No announcement yet.

Manhattan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s gone beyond that today, calling for the abolition of the visa lottery and threatening to send the suspect to Guantanamo

Comment

Yeah, just caught that now.

Comment

A 16-year-old friend of mine went out to NYC (her first long-haul flight) for a week-long school trip only a couple of days ago. She was scheduled to be at the World Trade Center site yesterday to see the 9/11 memorial, then off to Times Square in the evening around about the time the attack took place. Haven't heard anything from her yet, it's silly to worry but you can't help but wonder how shaken up she and all her friends are, if nothing else. She's not a confident kid at the best of times, and this was basically her first ever day abroad on her own too. And now she'll be there with a group of mixed-ethnicity schoolmates for the next few days, all of them hearing the President announcing his latest measures to make life worse for anyone not white Anglo-Saxon Christian daring to try to enter the country.

Comment

Damn

I hope that they went to the Halloween Parade, or at least caught some clips on television.

This was on the other side of the "Ground Zero" grounds from the museum. She may well have not been aware of it until watching the news.

Comment

All the best to everyone in NY and their friends and families, plus of course VA's friend.

Comment

Cheers both. Have heard from her now via her mum, who's spoken to her – apparently they passed by the street where the attack took place about 15 minutes before it happened. Obviously a bit shaken but not too much the worse for it – I gather one of the other girls could be heard in the background describing the museum at Ground Zero as "[bleep] boring", which suggests she at least was none too traumatised, though I suspect they'll be on edge for the rest of the trip to some extent. They'd been buying costumes earlier in the day to wear at the Halloween Parade, and I think they did make it as planned – like you say ursus, it's quite plausible none of them were any the wiser about what had happened until some time after the fact.

Comment

He wants the death penalty for this guy. Hasn't made any recommendations regarding his preferred punishment for the Las Vegas shooter. Sounds about right.

Comment

VA - Glad that your friend is safe and not too traumatized. I had a similar experience in London once, when I decided to go back to my hotel rather than continue walking around in the Covent Garden area. When I got to the hotel room, I switched on the TV to see news reports about a nail bomb that had gone off in that same area that I had just left. It does make you think things like, what if my feet had not started hurting when they did?

Comment

Christ, I never knew that, FF.
                    Fucker that did it went to my school, if you're talking about the Admiral Duncan bomb.

Comment

Yes, that's the one. 9/11 wasn't my first close call.

Comment

The initial structural response to the attack seems flawed.

Comment

Hell's bells FF, that does sound like a narrow squeak. You evidently have some radar for these things. It's startling how such a random thing as, say, sore feet on any given afternoon could alter your destiny so dramatically.

Comment

Jesus.

I'm entirely sure that no traffic planner anywhere outside the Netherlands has ever ridden a bicycle in a big city on a regular basis.

Those giant orange bollards (or pylons, as they seem to be called here) are a menace. They're filled with water or sand and are completely immovable, as a friend discovered a few months back thanks to one jumping out at him while he was on a downhill stretch at about 30mph, resulting in a couple of fractured vertebrae and a trashed bike. The bollard was unharmed.

Comment

Haha. I love the cyclists' responses after that article. The city has tried to cobble together some kind of meaningful protective barrier* in three days - and surprisingly it's not perfect, so cyclists are incensed.

*which will, in the end, do absolutely nothing to prevent this sort of thing happening again.

Comment

VA, I think it's just dumb luck. Too bad it doesn't also work with the lottery.

Comment

That's a pretty hardcore cycle lane. I haven't seen them that wide in the Netherlands.

Comment

So, we've had a pipe bomb go off near the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is a block west of Times Square.

One injured and a suspect in custody.

The authorities are saying that the bomb went off prematurely.

Comment

Fucking asshole terrorist wannabe. Glad he didn't manage to seriously injure anyone. Too bad he survived.

Comment

Working...
                                      X