No announcement yet.

Lappartient's is a virtue? Pro Cycling 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernal signs the previously rumoured five year contract with Sky.

Gaviria is reportedly on his way to Team UAE

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
      TdY host towns are:

Barnsley
      Bedale
      Bridlington
      Doncaster
      Halifax
      Leeds
      Scarborough
      Selby

The race has also been upgraded to HC category status. Not sure about this - if it means some British pro teams won't get an invite (if we have any left, that is)
      Another year passes without it visiting northern Lincolnshire despite part of the budget to host using regional funding.

Comment

Now we're into year five for the race I like how that it is increasingly clear which municipalities do and don't want the Tour de Yorkshire. Scarborough has had a visit on all editions while Bridlington, Donny and Leeds are all onto their third appearance. Meanwhile Bradford and York have had it once apiece, Sheffield's only inclusion was at a shopping development at the very north of the city whereas Hull and Huddersfield haven't had it at all. Assuming they're keeping the women's race on Thursday and Friday would hazard a guess at the route being:

1. Bridlington (or Selby) - Scarborough
        2. Halifax - Bedale inc Worlds circuit
        3. Selby (or Bridlington) - Donny
        4. Barnsley - Leeds

In terms of the British teams JLT-Condor and ONE are both stopping, it's rumoured Holdsworth are as well and the future of Team WIGGINS is unclear, so that's potentially only three teams for inclusion plus the national team. Doesn't HC status mean that maximum 50% of the teams are World Tour?

Unsurprised this week by Aqua Blue not paying their riders wages for September because they're attempting to draw down the bank deposit with the UCI which covers three months worth of wages. I can see they're trying to pull a fast one here.

Comment

Per Wiki, it is 70 percent for HC; 50 percent for .1

Comment

Uttrup Ludwig goes a bit too early on the final climb to San Luca in the Women's Giro dell'Emilia and is caught in the last 200 metres by Lithuanian champion Leleivytė.

Comment

Longeared,

Do we know who footed the TdY bill for Fox Valley? I understand that the council usually backs the bid financially, but this could also come from other sources?

There does seem to be a pattern emerging regarding local authority interest in cycling; whilst Huddersfield is happy for races to pass through, Kirklees Council isn't interested in hosting a start/finish (which is why neither Hudds nor Dewsbury has bid). East Riding will back the event (Brid, Beverley) but City of Hull won't. York got their fingers burnt financially with TdF and the first edition of TdY and aren't keen at the mo - hence Gary Verity's disappointment at their reluctance to get involved with the 2019 WC.

Comment

I've heard that it was funded privately, which is why the finish was billed as "Fox Valley Sheffield". East Riding Council has an arrangement with the organisers to hold a stage start and finish every year incidentally.

One of my favourite races of the year this afternoon, Paris-Tours. They've introduced some gravel sections in the closing stages, kind of expect this is a dummy run for putting it in the big race. Probably the last race I'll watch this season too, if it could avoid clashing with the Arc I'd be delighted.

Comment

Chavenel in the break for his final race as a pro.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...olen?CMP=fb_gu

Wonder if the thief rode off on a bike?

Comment

Just criminal from Gaudu here (Pinot took off and won, Lopez got up to finish second, Valverde completed the podium)

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1050032517703720960

Comment

For those who may be interested, I saw two new cycling books at my library. One sorta short history of the Giro, one about Fignon v LeMond for the 89(?) Tour de France.

Comment

Roglic attacking on Sormano. Beautiful day, if a bit hot.

Comment

Pinot attacks Nibali on the Civiglio and has about 20 seconds

Comment

Chapeau Thibaut. Brilliant ride.

Nibali second, Teuns third

Comment

https://twitter.com/DansLaMusette/status/1051118981518712832

Comment

Must not have watched Bardet today

Comment

Just looking at the results in full, I see Fabio Aru's attempt to save his season turned out well. He's down to do that race in China this week, presume the team are sending him as punishment.

Comment

GB announce their squads for the Track World Cup events over the next two weekends :

Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, France

Steven Burke

Ed Clancy

Kian Emadi

Mark Stewart

Ollie Wood

Meg Barker

Neah Evans

Emily Kay

Becky Raybould

Lauren Bate

Katy Marchant

Ryan Owens

Jack Carlin

Joe Truman

Milton, Canada

Steve Burke

Ed Clancy

Kian Emadi

Mark Stewart

Ollie Wood

Katie Archibald

Elinor Barker

Ellie Dickinson

Laura Kenny

Katy Marchant

Phil Hindes

Jason Kenny

Ryan Owens

I presume there will be some level of BBC coverage but can't find any info on it.

Comment

There's still some uncertainties about the British Pro Cycling scene, but @DennyCyclist on Twitter reckons:

Confirmed: Madison Genesis, Canyon Eisberg, Vitus Pro Cycling, Ribble Pro Cycling (applying for UCI Continental licence for 2019).

Uncertain: WIGGINS, Holdsworth + unnamed new team, possibly sponsored by a major British cycling brand.

Disbanded: JLT-Condor, One Pro Cycling

Four British UCI Conti/ Pro-Conti teams would be the lowest number since 2009. Also 95 British riders with contracts for 2018 UCI-registered teams are (publicly) still without a contract for 2019.

Comment

I *think* the Beeb are only going to show the London leg in December with the others on ES, but I'm just going on Wiki and can't find any confirmation either.

Comment

Yeah, I was sure the BBC would make a big thing of the London leg but it seems strange to not show the whole series for context, even if the rest of it is on the red button/website.

That said, I didn't realise there were six legs to the World Cup this season not the three I'm used to - they appear to have added one a season since 2015/16 and I hadn't noticed.

Is this weekend definitely on Eurosport then?
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-10-2018, 12:51.

Comment

Yes, definitely on Eurosport - there was a promo for their coverage during the snooker yesterday afternoon.

Thought the number of rounds in the World Cup varies based on the fact that the UCI sometimes struggles to find host venues and essentially anywhere that wants to stage a round gets one.
                                              Last edited by longeared; 18-10-2018, 19:46.

Comment

Is British Eurosport showing the whole WC event this weekend? Finnish ES doesn't have it, meaning I have to watch the UCI feed on Facebook/YouTube, but they only broadcast Sunday's racing.

Comment

There's certainly live sessions every day on the UK channel, yes.

Comment

I see Sky have signed Filippo Ganna. Would it be overly cynical of me to wonder if they've done that to try to nobble his chances on the track in Tokyo?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X