Impossible Burgers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    I'm all in favour of petri-dish grown meat if they can get it to have the texture and taste other meat.

I'm sufficiently selfish that I don't want to give up something I really enjoy, but if there's meat that doesn't involve dead animals and massive carbon emissions, then that sounds fucking brilliant.
    At the risk of returning to several pages previous, I can't disagree with this—lab-grown meat will be a reality in the near future.

I just wonder what will happen to domesticated livestock. I guess we'll have to pay to take our kids to look at them in farms, or they'll have to live in zoos. They won't be much use in the wild. The population of cows, pigs and sheep will shrink to tens of thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
      I know Jah, but whilst my pedantic nature might well have incorporated more of the recipe (mustard, egg, whatever) it lost out to my instinct to try to make a serviceable joke out of the comment. This may not have paid off, of course.
      Yes, a bit unfair of me to pull that up. A good rarebit can include ale, Worcestershire sauce, goodness-knows-what - but sure, that wasn't the point...

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
        Well, one thing we can all be thankful for is that neither McDonald's nor Burger King offer their wares on wooden boards, slates or other such rubbish. And no little buckets of quintuple fried pub chips, either.
        I ordered a breakfast stack (a breakfast roll with too much stuff inside) in a Marston's pub yesterday and it came on a wooden board, how pretentious of them.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          I always thought that a "burger" was the bit of meat / non-meat anyway. Bread never entered the equation.
          Didn't enter the equation in our house til I was about 11. Though in our house buttered bread would be served with most meals, so I probably ate the burger on its own and then piled the chips into the bread.

Comment

If the filling is hot, then it is not a sandwich.

Comment

What is it about this question that brings out individuals' inner insanity?

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                I thought I ate a fishfinger sandwich last week. I wonder what it really was?

Comment

What's a carvery sandwich then, if it's not a sandwich?

Comment

What's a carvery sandwich?

Comment

Leftover meatloaf / meatball sandwich is, of course, amazing; either hot or cold. In fact, maybe just cold.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        What's a carvery sandwich?
                        A sandwich you get from a carvery, ie a place that roasts meat and carves off slices fresh to put in sandwiches. Hence, a sandwich with a hot filling.

Also, bacon and egg sandwiches are usually hot too.

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
                          And those cold bacon sandwiches. Yep, those are all the rage in our local cafes.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                            I don’t understand this at all. What is bacon and fried egg between two slices of untoasted buttered bread called? (Apart from heaven)

Comment

Untoasted? What the matter with you?

Comment

Well, obvs toasted is superior. Was just giving an example of the madness of Bryan’s definition. He’d probably argue toast isn’t a component of a sandwich as well.

Comment

Well....alright then.

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
                                    you never really know with fishfingers

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Untoasted? What the matter with you?
                                      We're not in the camp for irredeemable loonies who think bacon sandwiches should have toasted bread?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                        I ordered a breakfast stack (a breakfast roll with too much stuff inside) in a Marston's pub yesterday and it came on a wooden board, how pretentious of them.
                                        Wood has grain. Smooth slate I can understand (but would far rather see it on gaffs than my table), but surely little particles of gunk and germs gather in the grooves. Earthenware developed for a reason, isn’t the whole wooden board thing unhygienic if not unsafe?

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                          We're not in the camp for irredeemable loonies who think bacon sandwiches should have toasted bread?
                                          Nah, that’s a toasted bacon sandwich. Different taste experience altogether. Nowt wrong with it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Nah, that’s a toasted bacon sandwich. Different taste experience altogether. Nowt wrong with it either.
                                            No. A toasted bacon sandwich is a bacon sandwich that's been toasted. A sandwich MADE WITH TOAST is a whole different kettle of ball games.

Comment

Fuckin minefield, this.

Comment

Agreed. Cheese on toast, is absolutely different from toasted cheese/grilled cheese/whatever the fuck Americans do to theirs.

Comment

So how would you order bacon and eggs served on toasted bread? I’ve no problem seeing a toastie as something different in a Brevel/Foreman stylee, but are we then left with a sandwich of bacon and eggs toasted bread being called “bacon and eggs on toast” all unwieldy like? Then we are lacking a word.
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-11-2017, 21:20.

Comment

Well there is such a thing as "bacon and eggs on toast", but it's not a sandwich.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X