly the more skilled, better co'ordinated team, but Queen's gave them a much harder test than the 1-4 scoreline would suggest. I liked both no11's, David Galt for Queen's Park, Joe Cardle for Dunfermline. They were part of most of the good things their teams did.

It was a first ever visit for Hampden for me, so we had a proper look round first, went to Cathkin Park etc. It was a better atmosphere in the ground than I'd anticipated, despite the 50,000-odd empty seats. Dunfermline had brought a good-sized, vocal following, though it was hard at first to tell who was supporting who given that everyone in club colours was in black and white. Only real disappointment was that Queen's played in all black shirts and grey shorts. Do they ever wear the hoops for home games?

Comment

That sounds like a half-decent way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Annoying about the kits, though. I've always loved Coventry's all-sky blue kit, but for no good reason they wore grey. Bloody grey, in November. I was hoping that would make it difficult for them to find each other in the murk, but no such luck. Hard to credit that Sir Alex was talking bollocks all those years ago when Man United got stuffed by Southampton (was that the 3-1 or the 6-3 defeat?).

Comment

The 3-1. The 6-3 was a few months later, a delicious punchline to the farrago.

Comment

I didn't go Fisher in the end, me sciatica playing up bad, and my companion going down with flu. I realise these obstacles ought not to deter the devoted groundhopper.

Anyway, our loss (and Lydd Town's), as Fisher romped home 9-1. Did you know the club is named for catholic martyr John Fisher, put to death under Henry VIII around the same time as Thomas More for similar reasons?

Comment

Good game. Controlled and professional. 3-1 to Utrecht. Could have been six or seven and Excelsior missed a sitter. Still, a deserved victory and now up to fifth in the league.

Comment

Robin Hood 2 Flanagan's Onions 1

A good game (for this level of football) between two committed if not too skillful teams. Hood probably should have scored more, but were very profligate (great word) in their shooting.

Dandy Town Hornets 3 Young Men's Social Club 1

Good solid win for Hornets, in a game they controlled from start to finish. YMSC continue to struggle, and I predict they will go back down after promotion. They have a good team spirit, but lack players who can dictate play or create clear chances. Excitement of the day for me was not being able to park in the secure car park at the ground, I had to walk back up a side road only to find myself in a stand-off between two youths on motorbikes brandishing knifes while trying to encourage the other 'to come and have a go if you think you are hard enough'. I did the old 'don't mind me, I'll just sneak past without getting stabbed' shuffle...

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                                                  Excitement of the day for me was not being able to park in the secure car park at the ground, I had to walk back up a side road only to find myself in a stand-off between two youths on motorbikes brandishing knifes while trying to encourage the other 'to come and have a go if you think you are hard enough'. I did the old 'don't mind me, I'll just sneak past without getting stabbed' shuffle...
                                                  Wow, Bermuda's certainly changed a bit since my youth. Was that up around the National Stadium?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                                    Wow, Bermuda's certainly changed a bit since my youth. Was that up around the National Stadium?
                                                    No, not sure if you remember it, but it was at Dandy Town's ground on St John's Road (Western Stars), not far from BELCO if that means anything to you. Aggression and problems around games here is sadly an all-too-often occurrence, always gang related and usually cases of trying to get onto a rival gang's 'manor'. This is just the first occasion I have actually been caught up in such an incident, arriving at a ground as a match official.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X