It was 40 years ago today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was 40 years ago today

That Klaus Fischer got his foot improbably high to score this goal against Switzerland.

Loved a good overhead, did Klaus, of course, with this one in the 1982 World Cup semi final.

I suppose not many players have scored two for their country?
    Last edited by Kevin S; 16-11-2017, 12:31.

Crap defending

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      That Klaus Fischer got his foot improbably high to score this goal against Switzerland.

Loved a good overhead, did Klaus, of course, with this one in the 1982 World Cup semi final.

I suppose not many players have scored two for their country?
      That first was apparently named German Goal of the Century, as well. But from what I can recall, Fischer made a small habit of this and managed further 'bicycles' for Schalke - I can recall seeing something on On the Ball at the time (well, around 1976/1977).

Comment

The first famous Fischer overhead kick was in 1976 at Karlsruhe. It was so good, I had as poster of it on my wall. It's every bit as great as the one against Switzerland. You can see it at 1:52 of the video below.

Comment

Fischer was well known for the spectacular. At my school anyone trying an overhead kick used to shout "Fischer!" David Coleman style before completely missing the ball and breaking their back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
            Fischer was well known for the spectacular. At my school anyone trying an overhead kick used to shout "Fischer!" David Coleman style before completely missing the ball and breaking their back.
            Good God. I remember fourth year juniors in the playground saying that when I was a nipper and no-one knew why. Must have been about 1979, so they must have head it from their equivalents when they started in the juniors.

Comment

You never lose it, apparently...

Comment

jawdropping

Comment

He'd done so many it was almost muscle memory. That's wonderful.

Comment

Was that Gunter Netzer on the right hand post?

Comment

Yup

Comment

That is pretty tremendous - I mean, Fischer must be approaching seventy.

Comment

So West Germany reached four of the five World Cup finals from 1974 to 1990. Which is of course remarkable but makes me wonder what went wrong for them in 1978? Wouldn't a player like Fischer have been at the peak of his powers?

Comment

For whatever reason, Fischer only started half WG's games in Argentina - and didn't manage a single goal.

Comment

West-Germany weren't as far from reaching the final in 1978 as it might seem. In the second round they drew with Italy, then the Holland game (2-2) could have gone either way; Germany led twice. Had they beaten Holland, they'd not have folded against Austria, a game they approached as if a third-place play-off.

The bad performances might be explained in part by a very low morale -- their camp was a bit of a hell hole -- and an unsettled team. One moment the midfield was full of flair players like Flohe and Hansi Müller; the next you had more agricultural players like Herbert Zimmermann or Harald Konopka in the team.

The big question was whether to play Fischer or Dieter Müller, or both (as Helmut Schön did against Tunisia, to no effect). Müller was the form player. He had won the double with Köln, was top scorer in the league, set a still-standing Bundesliga record of six goals in a match. But Schön didn't really trust him, the heroics of 1976 notwithstanding. Müller played only 12 games for Germany -- and scored nine goals. When Müller scored only once in the group games (in the 6-0 against Mexico), he was dropped.

Fischer also had a great record for Germany as well. He ended up scoring 32 goals in 45 games, which is top class. But in 1978 Schön should have stuck with Dieter Müller against Italy and Holland.

Fischer later succeeded Müller at Köln. That was a hell of a forward line, with Fischer, Klaus Allofs, Tony Woodcock and Pierre Littbarski. Still, at their best, they finished only second to Hamburg in 1982. Littbarski went on to provide the cross that Fisher converted against France.

Comment

Well, I think 'ifs' are fairly unquantifiable - Italy were fewer than 45 minutes from the 1978 final themselves until Brandts and Haan unleashed a couple of torpedos to eliminate them. I agree that W Germany's final knockout games were close affairs, however: Krankl was obviously the difference in Córdoba.

Comment

Had there been proper semi-finals in 1978, and West Germany beaten Austria knowing it would have meant progression, they might have been in a semi-final with Argentina at least. Possibly Brazil, in fact, as by extension Argentina wouldn't have bust a gut to thrash Peru if they fancied Holland in the semis more.

Comment

1978 had five teams with very little separating them. The what-ifs stretch back to the group stages. If quarter finals had been the format, winning the group would have mattered more, so West Germany v Poland would have become a different game, for example.

QF would have been Italy v West Germany, with Italy favourites I think. Semis would be wide open, maybe two penalty shoot-outs.

Comment

That goal is fucking amazing. That's such extraordinary athleticism for a footballer in the 70's. That one in 82 is pretty slick. I remember as a kid being really impressed by this goal by van basten. god he was a stylish footballer. he looked completely out of place in 80's football

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        1978 had five teams with very little separating them. The what-ifs stretch back to the group stages. If quarter finals had been the format, winning the group would have mattered more, so West Germany v Poland would have become a different game, for example.

QF would have been Italy v West Germany, with Italy favourites I think. Semis would be wide open, maybe two penalty shoot-outs.
                                        Well, they met in a quasi-QF and drew 0-0. I watched the game but have memory of it at all, whereas I have memories of all the other games.

And to be be clear, I didn't raise "what-ifs" so much as to point out that Germany were not quite as out-of-it as it would appear, looking at the results.

Comment

Thanks folks. Once upon a time I had a video of World Cup highlights (1966 final - 1986) but it didn't really get into the narrative of this second group phase in 1978 at all; you just suddenly saw a team with Bettega and Rossi in it (for example) disappearing. Ditto Brazil and West Germany.

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                          That goal is fucking amazing. That's such extraordinary athleticism for a footballer in the 70's. That one in 82 is pretty slick. I remember as a kid being really impressed by this goal by van basten. god he was a stylish footballer. he looked completely out of place in 80's football
                                          Yeah, so 'these days' we see players attempt this sort of thing fairly frequently - though rarely still can anyone jump and stretch as high as Fischer did up there. But, for example, Zlatan's first attempt on goal after an ACL injury was a scissor kick.

I wonder when things changed. Van Basten was obviously cut from a different cloth. So was Fischer.

What about Mark Hughes, 1985? Was this earth-shattering at the time?

Comment

Working...
                                          X