Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, will Ukraine gets its stadiums ready in time? If not, where will they switch it to? What do you reckon? (It's never too early to start getting excited about a major tournament.)

Silent Bob and I have been kicking that question around for a while in various places.

Our latest exchange is here (on the Futbol Espanol thread, where else?)

My concern is more over transport infrastructure than the stadia, but a lot will depend on the outcome of the current governmental crisis in Ukraine.

Comment

well it's been widely reported here that stadium in Dnepropetrovsk (Yanukovytch, russian-speaking land) has just been finished. so all the titles in the papers say: Ukraine 1 Poland 0.

agree totally with Ursus, like always: a lot will depend on current political events in Ukraine. btw: did you know that Yulia Timshenko's plait is fake? i didn't.

also a lot would depend on what big brother from the east is going to do. logically Ukraine (or its eastern part at least) is next on the menu after Georgia.

Comment

It's harder to poison fake hair . . .

Comment

Collapse of UKR government now official.

Comment

Decision time in Bordeaux tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday as Uefa executive committee meets. Platini sounded dubious to the FT's Simon Kuper at the weekend about Ukraine remaining hosts.

Comment

yeah, but put a couple of drinks in him and it's anyone's guess what he'll propose...

Comment

The leaks leading into the meeting have leaned both ways, which makes me wonder whether they won't try to fudge it for another few months.

The problem has always been the absence of an obvious alternative, particularly if Poland is not to be punished for Ukraine's "issues" (which I would assume to be line that Platini would want to take, given his support from Central Europe).

Comment

Well, they've agreed to expand the Euros to 24 teams as of 2016, but no word on Ukraine/Poland, notwithstanding Surkis' pleas for "confirmation" that they will host the 2012 edition.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                    The problem has always been the absence of an obvious alternative, particularly if Poland is not to be punished for Ukraine's "issues" (which I would assume to be line that Platini would want to take, given his support from Central Europe)
                    Keep Poland as co-host with Germany stepping in to help?

Comment

With Germany based in "Breslau", right?

Comment

Arf. Or 'Elf', for you old timers?

Comment

So, they've been confirmed, but warned that significant progress needs to be made on infrastructure.

Basically kicking the can down the road a bit.

Comment

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...urope&cc=4716]

first steps are always the hardest.

Comment

I would welcome a Poland/Germany co-hosting arrangement on a single condition.

All of the German cities and stadia would have to use exclusively Polish names for the entirety of the competition.

And if Poland isn't in the euro yet, they have to take Zloty.

Comment

just recently i made a drunk bet that we'd pay in euro come 2012.

and for the first part: seen a documentary about Jakub Blaszczykowski (who has only Kuba on the back of his BVB shirt) progress in Dortmund recently. conclusion: it would be way too harsh on germans to use polish.

Comment

More importantly, how the hell do you pronounce 'Grzegorz'?

Comment

JEG-orzh. obviously.

as alderman barnes' polish father-in-law will tell you, polish is the most phonetically-spelled language in the world.

Comment

My grandfather used to say exactly the same thing.

Comment

A useful update from Jonathan Wilson (who else?)

"The stadium in Dnipropetrovsk should be ready within months, but the infrastructure problems there are even more acute. The trade centre that was blocking development of the Olympyskyi in Kyiv has now been demolished, but building work in the capital is estimated to be a year behind schedule. In Lviv, a second construction company has withdrawn from the stadium project, saying the budget is unrealistic. Atamanenko speaks of the hosting process as being "a team game", but Blizhnyuk admitted to being "anxious about the rest of Ukraine."

There are huge problems in Poland as well, with the most recent Uefa inspection (which grades venues from white - no problems, through green, yellow, and orange to red - danger) listing Krakow as the most advanced project, with a green-yellow rating. Given that Krakow wasn't even one of the four cities originally selected to host games - they were Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw and Chorzow - it gives some indication of how chaotic preparations are."

Comment

All these arguments against Poland and the Ukraine are very nice, but when I think of Brazil 2014, they're peanuts.

The don't even have a website. All they have is computer graphics.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein wrote:
                                            All these arguments against Poland and the Ukraine are very nice, but when I think of Brazil 2014, they're peanuts.

The don't even have a website. All they have is computer graphics.
                                            the way the game is going...what more do you need?

Comment

my flatmate tells me that the poles are opening talks with the germans because the Ukrainians are too unstable currently. They want to have some games in berlin and another eastern city.

Comment

Wouldn't this have made the news if it were true?

Comment

It did make the news in Germany. Berlin, Leipzig and a third city (Dresden or Hamburg) plus five Polish cities are supposed to what Polish FA have in mind.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X