Mispronunciations in Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
    I can't speak Spanish. When Wall Of Voodoo sing about wishing they were in Tee-hoo-ana, eating barbecued iguana, is that a mispronunciation or not?
    I think that was just Mr Ridgway and his pals being playful. However, I really like Wall Of Voodoo, so I might be cutting them way too much slack here.

Another: Noddy Holder spoke of a 'burg-u-lar alarm' in largely-forgotten 1975 Top Tenner Thanks For the Memory. This made my Slade-obsessed cousin and I laugh heartily at the time.

Comment

I've never heard anyone pronounce the words "gave" or "save" the way George Michael pronounces them in Last Christmas.

Comment

Ooh, great call AH – he distinctly sings "gev", doesn't he? I remember first hearing it when I was about 8 and being mildly transfixed by the odd enunciation right from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
          Aargh, this has inexorably reminded me of the Vengaboys' execrable (even by their standards) We're Going To Ibiza – or, as it was sung: "Whoa! We're going to Ee-beetz-ah".
          You just had to share the joy, didn't you?

Comment

There's a song from 1980 or so where Reagan is pronounced Reegan buy I can't recall it.

Ian Dury's Spasticus Autisticus always sounded like Artisticus to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              There's a song from 1980 or so where Reagan is pronounced Reegan buy I can't recall it.
              Oh, the sweet, sweet recollection...

Don't wanna rule like President 'Reegan'/Or kick a ball like Kevin Keegan

Brown Sauce (aka the Swap Shop mob), I Wanna Be A Winner, 1981

Comment

It's in Heaven 17 - (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (1981):

Democrats are out of power
                Across that great wide ocean
                Reagan's president elect
                Fascist god in motion
                Generals tell him what to do
                Stop your good time dancing
                Train their guns on me and you
                Fascist thang advancing

at about 1:49 in this video: https://youtu.be/a20pAUy1Mes?t=109
                Last edited by gjt; 30-10-2017, 21:44. Reason: wrong title, innit

Comment

"I can't pronounce Baccaruda"

Comment

The Undertones rhyme cabbage with Challenge in My Perfect Cousin and Feargal Sharkey seems to mangle the pronunciations to make them fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                      You just had to share the joy, didn't you?
                      I can only apologise Wouter, but I just couldn't go through that on my own.

Comment

's okay.

I guess it depends on your opinion of the cockney accent, but I'll nominate the first two verses and choruses of the Small Faces' Lazy Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                          "I can't pronounce Baccaruda"
                          babararacucudada

Comment

A deliberate example: Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle's purposeful mangling of German pronunciations in 1986's I Wish I Could Sprachen Sie Deutsch ('wiedersehen' being one instance)...

Comment

The American pronunciation of mirror as "mere" as for example in Dylan's "Visions of Johanna" always grates with me. Also Carly Simon's Appreecot in "You're So vain".

And I'm surprised no one's mentioned Succumb-er to the beat surrender yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                The Undertones rhyme cabbage with Challenge in My Perfect Cousin and Feargal Sharkey seems to mangle the pronunciations to make them fit.
                                Which reminds me of Billy Bragg's "I loved the words you wrote to me, but that was bloody yesterday"

Or rather, yesterdee.

Comment

Clare Grogan mangles the word 'holiday' in similar fashion on Altered Images' I Could Be Happy, as does Boring Bob Grover on The Piranhas' version of Tom Hark.

On a similar ticket, you should hear Ian Page's massacring of the fairly simple word 'today' (ie, 'tood-eye') in Secret Affair's flop single Do You Know?. Or rather you shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    A deliberate example: Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle's purposeful mangling of German pronunciations in 1986's I Wish I Could Sprachen Sie Deutsch ('wiedersehen' being one instance)...
                                    With apologies for it being particularly irritating potential earworm material another is Bill Wyman's, "Je suis un rock star"

Daevid Allen meanwhile (or possibly someone else) on Planet Gong's Floating Anarchy gives us "floating free anarsheee" at the end of the spoken bit in the middle.
                                    Last edited by Artificial Hipster; 01-11-2017, 21:02.

Comment

Morrissey again: mispronounces "provincial" in Panic.

Comment

Working...
                                      X