Actors who entice you to watch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Kelly McDonald is great. She's not in enough.
    Have you seen Intermission? It's certainly the best thing that Colm Meaney and Colin Farrell have ever done, and I don't know if Cillian Murphy or kelly mcDonald have been in anything better. The opening scene is extraordinary. Farrell can actually act. The Plot revolves around cillian Murphy's response to dumping Kelly McDonald, and getting all pissy when she moves in with Roose Bolton.

I'm going to have to say Kevin Spacey. I've watched him in all sorts of shite with a sense of morbid fascination and awe. Even his bobby darin musical. I've known since he was shooting a film in Dublin in the late nineties that he was trying to make his way through every handsome, insecure young actor in Dublin, and he wasn't anywhere near as polite about it as Rock Hudson was when he came to town back in the day. that's the year that American Beauty came out, Watching American Beauty, it occurred to me that not only was he brilliant in that movie, but he was so good in spite of everything else, he was by far the best actor I'd ever seen, and who the fuck needs to be that good at acting?

the movie Spacey was making in dublin was called ordinary decent criminal, and It didn't receive a release in the US. Spacey played a thinly disguised versipn of Irish gangster Martin cahill, who was famous for a number of things, but one of them was having two separate families, with two sisters. Played in this movie by Ross's wife in friends, and Linda fucking fiorentino, who looked as out of place in a run down 80's dublin council estate, as an entire Roman legion, or an the whale from Free Willy. The policeman who was hunting him down obsessively grew up to be Stannis baratheon. It was good in parts, but overall a terrible idea. Having hollywood stars did it no favours in the american market, and it completely torpedoed the movie from the beginning. The movie was like rocket fuel for Colin Farrell's career though.

The other thing was that The film came out two years after John Boorman made a martin Cahill with Brendan Gleeson in the lead, with his wives played by maria doyle Kennedy (Dexter's nanny) and Angeline Ball who were both in the commitments, and the Kerry Garda who was remorselessly hounded him was so well done, that I was shocked to discover that he was played by Angelina Jolie's dad. Boorman won a best director at Cannes, but it was not a notable financial success.

Comment

I have no idea if he's also been in a lot of crap, but several of my favourite films have John Malkovich in, and I've yet to see him in a stinker.

Comment

Colin Farrell is very watchable (won me over on In Bruges although I will never watch his sword-and-sandal disaster.

You should watch it. It's glorious. If only for the ridiculously half hearted way that they try to deal with Alexander's sexuality. It makes the whole thing more hilariously camp than the Rocky horror picture show.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          I loved Daisy Ridley in The Force Awakens but haven't sought out any of her other stuff.
          Likewise, indeed I haven't knowingly seen her in anything else at all – until the night before last, when I belatedly got around to finally watching Toast of London, of all things. She turns up right at the end of episode 3 as a nameless stagehand, who Matt Berry has a 30-second conversation with in the wings before dashing on stage in the same closing shot as every other episode in this series (Series 1) I've seen to date. Her expressions and delivery are great, just as in The Force Awakens, and it's a shame she doesn't turn up again in the subsequent episodes; it's amazing to think that this was 2013 and she was a nobody then.

Haha, just found this on IMDb in the 'Trivia' tab for the series:
          Daisy Ridley made a very small guest appearance in an episode. According to Matt Berry, he wanted to bring her back on the show, but couldn't get in touch with her. It later turned out that she has been cast in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), which made her unavailable for some time. Berry remarked "We couldn't really compete with Daisy being in Star Wars."

Comment

The other thing was that The film came out two years after John Boorman made a martin Cahill with Brendan Gleeson in the lead, with his wives played by maria doyle Kennedy (Dexter's nanny) and Angeline Ball who were both in the commitments, and the Kerry Garda who was remorselessly hounded him was so well done, that I was shocked to discover that he was played by Angelina Jolie's dad. Boorman won a best director at Cannes, but it was not a notable financial success.

The General (Boorman's film) is fucking excellent, and one of the few movies that actually benefits from being shot in black and white*. And Gleeson is superb. Actually Brendan Gleeson is a good shout for "I'd watch pretty much anything with him in it" status.

*shooting modern movies in black and white is an artsy affectation that I fucking loathe. Our eyes work in colour. Film since the 1940s works in colour. Make the fucking movie in colour. Honourable exceptions: the aforementioned General, and Schindler's List.

Sorry, back on topic: in addition to B.Gleeson, I'll watch pretty much anything with David Strathairn, Ellen Page, Tilda Swinton or Stephen Lang in it.

Comment

blameless, dublin in the 1980's actually was in black and white.

There's a scene in the General where he robs boorman's house and steals the gold record he got for the soundtrack of deliverance, and breaks it when he discovers it's not actually gold.

Comment

I'll second Brendan Gleeson. I've never seen a bad performance by him.

Comment

Tom Hanks isn't smug. That's just what his face looks like.

I like Hot Pepsi's Freaks & Geeks/Undeclared reference. I'm not sure that Seth Rogin's discernment in choosing roles qualifies him for this thread, but I'd give anything with Linda Cardellini a go. She was superb in Mad Men and Bloodlines.
                  I was thinking the same. Not sure why I didn't write it. He's appeared in some crap films. But also some good ones.

Have you seen Intermission? It's certainly the best thing that Colm Meaney and Colin Farrell have ever done, and I don't know if Cillian Murphy or kelly mcDonald have been in anything better. The opening scene is extraordinary. Farrell can actually act. The Plot revolves around cillian Murphy's response to dumping Kelly McDonald, and getting all pissy when she moves in with Roose Bolton.
                  I haven't seen that. Will look into it.

Jennifer Lawrence is usually very good. I didn't see that sci-fi one because I heard it's kinda rapey. I guess I forgot to mention her earlier because I hadn't seen anything with her in a while except that one about the mop.
                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-11-2017, 15:44.

Comment

I like J-Law a lot, but even she isn't going to get me to sit through a Hunger Games movie again.

John Cusack
                    Steve Buscemi
                    Jeff Bridges
                    Michelle Yeoh
                    Kristen Bell
                    Aubrey Plaza (more on the TV side)
                    Clint Eastwood (up to Gran Torino, anyway)

Comment

Brian Dennehy has been in some rubbish, but he's never been rubbish in them.

Comment

Speaks a man who’s never lived in a gaff where the only English language stations were the Hallmark Channel and something called BBC Prime (Ex Pats! watch your favourite shit beeb sitcoms from 5 years ago). Hallmark and Dennehy, like Cheese and Macaroni. Beau bridges another constant of made for tv misery.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-11-2017, 20:10.

Comment

Sometimes you could see the Sadness in Brian’s eyes. Phoning it in doesn’t cover it. No greater man in 80s cop thrillers but.

Comment

You see, my awareness of Dennehy's ouevre is limited to 80s cop thrillers and Cocoon.

*goes off to watch Best Seller again, hoping I finally find the copy without The Worst Fucking Ending In The World*

Comment

John Cusack and his later reboot Paul Rudd for their likeability. They, along with Nic Cage, give the impression that they'll burst out laughing when the director calls cut on the ridiculous film they're making, because, hey, dressing up and pretending to be someone else is actually fun.

Serious actors: I like Tom Hanks but don't like his films. I guess Leo DiCaprio is a big draw for me - along with many others, I scoffed when Scorsese anointed this dumb teen idol as actor of choice 20 odd years ago, but he's been proved right many times over.

And Jennifer Lawrence for sure. She's a bit too attractive for a lot of her roles, but the talent outshines her beauty, and I guess (unfortunately) she wouldn't get the roles if she wasn't a looker, to paraphrase Inverdale.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                I have no idea if he's also been in a lot of crap, but several of my favourite films have John Malkovich in, and I've yet to see him in a stinker.
                                Ripley’s Game? It’s got Ray faacking Winstone in it and everything. Terrible shite.

Comment

Tom Wilkinson is always a winner that I want to see.

George Clooney

Comment

Should've included Gleason when I mentioned Farrell. And I've altered history and doctored my earlier post.

Comment

He's absolutely brilliant in The Guard.

Comment

Dennehy was great in the F/X movies, and could play creepy types as well as union bosses and cops. He has solid theatre pedigree such as Willy Loman, and was in a Peter Greenaway film.

McGregor was hit and miss in Fargo but always watchable.

From Dexter: Michael C Hall, Keith Carradine.

Harriet Walter is great even when just getting a few episodes , as in Call The Midwife. Olivia Colman gave Broadchurch some credibility when all else was spiralling into plot armageddon.

GoT: Iain Glen, Anton Lesser, Peter Dinklage, Jonathan Price. The actresses get a tough task given the stereotypes they inhabit.

Comment

Correction Pryce not Price.

Comment

Actors who entice you to watch
                                            It depends on what they want me to watch them doing....

Comment

He's quite a good traditional Fiddle player, and I saw him playing at a session in Drumshanbo one year. Apparently he's a grand lad entirely. He only gave up the teaching at 36 so he's a bit more 'normal' than people who go straight into acting in college, and focus on that.

Comment

Pete Postlethwaite, I'm with Spielberg on the greatest actor thing.

PS. Still chuckling that at first typing my iPad corrected his surname to "apostle thwart"!

Comment

He was absolute rubbish in Usual Suspects (which was generally a shit film, in fairness). I have no idea what accent that is supposed to be in the film.

In the Name of the Father however... Postlethwaite and Day-Lewis are like an acting master class.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                                    I have no idea what accent that is supposed to be in the film.
                                                    I thought that was the point.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X