Impossible Burgers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible Burgers.

Anyone tried one yet? Vegetable-based burger that looks, smells, feels and tastes like real meat. Although I don't eat a lot of burgers, I am intrigued by a good meat substitute. However I get the idea that this is full of artificial crap that may end up being worse for me (although better for the cow) than a real burger.

The http://i3.glasgowlive.co.uk/incoming...0156410942.jpg pie burger from hell at that there link (picture posting doesn’t seem to be working right now on my iOS pos.) the fuck is anyone supposed to eat a scotch pie burger without taking it apart? Fucking Weegie beardo post ironist wanks, Finneston needs a good dose of Badness coming its way soon. As well for Brexit.

For rather have a substitute to that. If I knew what was in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      The http://i3.glasgowlive.co.uk/incoming...0156410942.jpg pie burger from hell at that there link (picture posting doesn’t seem to be working right now on my iOS pos.) the fuck is anyone supposed to eat a scotch pie burger without taking it apart? Fucking Weegie beardo post ironist wanks, Finneston needs a good dose of Badness coming its way soon. As well for Brexit.

For rather have a substitute to that. If I knew what was in it.
      Has Lang Spoon always been some sort of 'bot?

Comment

Shit man, I’m not trying to advertise that. It’s an impossible burger to me cos I’ve no idea how you’re supposed to eat that scotch pie double cheeseburger. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I’d really want to know what’s in those pseudo meat burgers. Or eat quorn or something else less boring instead.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-11-2017, 23:32.

Comment

I've been curious about these myself, but not curious enough to go across the river. I mentioned it to my veggie friend, but I don't think she got that I was only talking about this veggie burger, not just any random soybean burger from anywhere else.

Comment

Haven't tried one yet, but more places have them now, and I'd like to have one. There's also a competitor, the Beyond Burger. The Impossible Burger seems to be trying to build word-of-mouth (heh) by being in more high-end places and is generally more exclusive. The Beyond Burger is sold in supermarkets and now they have an agreement with some big food distributor that serves places like hospitals and school cafeterias, so it's possible they might be more widely found outside of markets.

Comment

Which is probably more use than becoming a Byron’s Burgers High end thing.

Comment

I like veggie burgers more than the real thing anyway. My only complaint with them is that they fall apart too easily

Comment

That looks horrible; why would anyone go to those lengths to make pretend meat? Trying to replicate rareness is borderline insane.

Mock Duck is one the most unpleasant things I have ever eaten.

Comment

I agree that this looks disgusting, and from (my own) vegetarian perspective, the whole concept sounds ludicrous. However, from a more general view, if we can reduce meat consumption there is no downside, and the only coherent reason for eating meat is "I like the taste", so if that can be replicated, and if that's what it takes, then I think we should probably go for it. If we could persuade meat eaters to stop eating meat in a normal non-synthetic way, then great. But we can't, so let's try this instead.

Comment

Good point, ah. Also, given the absurd fetishisation of meat based burgers in recent years, the effort put into developing the replicant ones isn't so far out of step with fashion.

Comment

Hows about bug burgers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                          This explains a lot. Most of the individual words it uses are superficially comprehensible, yet its syntax means I've hardly ever made sense of a whole sentence.

Comment

Put one of those 'wonky letter' things on his log-in?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              Hows about bug burgers?
                              "Buggers", surely.

Comment

What's the point of burgers when you can eat falafel anyway.

I don't get this burger revival hipster thing that's going on. Brioche buns for god's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                  What's the point of burgers when you can eat falafel anyway.
                                  I hate chickpeas.

Comment

wat jammer!

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      I agree that this looks disgusting, and from (my own) vegetarian perspective, the whole concept sounds ludicrous. However, from a more general view, if we can reduce meat consumption there is no downside, and the only coherent reason for eating meat is "I like the taste", so if that can be replicated, and if that's what it takes, then I think we should probably go for it. If we could persuade meat eaters to stop eating meat in a normal non-synthetic way, then great. But we can't, so let's try this instead.
                                      Exactly correct. Impossible Burgers are not made for vegans or vegetarians. You guys can continue eating your same bland tofu burgers that you've convinced yourselves tastes good. If I found a meat substitute that actually tasted like meat, I would gladly eat it whenever I could.

Comment

I thought In n Out burger was pretty good. Basically they are acknowledging that burgers are supposed to be cheap fast food and just concentrate on doing it well. They do the little things right like toasting the buns.

Five Guys I don't get. They take an average burger, wrap it in tin foil and then sit on it. Even if you didn't order take out, that's how it is served. And then they charge you sit down restaurant prices for the resulting soggy mess.

Comment

Yes, ad hoc, I think that Impossible Burgers are for omnivores like me who, with half a mind to animal welfare, sustainability, ethics and health, would try and possibly adopt in the long-term such meat substitutes. I already use Quorn instead of chicken pieces and would probably quite happily have some of these at home or in a restaurant if they were widely available. I am sure that there are some veggies who really really miss burgers who would go for it but, as you say, the whole authentic nature of them may put a lot off anyway.

As has started to have been talked about a lot more, the logical achievable target in reducing environmental damage done by meat production is getting people to eat less meat in the short-term rather than converting to vegetarianism so piecemeal substitution of individual foodstuffs is .a sensible way to go.

Comment

I'm all in favour of petri-dish grown meat if they can get it to have the texture and taste other meat.

I'm sufficiently selfish that I don't want to give up something I really enjoy, but if there's meat that doesn't involve dead animals and massive carbon emissions, then that sounds fucking brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                              Five Guys I don't get.
                                              These places are another part of my Fast Food Blind Spot. Them and South Street Burgers; they're all over, but I've never gone once.

Last week I was telling Mrs WOM how I'd never once eaten at Chick 'n Joy, despite it being at the nearest major intersection to both my childhood home and current home, and having been there over 50 years, and also sponsoring baseball and hockey teams which I'd played against my whole life. I'm not even sure I know anyone who's eaten there, yet they're still ticking along.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                                Exactly correct. Impossible Burgers are not made for vegans or vegetarians. You guys can continue eating your same bland tofu burgers that you've convinced yourselves tastes good. If I found a meat substitute that actually tasted like meat, I would gladly eat it whenever I could.
                                                Sneering put downs of vegetarians and their "bland" food however, don't really appeal

Comment

This explains a lot. Most of the individual words it uses are superficially comprehensible, yet its syntax means I've hardly ever made sense of a whole sentence.

Yis hae made a grown bot cry.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X