Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loads of true things don`t become news and loads of garbage do become.
    but that`s another story.

don`t believe those kind of news at all. can make a bet that EURO 2012 will be held in Poland/Ukraine with anyone who wants. one condition: bet stands only if Ukraine`s territory remains intact.

Comment

bob

I seriously hope Ukraine and Poland will get it done. Preparing for a major tournament when you are the official host is great. But as a stand-in, when you can't loudly look forward to it because it would sound like schadenfreude is not great at all.

Comment

i know what you mean Kurt/Abedi/Macocha/etc.
        but that`s not that i'm nervous hearing stuff like that. i'm tired with people believing such stories.
        know from reliable sources (no, not from monsieur Platini himself) moving this actual tournament is highly improbable.

i'm fully aware that we won`t reach the level set by Germany in 2006 but personally i was far from impressed by what i saw in Austria last year. i mean atmosphere, infrastructure, roads, facilties etc.

can`t talk about Ukraine but i`m pretty sure that everyone who will visit Poland will leave happy. we gonna have stadiums, modernized roads (not highways everywhere but so-called express ways), rough accomodation good food, cheap beer etc

talking of which: hope to have couple of pints with anyone visiting this site in Gdansk in 2012.

Comment

I was at a meeting at UEFA t'other day and saw a brief presentation about the tournament. For the first time UEFA will pick the cities, not the organising committee; there's a shortlist of 12 which will be whittled down to 8, 4 in each; only Warsaw and Kiev are guaranteed.

As they ran through them, it was pretty shocking. There were some lovely cities with awful stadiums, there were some horrible cities with lovely stadia, there were some OK cities with good stadia but no hotels / no transport to speak of in numbers required.

Comment

was the collapse of ukraine's government finances mentioned as a possible party pooper?

Comment

It wasn't, but I think there's a fucking awful problem here for them. Not only have Ukraine not got the cash, it's unlikely to get it when there's no longstanding need for the infrastructure required. It could have the financial good-sense of Montreal with all the enjoyability of Atlanta with the accessibility of Tashkent.

But there's also a question here about how sustainable such tournaments are in an era of rising fuel costs and diminished consumer spending; there's been a swathe of tournament which have benefitted massively from the last 15 years' boom and the inflation of tournaments seems to be predicated on that 'more of the same' which is actually highly questionable.

Comment

Interesting update from Jonathan Wilson.

Final list of host cities to be announced next week.

Comment

Well, only four cities were announced - all in Poland, and they are Warsaw, Gdansk, Poznan and Wroclaw. The current national stadium in Chorzow doesn't host a game, neither does Krakow.

As for the Ukranian venues, the final was due to be announced in Kyiv, and Donetsk, Kharkiv and Lviv were expected to be announced as well, but the stadia were not ready. UEFA were persuaded to extend the deadline (to 30 November) but the Ukrainians have been told that if all grounds are not ready, they are prepared to go to a 6-2 situation, with Chorzow and Krakow being reinstated, and only Kyiv and the most ready of the other three stadia being given the nod. In that situation, Warsaw would hold the final, instead of Kyiv.

Comment

is it time now to start a thread about my sofa?

Comment

Good idea. Any local beer that could compete with Jelen in Gdansk/Danzig?

Comment

there used to be local beer called "Gdanskie" (meaning Danzig beer with the lions and everything). now the Gdansk brewery has been closed for years. in fact all polish beer companies have been bought by Heineken, Carlsberg etc. capitalism eh? but will find something decent don't worry. all of you are more than welcome for couple of pints by the Baltic. and thinking of it just got a new sofa, which is big and orange. hope that Deutschland fans don't mind sititing on it...

Comment

Any recent updates on the Ukraine stadium situation?

Comment

Working...
                          X