Amazon "Lord of the Rings" series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon "Lord of the Rings" series

Apparently, it's going to be set before the Fellowship, which suggests Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, then. Like The Hobbit, one suspects they're trying to make any source material stretch to the point of absurdity:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...show-confirmed

Oh fuck off hobbits. Having nerds in charge of stuff is no better than jocks.

Comment

It would be hilarious if they cut out Tom Bombadil again.

Comment

Zero enthusiasm for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          Or gave him the most aggravating, all-Tom spinoff ever....

Comment

Oh lordy, don't even joke WOM...

Bombadil can't be "cut out again" as he doesn't actually turn up in any pre-LOTR material, to my recollection – unless he's in some Unfinished Tales (which I've never read) stuff? By implication he's around during the events of The Silmarillion, given he's supposed to be "Oldest of All", but certainly doesn't impinge on the action anywhere. As is his wont.

Comment

Likewise Hobbits are basically absent from any non-LOTR and The Hobbit parts of the legendarium[/releasing the inner nerd]

Comment

I give it about a decade before they start making a tetralogy out of Roverandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  Couldn't stand to read the part of the book he was in and skipped ahead to where he had flecked off. Can't really remember what it was about him that annoyed me. Rhyming? Singing?

Typo left in. Take that, Robert Fleck!

Comment

Was gutted when he flecked off to Chelsea. At least he flecked back again a few years later though.

Comment

My favourite ever player! Fleck was the all-action, bustling, fiery, take-no-prisoners, nuisance-making, spectacular-goal-scoring leader of the Norwich forward line when I first started supporting them early in the 1988-89 season, so he imprinted on my imagination in a way no other player was able to. I was actually there for his home 're-debut' for the Canaries after he flecked back from Chelsea, when he scored either a flying header or volley (I can never remember which – in fact in the heat of the moment I initially thought Darren Eadie's hammered cross had gone straight in) and the stands just erupted. I've not actually been to that much live sport in my life, and certainly never experienced anything else like the way Carrow Road went apeshit in that instant: it remains my single favourite moment of 'in the flesh' sporting action.

Back on topic (ish), yes there is a lot of singing, versifying and otherwise waxing poetic in LotR, almost none of which made it into the films for good reason. I can see how the casual reader might want to smash Tom Bombadil's smug, twee*, whimsical face in after the seventh or eighth rhyme.

* See PT's post below.
                      Last edited by Various Artist; 17-11-2017, 23:19.

Comment

All that stuff about how he married the river's daughter and stuff. It's embarrassingly twee.

Comment

That's it, I knew there was another adjective I was looking for: twee.

I love Tolkien, by the way. But, yeah.

Comment

I think Tolkien would have benefitted from a less indulgent editor.

Comment

One who told him that he really needed to re-work the first dozen chapters, as they still read like the kids book follow up to The Hobbit that he obviously thought he was writing initially (eleventy-first birthday parties, Bombadil being the most obvious examples), before he decided to change tack and try and aim it more at adults.

Comment

I guess that might be why I bailed out early on my first attempt to read LotR. Then when I finally finished it I remember wishing there was more. (And wow, that's nearly forty years ago. 1978.)

Comment

Working...
                                X