Motherland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherland

No thread on the painfully funny skewering of stressed-out and competitive middle-class parenthood yet? Loved last night's first episode (though I thought the pilot episode last year was slightly funnier), with some properly Office-esque moments of cringing. And nice little incidental flourishes (like how you knew the negligent complacent husband figure would be an Arsenal fan). Anyway, good stuff.

The 2nd episode is already on the iplayer.

I'm a bit unconvinced by the male character, and it's a bit 'middle class problems' for me. But it's nicely skewed, and the central characters are really well played.

Comment

I think both the male character, and the main alpha-mum, Amanda, function as caricatures yeah (in the same way Finchy did in The Office, as a comedy grotesque of a particular archetype). And of course it's 'middle-class problems', but it's a pretty merciless piss-take of them.

Dianne Morgan is obviously a scene-stealer and it wouldn't be as good without her.

Comment

I thought the pilot was outrageously good, and these ones have been a fair bit more chaotic, but still fun. Some proper solid laughs in each episode – what was that one about "Darling, I can't help if it's a midday kick off –*modern football treats its fans with such contempt"

All the episodes seem to be on iPlayer already – anyone know what's going on with that? I wonder if it's been a bit hidden or something, either way, seems to really undersell something with some great characters.

Comment

Just watched episodes four and five. Scratch the above - absolutely brilliant.

Comment

I watched the whole series yesterday - most entertaining.

Re the iPlayer question: I've noticed the Beeb have put all episodes of a series on iPlayer as soon as the first episode has been shown a few times now. Gunpowder was a recent one - we'd watched the final episode on iPlayer only to then notice it was being broadcast later that day on BBC1. Maybe they're testing how the online viewing figures go with the binge-watching that seems to be increasingly popular these days?

Comment

Enjoying Motherland - just finished episode 4.

Regarding Gunpowder, I've just finished watching that on the iPlayer, where I notice that it's described as "Series 1". I think they might be optimistic if they are expecting a second series.

Comment

Gunpowder II - Zombie Catholics!

Comment

wiblflibl – ah, yes, that make sense, attempting to access the binge watching demographic.

That said, it seems a weird thing to do to me, intuitively –*if you give me all of Motherland now, I'm quite likely to watch it, but that significantly decreases the chances of me running across other BBC programmes while I'm nosing around for the next episode.

Comment

I enjoyed ML (pilot and #1 so far) despite falling outside the target demographics (I'm neither female, parental, that London N8 nor middle-class).

Comment

Found the pilot episode online and watching it now while Mrs Flibl catches up with Neighbours - "Wish I could restart my career by eating worms" ...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                        I enjoyed ML (pilot and #1 so far) despite falling outside the target demographics (I'm neither female, parental, that London N8 nor middle-class).
                        Same here.

I'm laughing with relief though.

Comment

Yeah second episode lacked for subtlety but still had a few decent laughs, mostly emanating from Morgan again. The token Dad character's degeneration into outright silliness is a missed opportunity –*could have done a lot more with a figure like that.

Comment

Just going to give this a +1 after we devoured the series in very quick time. Superb comedy, more please.

Comment

I liked it a lot, except for the Token Dad. The writing and the overacting for him just kind of pissed me off. Such an arse, such a broad character sketch.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-12-2017, 00:04.

Comment

Yeah there's something about reactionary about depicting the only stay-at-home Dad in this way: Real Men Spend Lots Of Time At Work.

But overall, it picked up towards the end, and the episode where all the tensions and resentments and threesomes with squaddies came out was excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X