Sexual Harassment at Westminster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexual Harassment at Westminster

Cabinet Office to investigate after minister admits asking assistant to buy sex toys

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y_to_clipboard

He's the first of three apparently.

There's also the crass joke of Gove about the alleged rapist.

"He took me to Soho and gave me the money to buy two vibrators. He stood outside the shop while I did."
    That's the damning character evidence, right there. You'd hope she bought the worst and cheapest, and pocketed the change.

Comment

Garnier claims that calling his employee Sugar Tits is not harassment.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        Garnier claims that calling his employee Sugar Tits is not harassment.
        Says it was from Gavin and Stacey so therefore ok.

Comment

Radio 5 Live's George Riley suspended after sexual harassment complaints

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...y_to_clipboard

I hope that this snowballs and some of those we've known or suspected of this are named, shamed and dumped.

Comment

Oh crap, I like George Riley. Oh well, screw him.

Comment

My guess, as it happens, is that there is even more sexual harassment at Westminster than anywhere else. Absolute power, and all that.

Comment

I think that's right. I read a piece yesterday that because researchers and other staff are essentially directly hired by and accountable to the different MPs there's no HR. The only person you could report being harassed to is likely to be the person harassing you

Comment

Don’t they get processed by HoC payroll? If so then surely HR in the Commons would have some duty of care. Especially if badness is happening on their premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Don’t they get processed by HoC payroll? If so then surely HR in the Commons would have some duty of care. Especially if badness is happening on their premises.
                    What if they are unpaid interns? I'm wondering if they are even on the HR radar.

Comment

This may take a bit of an unexpected twist, because a lot of parliamentary assistants in Westminster are handsome young men who can't find the right girl to settle down with, and won't find her until it becomes time to impress a constituency selection committee.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                        Oh crap, I like George Riley. Oh well, screw him.
                        Ah, no. I liked him too.

Comment

MPs have been indulged for decades in the nonsense that they

a) get elected on individual merit rather than as a badge holder (only one of 650 at present is non-party independent)

b) are self-employed and not subject to workplace discipline

Garnier is a bit of a knob even without his dildo habit

Comment

Count me down as another disappointed ex-fan of George Riley.

Comment

What the fuck being gay has to do with this story I've no idea, berba.

Comment

A twist in the Riley story is that is being used to deflect a larger story about gender inequality at the Beeb and British institutions generally: pay gaps, glass ceilings etc. Hence Mishal Husain's anger at the Sunday Times:

https://twitter.com/MishalHusainBBC/...56850095378432

Comment

so far this story has been about powerful men taking advantage of young women. This could be where the story expands to include powerful men who take advantage of young men.

Comment

The whips used to use their knowledge of MP's behaviour to blackmail them to stay loyal -they still do

Diane Abbott has described how Women MP's have been treated in the House of Commons for the last 30 years

The Sunday Times story says that Theresa May got weekly updates about what her MP's had been up to. Which kind of makes her complicit.

Comment

Thatcher had the same as well.

Comment

Christ above. Imagine what those reports contain. Being a Tory MP is really strong start on the way to being a full blown sociopath.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                          Thatcher had the same as well.
                                          I would assume all party leaders get updates of potentially troublesome MPs and what they have been up to.

However there is a difference between a report on a married MP who is playing away from home and one who is involved in illegal serial behaviour.
                                          I seriously doubt the whips would formally tell the PM of the latter.

Comment

No mention of George on Radio 5 Breakfast this morning. Delyth did the sport.

Comment

Patrick- both Rachel B and Nicky Jambo read a prepared statement explaining that George Riley had been suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

so far this story has been about powerful men taking advantage of young women. This could be where the story expands to include powerful men who take advantage of young men.
                                                Not Westminster (yet), but... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41799026

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                  Patrick- both Rachel B and Nicky Jambo read a prepared statement explaining that George Riley had been suspended.
                                                  Ah alright. Didn't hear that. Heard the news story about Westminster.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X