Fox News: Your favourite bully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fox News: Your favourite bully

Of course Fox News is a nauseating parade of the despicable. Sean Hannity would get fired from Der Stürmer for being too dishonest and too racist and generally lacking integrity. He's the kind of person who makes the most devout atheist believe in the concept of hell because the idea of Hannity not having to suffer the whole range of mortifications into eternity is just too painful to contemplate. But, to be honest, I wouldn't mind if our side had somebody as shamelessly intellectually dishonest as Hannity to spout forth persuasive and if necessary dishonest propaganda to "the base". All we have, alas, is annoying dweebs with stupid glasses (the übersmug Neal Brannan on the Daily Show makes me want to become a fascist). I envy Fox their Hannity.

The Fox people I really despise are the cunts on "FOX and Friends". The anchor is the improbably named Steve Doocy, who clearly was styled after Wynne Duffy in Justified, just nastier and less honest.

Next to Doocy, whose parents evidently were failed cartoon characters, there'll be some interchangeable blonde who invariably is more intelligent than her male sidekicks, but no less bigoted for it -- except on issues of sexual exploitation, which is something Democratic funders partake in, but never the men of Fox news. For all her superior intelligence, her role is to look like she is permanently sighing in exasperation, and make it look like it's not in reaction to the stupidity of the assholes next to her.

And to the right there's a sullen fuck named Brian Kilmeade. Doocy and Kilmeade look like that really despicable duo of bullies you knew at school. Doocy would do the nasty verbals and small acts of violence, knowing he'd get away with it because Mom and Pop are friends with the principal. When questioned about his bullying, he'd feign outrage and respond, "Who, me?", blame whoever else and continue on his merry way of terror.

And if you objected to Doocy's fuckfaced evilwittery -- or compare him to Wynne Duffy --the dead-eyed Kilmeade would do the heavy lifting in communicating in persuasive and decidely non-verbal terms that you better like being bullied or else....

Admittedly, almost all I know of Fox News is based on The Daily Show and programmes like it, but these two fuckers and the likes of Hannity and Bill O'Weinstein are a stain on Ireland's contribution to the world.

Which Fox fuck do you hate the most?

I can honestly say I've never watched a second of Fox News. I tend to avoid anything that I know will make me angry.

Comment

Same.

My cardiologist has barred me from doing so (after having long ago done the same with regard to reading the Wall Street Journal's editorial page).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Same.

My cardiologist has barred me from doing so (after having long ago done the same with regard to reading the Wall Street Journal's editorial page).
        That’s me and Question Time. Would love a Holter monitor while watching Dimblefuck. Probably get me signed off on the sick for about six months.

Comment

I think most of us know. You don't need to vomit to understand that stomach flu's unpleasant.

Comment

Well OK, to each his own. Personally I'd rather exfoliate my underarms with a rusty razor blade.

Comment

Sure I understand why certain people would want to do so, Poli-Sci researchers, media students etc. But, y'know, given that I'm in the last quarter in the game of life, the thought of spending any of it watching Fox News just seems a colossal, and irretrievable, waste of time.

Comment

The narrative that Fox follows has been around since Goldwater in 1964. Southern strategy with a few tweaks. How they choose to dress that pig in 2017 is of no interest.

Comment

One possible point of interest for an academic is that some of the Fox pundits seem to be True Believers whereas others, like O'Reilly, are cynics who see the believers as convenient tools for furthering a program of deliberate deceit, but again the far right has always contained that mix. I wouldn't want to waste any time studying it personally, but it could be an interesting essay topics for a class.

Comment

What Amor said.

As to true believers, I think that there is a real question as to what exactly they believe in other than “triggering libs”, unfettered access to firearms and control of women’sreproductive choice.

Most everything else seems negotiable. For example, white nationalism has displaced a lot of the former worship of “free markets”

Comment

Well, we do have Trevor Noah, John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Steven Colbert etc to do the Fox News viewing for us. And they do a great job of exposing their lies and hypocrisies.

If I had access to the Fox News, I'd not wish to expose myself to it, for reasons stated by others above.

Comment

Bill O'Reilly is appearing live with Dennis Miller in Las Vegas, soonish. (Dennis Miller is/was a comedian.)

Comment

So, which one's your "favourite" bully of that lot then?

Comment

Hannity spent all of six seconds on last night's election results

Comment

The problem with watching Fox, or even doing the more moderate local equivalent wherever you are (for me it's Auckland-based talk radio) is that you get sucked into the "At least ... " line. As in, "George H. W. Bush may have done all kinds of bad things (Atwater/Horton, you all can write a long list) but at least he voted for Clinton, hates Trump, etc." Which is really what Bruno's "dissenting voices" are about. And I don't want to nod along with a Not-Trump talking head, any more than I want to cheer a Hollywood "liberal" who is so totally against Trump, hooray, what great guys, but actually ... are often just self-absorbed shits.

The radio equivalent for me has these "panels" (I expect most of us have the same) and along with the political duelling between ultra-right idiot and nice conservative, they have to talk about sport and lighter stuff too, and it's all supposed to normalise the people and their agendas, and soon you're agreeing with Nice Conservative about muzak in cafes or whatever, in just the same way as you make chit-chat with colleagues because it's better if we all get along. And I feel myself becoming more conciliatory, jelly oozing from spine.

Well, I do have to get along with colleagues and neighbours, but I don't have to do the same with media choices, so ... off.

Comment

No, I didn't read it as that.

(... off meant I switch off, sorry should have been clearer there)

Comment

O'Reilly used to be my most hated Fox personality, possibly simply because I had more direct exposure to him than Hannity, who I mostly see in quote form rather than video. The Fox & Friends people are awful, but they're too stupid to be really hateable. Laura Ingraham is the worst non-Hannity.

Comment

Krauthammer must be the ugliest person on TV. He looks like the henchman of a Bond villain who can be killed only by driving a stale through his heart.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                      The radio equivalent for me has these "panels" (I expect most of us have the same) and along with the political duelling between ultra-right idiot and nice conservative, they have to talk about sport and lighter stuff too, and it's all supposed to normalise the people and their agendas, and soon you're agreeing with Nice Conservative about muzak in cafes or whatever, in just the same way as you make chit-chat with colleagues because it's better if we all get along.
                                      Yes. I might be persuaded otherwise, but until then I see Fox News as a larger, uglier version of local open mouth radio phone-in shows that have flourished across North America since the late 60s (at least). Aside from scale, and the TV news-channel framework, the content, intent, and — especially — the audience is identical. What puzzles me is why this audience is profoundly and consistently right-wing? I'd guess that there's a certain type of personality who gets out of bed every morning prepared to be outraged, and even looking forward to it. What I don't understand is why they're all extreme conservatives? Or maybe the proper question is: if they're not, where are all the angry lefties going? Because clearly this type of format doesn't work for them.

Comment

Boris Johnson is on Fox and Friends tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X