Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    Quote Originally Posted by antoine polus View Post
    I have no idea what accent that is supposed to be in the film.
    I thought that was the point.

Teams
    Partick Thistle, Scotland
    Biscuit
    Caramel wafer
    Actor
    Henry Rollins (apparently)
    Aye, Postlethwaite's playing a white man with a Japanese name and a cod-Indian accent - it's supposed to be a clue that Spacey's character is telling whoppers and had invented the whole thing.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    Joanna Scanlon.

AND KATHY FUCKING BURKE. To give her, her full name.

*I know she would absolutely hate the idea, but if Dame Kathy ever got skint, she could have a nice pension in Eastenders.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    I really like Julia Stiles. It's uncanny. She's not turned out to be a major star and she's in a lot of so-so stuff, but I always like her. She seems like somebody I'd want to hang out with. Like, if she were in your group of friends, she'd always put in the effort and make something tasty that nobody else would think to bring, like a salad. And she wouldn't let her kids run rampant and wreck your house when they all visit. And her husband would be a good guy who'd offer you some nice Scotch.

There's a young woman I know who looks so much like Julia Stiles that it freaks me out a bit. She was in the youth group I help with and now goes to Penn State and works in a coffee shop I often stop at. I suspect people ask her about 10 Things I Hate About You all the time.

Speaking of that, Heath Leger was always good. RIP

Peter Dinklage is always good. Good on SNL too.

He might be a jerk, but Alec Baldwin is always reliable in comedic roles. His early "leading man" career wasn't much, but he's funny in stuff like 30 Rock and on SNL.

Same with Christopher Walken.

Did I mention Tom Wilkinson? He's always good. And usually in good stuff. Brian Cox is a lot like that, but not always in great stuff.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 14-11-2017 at 20:10.

Teams
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    HP: Totally with you about Julia Stiles.

I'd seen her ages ago in some Julia Roberts thing about teaching (but I'd seen her before that), and it proved, what she proved in the "Bourne" things: that she is an actor, and Matt Damon is a star. Much as I like him.

*Oh, and if you don't know who Kathy Burke is, I can guarantee that what 95%** of the British posters here would say, would be, "I'd love to have a drink with her."

**Notwithstanding, any friends of Bill W.
    Last edited by Gerontophile; 14-11-2017 at 20:11.

Couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    She’s amazing in Nil By Mouth, she is subtle and believable where Ray Winstone wanders off into cartoon wounded monster mode.

Teams
    The Boro
    Biscuit
    Malted Milk
    TBH my shout for Postlethwaite has more to do with working on his one man theatre show Scaramouche Jones in the early 00's. That said I'd always found him immensely watchable, but seeing him in the flesh cranked it right up.

You never can tell with bees.
    Teams
    Manchester United, River Plate and Barcelona
    Biscuit
    Dark chocolate digestive
    Actor
    A young David Bowie
    Ha! I was just going to say the same. From 2000 to 2002 I was in sixth form, and one of my mates (who's now a semi-famous stage magician) got a loan from his stepdad to set up a website and him, me and a couple of friends would get press passes for theatres in Bristol and review shows. For the most part, he'd do the musicals at the Hippodrome and I'd do the 'talkies' at the Old Vic, by and large. And of all the things I saw - a lot of which were very, very good - Scaramouche Jones was the best. An awful lot of other actors would have had their work cut out to make it work in a studio setting; Postlethwaite did it on the main stage of the Old Vic and had the audience in the palm of his hand all the way through. Ridiculously good.

Others for me: Orson Welles, Charlie Chaplin (two pretty leftfield choices there, I think you'll all agree), Idris Elba, seconds for Olivia Colman and Tilda Swinton, and a first vote for Gemma Arterton.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Caramel wafer
    Actor
    Your second vote for tilda Swinton is actually her third - I completely missed that Sean of the Shed had mentioned her on page 1 (sorry Sean).

Teams
    Reading
    Biscuit
    Chocolate Butternut Snap
    Another vote for Olivia Coleman here.

From the first time I saw Dead Man's Shoes, I'd have to say Paddy Considine. I couldn't believe it was the same bloke who played Rob Gretton is 24 Hour Party People.

Teams
    Leyton Orient
    Quote Originally Posted by ian.64 View Post
    Then there's Ian Holm, for his quietly-conveyed style of acting (never overdoing it, never underselling it and always watchable).
    I'd agree with that. I take the view that no film can be truly awful if it has Ian Holm in it, even stuff like The Day After Tomorrow.

I'll watch anything Michael Sheen is in.

Leftist Dad
    Biscuit
    You can't whack a custard cream
    Another vote for Considine here. Fantastic and compelling in everything I've seen him in

Leftist Dad
    Biscuit
    You can't whack a custard cream
    Has anyone said Maxine Peake yet? If not, I will.

I'd bracket Fassbender in with Considine too, after Shame which was the first thing in which I saw him.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Caramel wafer
    Actor
    Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    Has anyone said Maxine Peake yet? If not, I will.
    Oh aye, seconded. I'd forgotten her, she's ace.

She was especially excellent opposite the aformentioned Considine in the second part of Red Riding.

Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Alex Baldwin fans like HP should seek out Miami Blues. Starts with him breaking a Hare Krishna’s fingers at the airport. Sets the scene right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Correction Pryce not Price.
    Except Tomorrow Never Dies of course, which I suspect even die-hard Bond fans would struggle to watch a second time.

Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Oh Christ Pierce Brosnan. Murdoch on a submarine. Awful awful shite, even worse than Face/Off which I feel like I saw around the same time.

Brosnan James Bond can gtf. Even Goldeneye, the N64 game is way more polished and cinematic than that Poor Little Rusky Sean Bean, Robbie fucking Coltrane giving it full Ham rubbish.

Jumpin Jack Flash, with Whoopi Goldberg and Ser Pryce, another steaming blot on the Great Man’s copybook (though I think mostly he is doing a voiceover for a CPU monitor till the last 10 minutes).

Teams
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    Pretty much anyone named Ryan Gosling or Reynolds. Both give great smirk.

I'm nervous and my socks are too loose.
    Teams
    Liverpool FC
    Biscuit
    The sadly MIA Bandit Biscuit
    Actor
    Joe 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
    From the first time I saw Dead Man's Shoes, I'd have to say Paddy Considine.
    YES. He's brilliant in everything, but Dead Man's Shoes is terrifying, built on his performance. The pub scene scares the shit out of me.

Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Gonna send them into space! Jesus, that scene when they’re eating their own jaws mangled spiked before they even know what’s going on, Jesus. Still don’t think Shane Meadows has bettered the film.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-11-2017 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    YES. He's brilliant in everything, but Dead Man's Shoes is terrifying, built on his performance. The pub scene scares the shit out of me.
    What I found most terrifying about the same scene ("YOU, YER C***!") was that it wasn't a pub. It looked like a social club where the young men of Matlock went out of sheer necessity to relieve the boredom, rubbing shoulders with old blokes drinking pints of mild.

The scene where Gary Stretch confronts Considine in the street ("You're not scared of me, are you?") is gripping.

Teams
    Reading
    Biscuit
    Chocolate Butternut Snap
    Assuming being deceased doesn’t preclude a mention, Philip Seymour Hoffman. In anything.

Wherever you go, there you are
    Teams
    Burnley, Boston Bruins
    Biscuit
    Hobnob
    Actor
    Kurt Russell
    Quote Originally Posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Jumpin Jack Flash, with Whoopi Goldberg and Ser Pryce, another steaming blot on the Great Man’s copybook (though I think mostly he is doing a voiceover for a CPU monitor till the last 10 minutes).
    Until the last scene, in fact.

It has John Wood in it. I'm not that familiar with his work, but he's ace in War Games and Ladyhawke.