What's Going On Standard Mix Vs Original Detroit Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Going On Standard Mix Vs Original Detroit Mix

I bought the "Deluxe" edition of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin On" a few years ago, and have only ever listened to the standard album, which takes up the first nine tracks on Disc One.

Tonight I've finally got round to listening to the "Original Detroit Mix (April 5 1971) on the rest of the first disc.

It sounds quite a bit different, but I couldn't articulate how. Does anyone here have any.opinions on how these two.mixes sound different, and which is better?

Detroit is quite 'dry' whereas the official (LA) mix gives it that shimmering, quasi-religious feel. 'Better' is an entirely personal choice, like how much milk you like in your coffee. The official mix was what Marvin wanted putting out so it reflects his true wishes.

The book by Ben Edmonds is about as definitive as you can get for this album.

Comment

Thanks Satchmo. Have not heard of that book. Looks interesting.

Comment

Just ordered a cheap copy from Amazon marketplace!

Comment

I got this deluxe version for A$6 (peanuts) in a second hand shop. I've also tended to focus on the main album but next time I have the opportunity I'll check this. Isn't there a third, live version too?

Comment

The 2001 deluxe Disc 2 is live at the Kennedy Centre 1.5.72

Comment

Altogether on my copy there are six versions:

* The best known which kicks off the album, with all the ultra cool chat at the start:
              * What I assume is the "Detroit Mix", also opening track of what is pretty much an "alternative" of the whole album;
              * Live version;
              * Live "Reprise" version;
              * Original single version;
              * Super cool, bass-heavy instrumental.

They're all great, but the first is best.

Comment

Working...
              X