Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive win by Benoot

Comment

Glad I managed to avoid the result, what a great race once again. Benoot's attack, bridge, attack was simply stunning and shows the power this guy has. Monument contender. And yes, a big chapeau to Wout Van Aert: the CX world champ finishes five places ahead of the road world champ. Time to make the switch full-time, please, Wout.

Comment

An absolutely stunning display in the Madison at the Track Worlds from Katie Archibald and last minute replacement (with Elinor Barker injured) Emily Nelson to give them the rainbow jerseys.

It’s worth seeking out the full race if you have time on your hands. Excellent that the event will be back in the Olympics (for the first time for women) in Tokyo.

It’s been a good Worlds so far, from what I’ve seen.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-03-2018, 11:49.

Comment

Cheers Ray, I saw the women's omnium the other day, Kirsten Wild was unstoppable.

Comment

Haven't seen any of it since the opening night but sounds like a generally positive Worlds for Britain. Archibald is clearly in good form, she was strong in the scratch race but missed a medal as she showed her hand too readily. Jack Carlin appears to have finally solved the problem of who to lead off in the team sprint and getting a silver in the individual event marks a bit of a breakthrough.

Comment

Yeah, Carlin looks a real find. The Mens Team Pursuit Gold is probably the other really notable result of the Championships for GB so far - Ed Clancy and three Worlds debutants in the discipline (Emadi was a sprinter until last year, Hayter is 19 and Tanfield is an amateur who has only just deferred his degree course) getting GB’s first rainbow jersey in the event since 2012.

Kate Archibald is just an amazing rider, there is nobody more resilient, gritty and focussed than her out there - even Laura Kenny/Trott which I never thought I’d say.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-03-2018, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                Cheers Ray, I saw the women's omnium the other day, Kirsten Wild was unstoppable.
                She usually is. The one thing I can’t work out about her is that her physique is so different from all the other elite pursuit riders, she is bigger than them in every way and usually dwarfs anyone else on the podium.

I noticed it with her compatriot and 2016 Olympic Keirin Champion Ellis Ligtlee, though it’s less pronounced with her because she’s a sprinter. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or if the Dutch women’s squad have a different approach to initial selection and training. I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference with their men and their opponents.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-03-2018, 12:14.

Comment

Saw Wild winning the Tour de Yorkshire in Donny the other year and, yeah, she is a big unit. She's looking good for another gold in the points race at the moment.

Comment

Yeah, clinched her third gold and is the dominant individual for the whole championships this year.

Comment

I’m not always gripped by the Kilo but the one just now was fantastic, a really tense watch as it reached it’s climax.

Comment

Hoogland literally could not walk or stand immediately after winning. His legs were massive bags of jelly.

Thankfully he recovered for the medal presentation.

Comment

I was actually quite worried about him for a while. Boardman described the effort visible on the riders’ faces as they started as like “weightlifting on a bike”.

Comment

Wow

Going for her 12th total gold, which would have broken Meares’ all time record, Kristina Vogel finishes last in the Keirin

Comment

The whole field were waiting for her attack which never really came, the winner Degrendele looked in shock at the end. The Keirin is always brilliantly unpredictable but I couldn’t see an incident in there that might have stymied Vogel, just left it too late or didn’t quite have the legs.

Comment

Quite

I originally thought that the Dutch were double teaming her to keep her from getting into her stride, but they ended up 4th and 5th. She was just never in it, which was especially surprising after she won her semi-final easily.

200 laps are too many for me, so I've gone over to Paris-Nice

Comment

Tejay out of Paris-Nice after crashing. That's a very Tejay van Garderen thing to happen.

Comment

The Freddy Adu of US cycling

Comment

Mexico have switched to a red cycling kit, though it is pretty lush :

That is a photo from a World Cup event earlier in the season (as I couldn’t find a more recent one) which possibly allows has a few more sponsors logos than the World Championships as I think the one I saw today was “cleaner”.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

200 laps are too many for me, so I've gone over to Paris-Nice
                                        Didn’t realise it was on so I kept watching the bikes go round and round, a really high quality field in the Men’s Madison and all very tight and enjoyable.

Comment

I see Bouhanni has responded well to the management changes at Cofidis.

Comment

Terrific four up blanket finish, think Izagirre got that.

Comment

Ah, they've given it Demare. Lot of riders have lost time behind a crash that just kept on going with 2k left - no 3k rule in operation today with the hill finish.

Comment

https://twitter.com/timessport/status/970451072404918274?s=21

Comment

Published at midnight:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e_iOSApp_Other

Comment

Wowsers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X