Highest number of league teams represented in a national 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highest number of league teams represented in a national 11

I remember that when I first started to get interested in football in 1980 it seemed that half of the England team were Liverpool players.

I've just been looking this up, and over the years Arsenal and Manchester City have also supplied five or six of the starting line up in the England team.

So there have doubtless been England teams (and other international teams) in which only four or five league sides are represented.

But thinking about the flipside, what's the highest number of league teams that have been represented in a national eleven?

Has there ever been a national eleven with eleven different teams providing players?

The US just did this for their recent friendly in Portugal.

The starting XI

Horvath (Club Brugge); Yedlin (Newcastle United), Brooks (Wolfsburg), Miazga (Vitesse), Lichaj (Nottingham Forest); Adams (New York Red Bulls), McKennie (Schalke 04), Williams (Huddersfield Town), Acosta (FC Dallas); Sapong (Philadelphia Union), Agudelo (New England Revolution).

Given the distribution of US internationals, it isn't that unusual.

Comment

Usually, Wales would be all over this - like most small international teams - but Neil Taylor and James Chester are both at Villa.

Comment

Seems like Argentina may have done this recently, too, or come close, since few of their best players play in their domestic league, and are instead scattered throughout Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          Usually, Wales would be all over this - like most small international teams - but Neil Taylor and James Chester are both at Villa.
          But that's just this season. Mind you, last season Hennessey and Ledley were both at Palace.

Comment

Here's another challenge:

Which national side has fielded the most players who were playing for non top division teams ( eg.Steve Bull getting England cap whilst playing for Wolves, who were not a top flight side at the time)

I'll bet three is the highest!

Comment

Wales do achieve this intermittently... the 25 minutes after Joe Ledley was subbed off in the 2018 World Cup qualifier v Moldova being one example;

Palace; Reading, Villa, Everton (West Ham), Tottenham, Swansea; Cardiff, Stoke, Leicester; Burnley (West Brom), Real Madrid

Comment

Originally posted by Renart View Post
                Seems like Argentina may have done this recently, too, or come close, since few of their best players play in their domestic league, and are instead scattered throughout Europe.
                Argentina are going to struggle because often people (often argentinian coaches) like to buy a second argentinian to keep the first one company. The other night they had ottamendi and aguero from man city, di maria and some young player from PSG, and Mascherano and Messi usually start. Then there's romero and rojo, who certainly started the last world cup final. Juventus have dybala and higuain, and Inter have Mauro icardi and javier zanetti.

Comment

Originally posted by lackedpunch View Post

Which national side has fielded the most players who were playing for non top division teams ( eg.Steve Bull getting England cap whilst playing for Wolves, who were not a top flight side at the time)

Northern Ireland and Ireland would regularly play half a dozen players from the English Championship and lower. Against Denmark on Tuesday Ireland started with Randolph (Boro), Christie (Derby), Murphy (Forest) and Meyler (Hull). McGeady (Sund) and Hoolahan (Norwich) came on. Similarly with other smaller countries. Every Liechtenstein club plays in the Swiss pyramid and only Vaduz play occasionally in the top division. I wouldn't be surprised if they fielded an entire team playing outside the top flight. Current Liechtenstein squad contains one player at Verona and one at Toronto, the rest are down the divisions.
                  Last edited by seand; 16-11-2017, 00:39.

Comment

TAB, neither Romero nor Rojo were Manchester United players when the last World Cup final was played, mind. But yeah, you're right about the fact that there are nearly always at least one or two pairs of players involved who are clubmates. I was going to suggest Tuesday's friendly as a possibility actually, off the top of my head, because Messi was given a few days off so wasn't involved. But I'd forgotten Agüero and Otamendi, Di María and Lo Celso. Argentina do seem quite likely to be the highest-ranked team with a low number of (but not no) clubmates involved, though.

Without looking this up, I bet three isn't the highest. There'll be teams way down the rankings who dream of one day being able to field an actual top flight footballer, I'd have thought.

Comment

Slovakia's starting XI vs Norway on Tuesday featured players from 10 different clubs. Tomas Hubocan and Jan Durica (making his last international appearance) spoiled things, as both play for Trabzonspor.

Between them, the 24 players initially in the squad for this game play their club football in 13 different countries. I wonder if any country that's made it to the World Cup will have such a diaspora (for want of a better word).

Comment

At the last World Cup Ghana had the squad playing in the most countries, also 13 (but only 23 players) - Ghana, Greece, UAE, Belgium, Italy, Netherlands, Germany, France, Norway, England, South Africa, Russia, Tunisia

Comment

I've just been looking this up, and over the years Arsenal and Manchester City have also supplied five or six of the starting line up in the England team.
                          You probably didn't need to go as far back as you did: Spurs have regularly supplied five starters (Walker [pre-move], Rose, Dier, Alli, Kane) over the past couple of seasons, including three of the matches in Euro 2016. (For all the good it did.)

Anyways, back to topic...

Comment

Australia last night - 11 clubs and seven countries on a quick count.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                              Northern Ireland and Ireland would regularly play half a dozen players from the English Championship and lower
                              For the first three games of this qualifying series NI used only 3 EPL players. Usually it was 4 and for one game only 5. Still, we do have some exotic glamor- big Laugherty has played in 5 different countries.

Right, time for the regular Jan Durica quiz. Who is the odd man out and why?

Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 16-11-2017, 12:19.

Comment

N Ireland v Honduras 1982: Arsenal, Toronto Blizzard, Luton, Tulsa Roughnecks, Southampton, Norwich, Watford, Burnley, Stoke, Rangers, Manchester United http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches...959/index.html

Comment

Back in the day when the FA treated the other Home Nations with contempt, Wales fielded three non-league players against Scotland in 1930.
                                  The FA refused permission for non-English players to be released from their Football League clubs for international duty meaning Wales had to select a team from Welsh clubs. Of the XI who played, Fred Keenor had 29 caps, Len Evans the keeper was winning his second cap whilst the other nine were debutants.

Len Evans (Cardiff City)
                                  Fred Dewey (Cardiff Corinthians)
                                  Wynne Crompton (Wrexham)
                                  Billy Rogers (Wrexham)
                                  Fred Keenor (Cardiff City)
                                  Emrys Ellis (Nunhead)
                                  William Collins (Llanelli)
                                  John Neal (Colwyn Bay)
                                  Thomas Bamford (Wrexham)
                                  Walter Robbins (Cardiff City)
                                  Billy Thomas (Newport County)
                                  Last edited by Jorge Porbillas; 16-11-2017, 13:37. Reason: spelling

Comment

That's amazing – I mean, I've never even heard of Nunhead. Where is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      But that's just this season. Mind you, last season Hennessey and Ledley were both at Palace.
                                      ... and now with Edwards joining Gunter at Reading!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                        That's amazing – I mean, I've never even heard of Nunhead. Where is it?
                                        Apparently it's in London ... but I did have to Google it! Emrys went on to win three caps - a second whilst at Nunhead and a third after joining Oswestry Town!

Surprisingly Emrys is also Nunhead's only ever international player, but Denis Compton did play for them prior to signing for Arsenal (thanks Wikipedia!)
                                        Last edited by Jorge Porbillas; 16-11-2017, 13:36.

Comment

Rio and Anton Ferdinand are from Nunhead

Comment

Upping the ante, has any national team fielded 14 (starting 11 and 3 subs ) from 14 different teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                              Apparently it's in London ... but I did have to Google it! Emrys went on to win three caps - a second whilst at Nunhead and a third after joining Oswestry Town!

Surprisingly Emrys is also Nunhead's only ever international player, but Denis Compton did play for them prior to signing for Arsenal (thanks Wikipedia!)
                                              The location of their old ground is five minutes walk from my flat in South East London; they were quite a prominent club at the time Emrys Ellis won his caps having just won their second successive Isthmian league title, but they effectively disbanded during the Second World War.

Comment

I remember that when I first started to get interested in football in 1980 it seemed that half of the England team were Liverpool players.

So there have doubtless been England teams (and other international teams) in which only four or five league sides are represented.

But thinking about the flipside, what's the highest number of league teams that have been represented in a national eleven?

Has there ever been a national eleven with eleven different teams providing players?
                                                I realise that this is going the other way but didn't the Soviet Union fairly regularly field teams almost entire made up of Dynamo Kiev players?

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                                  I realise that this is going the other way but didn't the Soviet Union fairly regularly field teams almost entire made up of Dynamo Kiev players?
                                                  Think Scotland started out being exclusively represented by Queens Park.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X