Lappartient's is a virtue? Pro Cycling 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orica Scott are now Mitchelton Scott and look like Lotto NL Jumbo

Mitchelton is the team owner's vineyard.

Katusha Alpecin have introduced light blue to their kit

Comment

Here's the new BMC kit which looks as if they've given Greg a size too small.

And from behind...

They're having a busy day as they've also announced their team for the Tour Down Under led by Porte, support includes Gerrans (who must surely be in his final season) and Dennis.

Comment

Petition (to not support Apartheid)
        https://www.change.org/p/starting-th...cott-of-israel

Letter
        https://bdsmovement.net/giro

Comment

Abnormal drugs test for Froome could see Vuelta stripped from him https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...rmal-drug-test

Comment

Well, well.

It's known that Froome suffers from asthma, remember that kerfuffle when he used his inhaler during a race once. The UCI release says it was September 7th when he returned the positive test, that was the day towards the end when Sander Armee won and Froome gained 21 seconds over Nibali at the end, after he'd lost 46 seconds the day before. On the face of it it does sound more cock up than conspiracy given that he would have been tested every day as race leader and didn't return any adverse findings before or after - someone has presumably fucked up massively.

But that doesn't matter, he's got a performance enhancing substance in his body, he's now guilty unless he can prove otherwise. Punishments for salbutamol seem to be inconsistent - Ulissi got nine months in 2014 for a slightly lower level, Petacchi 12 months for a lower level still in 2007. Initial gut reaction is he'll get about nine months, lose the Vuelta and then zero tolerance Sky will carry on as if nothing has happened and Brailsford will blab on about lessons being learned.

Comment

Fuckity fuck.

Comment

In a way I'm not surprised and always expected something would come out (even if a fuck up which this may be). Like with athletics, a piece of me loses interest each time this happens, but I naively cling on regardless.

Comment

Via toro, a strong analysis from The Inner Ring

Comment

Inner Ring motors away from the competition, as usual.

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                    In a way I'm not surprised and always expected something would come out (even if a fuck up which this may be). Like with athletics, a piece of me loses interest each time this happens, but I naively cling on regardless.
                    This is why I try not to get too attached to supporting individual riders and prefer to watch good racing instead. Got my fingers burnt again the other year what with Lizzie Deignan. Though one of my early thoughts when the news came through was "ooh, does that mean Nibali wins the Vuelta?"

Comment

Yeah, it's a real bummer when it's a rider you like, as in this case for me. And I didn't even like him four years ago. That is an excellent article, showing clearly that it is possible that an adverse result can come about from an allowed dosage, but that in no way means Froome is innocent, and he will have to show it can happen for him.

If there is a ban, then Nibali and Froome will switch places in the all time Grand Tour wins list as well (currently Froome 5, Nibbles 4).

Comment

So much for marginal gains then.

Comment

Three LottoNL-Jumbo riders expelled from the team for having unapproved medication.
                          http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/loba...training-camp/

This season is shaping up nicely.

Comment

Trek Segafredo's new kit for 2018. They also seem to have a fluorescent yellow version - maybe a training kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Three LottoNL-Jumbo riders expelled from the team for having unapproved medication.
                              http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/loba...training-camp/

This season is shaping up nicely.
                              Meet the new era, same as the old era.

The yellow Trek kit is indeed a training kit. Did wonder on first sight if they were going to be the first team to introduce a change kit. Here's Boels Dolmans.

Comment

Did wonder on first sight if they were going to be the first team to introduce a change kit.
                                Mercatone and Once both did pink at Tour/yellow at Giro back in the day- weren't those change kits?

Comment

Good call.

Here's Bahrain-Merida's 2018 kit.

Comment

Couple of headlines:

• Movistar and Landa are wondering whether to send all three big guns, i.e. him, Valverde and Quintana, to the Tour
                                    • Sky have come in for stick from Tony Martin and Bahrain-Merida, both of whom said the team should have suspended Froome straight after the AAF

Comment

Manx rider Jake Kelly has moved from WIGGINS to ONE Pro. If there still is a team WIGGINS, do we know...?
                                      http://oneprocycling.com/british-rid...cling-in-2018/

Comment

Team Wiggins new sponsor: Jiffy Bag?

Comment

Nibali in the background of that Bahrain-Merida jersey launch. He's seen....things.

FIGS - yes, good call, but we're talking about cycling on the interweb so pesky facts shouldn't be introduced.

Still haven't seen anything that confirms Team WIGGINS are continuing next season. Interestingly Pidcock (who they claimed to have signed) was at the Sky camp in Majorca this week.

Good piece by Philippa York on Froome in the Grauniad today.

Comment

Well, if I've learned anything from this farrago it is that, as I suspected, I don't really care about doping beneath industrial Festina/Armstrong levels, I don't give a single toss about abusing-the-spirit-if-not-the-letter-of-the-rules (it's professional sport!), and that I will never be able to take the anti-doping people seriously while they pretend recreational drugs are performance enhancing (e.g. Paolini).

As far as competition goes, travails for Sky are good news for the rest, so the kerfuffle is nice on that front. I hope Froome escapes a ban though, I'd like to see him at the Giro.

The Bahrain team doesn't seem to me in a position to moralise at anyone about anything. Regarding TLJ, I don't see how a sleep medication could enhance anyone's performance and it smells of them throwing their riders under the bus in a panicky attempt to demonstrate how straight they are.

I know that this subject can arouse strong feelings and I do hope no-one gets steam coming out of their ears at my indifference. Maybe it stems from not having got into the sport until my 40s, in full knowledge of its history, so I've no youthful illusions to be shattered.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                              Mercatone and Once both did pink at Tour/yellow at Giro back in the day- weren't those change kits?
                                              Indeed they were.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                                                Indeed they were.
                                                And Saeco when Cippo was there were favourable to a change kit and a fine...

Comment

Sharon Laws, former British National Time Trial and Road Race champion, has passed away just over a year after retiring and then being diagnosed with cervical cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                                    Over at Astana, Vinokourov wants to pursue damages from Aru for breaking contract 'because we were left without a top rider.' Let's hope Fuglsang and Lopez assume something has been lost in translation there (could he have meant, we are now down by one top rider?).
                                                    Sensible move is sensible. After his heroics in the Dauphiné last year, this year's TdF could be career-defining for Fuglsang.

https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/942767990239649792

Comment

Working...
                                                    X