No announcement yet.

Lappartient's is a virtue? Pro Cycling 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was just watching his post-race interview on RAI.

He still couldn't quite believe that he had done it and said the last few hundred metres were the most difficult he could remember.

Comment

Completes the career sweep of Italy's biggest races, too: Giro, MSR, Lombardia. The best all round palmares of this generation for me (with another Vuelta to come from Froome, perhaps... and then there was the 2012 Tour...?)

Comment

I'd love Nibbles to win the rainbow jersey. This year is probably his best chance, too.

Comment

At the end of the interview, the host said that he must feel good about his chances for de Ronde.

Nibali just laughed.

Comment

Cavendish broke a rib. I'm surprised that he got away so lightly from that crash

Comment

He's seriously lucky.

Simon Clarke cracked three vertebrae in a much more mundane collision.

Comment

Comment

Cavendish was fortunate to come away with relatively minor injuries in that crash. The organisers got away with it a bit too, if he'd been seriously injured there would have been questions about why no-one was signalling for the barrier. See also that car that got onto the course midway through.

Fine win for Nibs. Think he's got every chance of winning the rainbow jersey this year, the course suits him, he'll presumably target it specifically and he's been at the business end of the Worlds before and knows all about the arts and crafts of winning a one day race.

In other news the week long Volta a Catalunya starts tomorrow. Lots of climbers and Grand Tour riders doing this as usual. Cofidis meanwhile have sent Bouhanni despite the fact he wasn't fit to ride Sanremo yesterday. They've really fallen out.

Comment

How have the peleton reacted to Sky and Froome? I've read about how Armstrong treated those who went against him and I'm curious if there's a reverse going on now with everyone ganging up on Sky.

Cavendish is having an awful season so far with injuries, he's 32 and has time left but this isn't going to help him. I hope he's fit for Le Tour and a possible record haul of stage wins.

Comment

It’s always hard to tell from what is visible to the public, but it was notable how warmly other riders and fans reacted to Froome at Tirreno-Adriatico. That said, Italian cycling fans have always been more accepting of compromised riders than those elsewhere.

Comment

Wonderful win from Katarzyna Niewiadoma in the 1.WWT Trofeo Binda. She broke with around 10km to go and solo'd to victory in wet and windy conditions. We've had some great racing this weekend.

Comment

The way she can put the hammer down towards the end of these races is amazing, what a great rider.

Up and running in Catalunya - the weather has often played havoc with the broadcast in this race so I hope they've got better feeds these days.

Comment

Hodeg. Quick Step. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Surely "rinse and repeat" would be for Katusha Alpecin?

Comment

Perhaps if they won races . . .

Comment

Since it's there, and free, I'm watching the first cross country (XCO) mountain bike event of the year on Red Bull TV.
                                  https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1UWG...7-209c74e62add
                                  (Which took place the weekend before last.)

I thought the French women's champion looked familiar - it's none other than PFP. Didn't realise she did XCO as well as road and CX. Quite the all-rounder then.

Comment

Oh goody

UCI President David Lappartient has admitted that the complex nature of Chris Froome’s salbutamol case means a verdict is unlikely to be reached before the Giro d’Italia starts, meaning the Team Sky leader will almost certainly be in Israel for the start on May 4.

Comment

Summit finish in Catalunya eliminated due to avalanche risk

Rather than the three first category climbs, the Bracons, Port d'Oix and Rocabruna and the Vallter 2000 final ascent in a 199km stage, the new stage 3 will be much shorter at 153km. It will have just one first category climb mid-stage - the Bracons - and a second category, the Port de Collabos, 13 kilometres from the new finish in the town of Camprodon.

The new finish will also be 1,000 metres above sea level, rather than the 2,000 metres previously planned, making for a much easier stage. At the moment there are no plans to change stage 4, which has a summit finish in Alp-La Molina in the Pyrenees.

Comment

40 teams have been announced for the Tour de Yorkshire, an even split between the Men's and Women's races.

Astana, Euskadi Murias, Rally Cycling, Vital Concept and my new favs Holdsworth are all competing for the first time in the men's race. Still no place for Team WIGGINS, interestingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          Politt's (still) not got any pro wins to his name, but has consistently performed well in ITTs the last couple of years. Perhaps he's going to be the next Thomas De Gendt.
                                          Thomas De Gendt reminding us that he is still the reigning Thomas De Gendt.

Comment

Quintana's sole goal seemed to be to frustrate the chase group (particularly Yates and Pinot), which he did admirably, though De Gendt did take the overall lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                                              40 teams have been announced for the Tour de Yorkshire, an even split between the Men's and Women's races.

Astana, Euskadi Murias, Rally Cycling, Vital Concept and my new favs Holdsworth are all competing for the first time in the men's race. Still no place for Team WIGGINS, interestingly.
                                              The organisers have got a bit of a beef with WIGGINS. Some of it is with Sir Brad himself for when he collected an appearance fee a couple of years back and then got off midway through the first stage. Some of it is with the team's philosophy of trying to develop riders rather than animate the race which consequently means they don't ostensibly contribute a lot. Cavendish is apparently going to ride the race assuming he's fit.

Wish they'd get on and announce the stage timings mind, we're only six weeks from the event and I can't yet begin to plan what I might be able to achieve in terms of seeing the races.

Comment

Huge if true.
                                                https://twitter.com/cyclist/status/9...508857344?s=19
                                                https://twitter.com/cyclist/status/976930266508857344?s=19

Comment

Valverde showing the youngsters how it's done, then, but another creditable ride from Egan Bernal who sits second on GC. Hard racing took its toll yesterday for some more experienced riders though, with Formolo & Visconti 9 mins behind, and Chaves and Aru losing over 11 - though in the case of these latter two the team leaders appear to be Simon Yates and Dan Martin, so perhaps they are just looking for miles in the legs.

Selective stage today, but the finish comes after a descent and it's probably Valverde's to lose. (Or a breakaway; Cummings is well down on GC for example.)

Comment

Sagan is having a rough day in the E3 Harelbeke.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X