No announcement yet.

World Cup Draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Korea only just scraped through the qualifiers in the weaker of the two Asian groups, and picked up just two points away from home, which makes me think that they don't fancy travelling much. I don't see them getting a single point in their group to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
      England have got 6pm kick offs in their first and third games in midweek, and 12 midday for the second game on a Sunday.
      I hadn't allowed for BST. It's actually 7pm for the midweek games and 1pm for the Sunday game.

Comment

I'll make a point of being out of the house for those, or on the Sunday just stay in bed, Morrissey-style (it would be 8am in the US anyway so need to get up for that trash).

Comment

Full schedule with BST times for anyone who is interested:

Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 02-12-2017, 14:31. Reason: Now in better order

Comment

Close shave: I'll have returned at my home from an overseas trip with minutes to spare before the Germany game against Mexico. I'd have liked to watch it in Germany, but them's the breaks.

Comment

Normally that schedule has me buzzing, but I just don't feel it. Not just the Russia corruption shit but because it's like, who cares? I think it's just one tournament too many for me.

Comment

Agree there’s not a buzz looking at those games. Pleasure will have to be sought in the Peru, Senegal kits. Will belg still have the cycling away kit? I will watch the Argentina group as I’ve always loved their kit and am a fitba argophile.

Comment

Argentina is a watchable group. Brazil is still a compulsion but less so over time. Colombia v Poland and Senegal is a kinda interesting three way battle provided Senegal are in the kind of shape they were in 2002, otherwise it might be as dull as England's group. Colombia might be the team that puts England out.

Comment

Peru, happily, should have no problems wearing their first kit against france or australia- I'm a little concerned they won't be allowed to against denmark- it'll depend on the thickness of the sash maybe.

Comment

Brazil, Serbia and Costa Rica. There are worse teams to support..

Comment

??

Comment

BELgium

TUnisia

Panama

Comment

Major tournament...

Panama

Tunisia

Comment

Re-reading this thread has cheered me up a bit. England's prospects before draw: dire. After draw: slightly less dire.

Tip of the hat to Sean of the Shed on page 3. The rest of us can only stare at our shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Bafokeng View Post
                                Final potting:

Pot 1:
                                Russia
                                Germany
                                Brazil
                                Portugal
                                Argentina
                                Belgium
                                Poland
                                France

Pot 2:
                                Spain
                                Peru (no10 in the FIFA ranking - how could this happen?)
                                Switzerland
                                England
                                Colombia
                                Mexico
                                Uruguay
                                Croatia

Pot 3:
                                Denmark
                                Iceland
                                Costa Rica
                                Sweden
                                Tunisia
                                Egypt
                                Senegal
                                Iran

Pot 4:
                                Serbia
                                Nigeria
                                Australia
                                Japan
                                Morocco
                                Panama
                                South Korea
                                Saudi Arabia

No more than one team per confederation in each group, no more than two UEFA teams.

Group of death:
                                Brazil, Spain, Denmark, Nigeria
                                Not that deadly really.

Group of not so much death:
                                Russia, Peru, Senegal, Panama

Tastiest England group:
                                Argentina, England, Iceland, Australia

Most likely Germany group:
                                Germany, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Saudi Arabia
                                The pots seem to have been vindicated by performance. Only Poland and Peru were obviously too high and Serbia, Nigeria and Japan too low. I assume that Croatia will be a top seed next time and Poland demoted, while Japan go up to maybe Peru's slot or at least Pot 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Nishlord View Post
                                  Have 'TORRID CANAL HAMMERING' at the ready.
                                  Kudos. I unconsciously nicked it for the game.

Kudos also to Gero for predicting Japan's advance and to Sean for predicting Belgium and England trying to throw their game to avoid Colombia.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-07-2018, 12:51.

Comment

And to Nesta for predicting Mexico's victory over Germany, right?

Right guys?

Guys?
                                    Last edited by N est à?; 12-07-2018, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                      I wonder how being drawn with Germany, and in the facing group to Brazil, has gone down in Mexico, given their obsession with getting to the 'fifth game'.

Tip: Mexico to beat Germany in their opener, win the group and set up a Bra-Ger rematch in the second round. It'll be hard to motivate Brazil's players for that one, but perhaps Tite can manage it.

(Mexico to lose to Switzerland or Costa Rica in the last 16, obv)
                                      Well, you were predicting quite a lot here about Mexico, and only the bit about beating Germany in the opener worked out.

Bonus points for this though:

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                      This is the fifth tournament out of the 6 Nigeria have been in where they've been drawn with Argentina.

Argentina have won each game by the odd goal, it's real groundhog day shit.

Comment

But Nigeria really blew it this time against a team they should have beaten.

Comment

'World Cup Draw'? I know there are all kinds of products attached to the tournament, but that seems a little extreme.

Settle down now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X