Impossible Burgers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Sneering put downs of vegetarians and their "bland" food however, don't really appeal
    I was a bit surprised by that comment, too.

You either want to give up meat or you don't - I've never needed to 'convince' myself of anything.

Comment

I thought it was an in-joke between FF and Ad Hoc. Clearly I was wrong.

Comment

Oh, okay. But if so, it was a bit on the dry side.

(Go on, say it - you know you want to...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          I thought it was an in-joke between FF and Ad Hoc. Clearly I was wrong.
          If it was I missed it. But that does make some sense. It seemed out of character

Comment

I'd make a joke about vegetarians being oversensitive, but I can guess how that would be received...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              If it was I missed it. But that does make some sense. It seemed out of character
              That's what I thought. Seems like something I would say at my most pissed. Which doesn't strike me as typical of FF (even when she is at her most pissed. If she ever is).

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                I thought In n Out burger was pretty good. Basically they are acknowledging that burgers are supposed to be cheap fast food and just concentrate on doing it well. They do the little things right like toasting the buns.

Five Guys I don't get. They take an average burger, wrap it in tin foil and then sit on it. Even if you didn't order take out, that's how it is served. And then they charge you sit down restaurant prices for the resulting soggy mess.
                They serve in tinfoil for a sit down meal? Every time I go to Glasgow another Five Guys has replaced somewhere good. Posh burgers are so crap. Mibees a mass outbreak of listeria will put an end to the shite of serving burgers still bloody in the middle in a fuckin brioche bap (massively unsafe with even the best steak mince, while you sear the area of a steak contaminated with germs (the edge of the muscle) and can fairly risk the insides rare, when that meat is all mashed together cook until the juices are clear or risk badness).

Comment

I think I mentioned it already, but I was at a Five Guys the other weekend. Chips were good, but thin, and the burgers were utterly tasteless. And yes, I sat down, and yes it came in a bag. The burger was in foil which made the bun sweat.

Oh, and the fries were cooked in peanut oil, so beware.

Comment

That seems wildly irresponsible. Are there signs up warning?

Comment

Yeah huge signs everywhere about peanuts. And buckets of peanuts everywhere. They serve peanut butter and bacon milkshakes. Madness.

Comment

Fuck off. (to the milkshakes)
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-11-2017, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                          Oh, and the fries were cooked in peanut oil, so beware.
                          Aw, fuck! I was counting on this custom not spreading beyond East Asia. I had my nut allergy triggered often enough over there to be quite happy that I can typically eat fries without thinking about it in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            Fuck off. (to the milkshakes)
                            "Fine, we were going anyway...wanker."

Comment

They won't get far in a corrugated cardboard plane.

Comment

Or is it corduroy?

Comment

I feel like we’ve seen into your dreams benjm. Corduroy clad transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    Or is it corduroy?
                                    I'd try that. The food crime, not the fashion one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      I feel like we’ve seen into your dreams benjm. Corduroy clad transport.
                                      It a shame we can't see whether it's got leather patches on the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                        It a shame we can't see whether it's got leather patches on the wings.
                                        They tried it once, in the Thirties (shudders).

Comment

I love Five Guys. And their burgers aren't done rare, or what you could call posh (definitely overpriced for fast food though.) And somebody with a peanut allergy wouldn't venture within a mile of the place given that the entire restaurant is covered in monkey nut dust.

Also I generally understand Spoony's posts no bother. So THERE.

Comment

Yay! So there I’m not a bot and I CAN identify all the squares with bridges or road signs in them. Tbh my last “posh” burger was in Irish chain Jo’Burger about three year back. Hated hated hated it.

But every handsome Edwardian mini scraper in the Glasgow grid, the foyer floor seems to have some burger/meat joint in it.
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-11-2017, 23:32.

Comment

That was not sneering, that was more like playful ribbing. I'm sorry that I caused offense.

Comment

See this is why I like In n Out burger. They are doing non-posh burgers properly. They fill in that niche in the market for people who are willing to pay a whole quid or two more than McDonalds or Burger King to have a burger that doesn't taste like a courdroy plane wing, but still don't want high priced posh burger hipster bullshit.

Although that niche apparently only exists in California, so my In in Out burger sample size is 1.

Comment

In N Out are good, as far as $2 burgers go. But people treat them as something special and fantastic, worth travelling miles for, when really they're pretty mundane burgers that a merely superior to McD's and BK's crap. I like Five Guys, but it's way overpriced for what it is, and takes too long.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post

Although that niche apparently only exists in California, so my In in Out burger sample size is 1.
                                                    It's on the border, but only In in Out burger I've tasted was in Kingman, AZ on way back from CA. If they put one in ABQ they'd have perpetual lines for their first month of business, such is the fandom of their burgers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X