No announcement yet.

Superfluous characters in good comedies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Percy /Lord Percy in the first two Blackadder series was a fairly superfluous character, they already had one dopey sidekick with Baldrick, when they brought in Prince George /lieutenant George they were better written and funnier characters in their own right
    I saw the reason to bring Raquel and Cassandra into Only fools and horses, Del and Rodney were getting older and it was natural they would settle down but the two characters quickly became annoying nags, particularly Cassandra whose entire purpose seemed to be to complain to Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      Another possible controversial one here: Roz in Frasier. I liked her but she wasn't integral.
      Frasier on Channel 4 of a morning has been appointment TV for me while I've been out of work. I've developed the hugest of crushes on Roz.

Comment

Roz falls into the category (for me) of 'women with so little sex appeal they might as well be men'. Another is Kimberly Wexler off Better Call Saul.

Comment

Ringo in "Never The Twain".

Actually, no, he's integral to the whole thing. His bumbling, dense persona is the perfect foil to Mrs Sadler's waspish, opinionated character.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
            Percy /Lord Percy in the first two Blackadder series was a fairly superfluous character, they already had one dopey sidekick with Baldrick, when they brought in Prince George /lieutenant George they were better written and funnier characters in their own right
            I saw the reason to bring Raquel and Cassandra into Only fools and horses, Del and Rodney were getting older and it was natural they would settle down but the two characters quickly became annoying nags, particularly Cassandra whose entire purpose seemed to be to complain to Rodney
            I thought Percy played a really valuable role in Blackadder 2. His attempts to ingratiate himself with Blackadder and Blackadder's ridiculing of him provided lots of comedy!

Comment

Richie Cunningham's older brother Chuck in Happy Days famously popped upstairs and was never seen again.

Comment

Much as I love Brooklyn Nine Nine, Gina could be classed as superfluous.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  Roz falls into the category (for me) of 'women with so little sex appeal they might as well be men'. Another is Kimberly Wexler off Better Call Saul.
                  What?

I, like Giggler, have always had a massive crush on Roz, for me she was the very definition of sex appeal.

Comment

I read the Red Dwarf books in my early teens, but Cat was a far better character on the page than on the screen.

The chapter which describes the evolution of Cats, the subsequent t war and cat armegeddon, of which only Cat survived, is brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry Ennui View Post
                      Although I don't think any of the other characters were interesting in themselves, you needed other people for them to play off of sometimes. Every episode with just Eddie and Richie arguing would've denied us episodes like the quiz, the Christmas nativity, the hotel prize etc.
                      On the other hand... the chess game, the ferris wheel, the camping on Wimbledon Common - some of the very best episodes are double-handers.

Also don't forget how well the stage shows worked with just Rik and Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                        I, like Giggler, have always had a massive crush on Roz, for me she was the very definition of sex appeal.
                        Add me to the list.

Comment

You'll all have to get through me first.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                            Add me to the list.
                            And me!

Comment

Imagine no sex appeal and Roz in the same sentence. So so wrong.

Comment

WOM, this could be the first thread Vietnam in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by lackedpunch View Post
                                  I thought Percy played a really valuable role in Blackadder 2. His attempts to ingratiate himself with Blackadder and Blackadder's ridiculing of him provided lots of comedy!
                                  Worth being there if only for the 'new ruff' segment. Oh, and 'green'. I don't think either could have been done with Baldrick.

Comment

Another one on the Roz bandwagon here.

Comment

Likewise me.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        Rob Lowe's character in Parks and Recreation. So superfluous that I can't even tell you what the character was called.
                                        But he was comedy gold.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          To each their own.

Comment

This is thread Suez for WOM, never mind Vietnam. An Empire cut down to size, never to recover, credibility shattered.

Comment

Put me in the "indifferent to Roz" camp.

Comment

IIRC, Lisa Kudrow was originally cast as Roz.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.co.uk/2006...ame-to-be.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                                  Fawlty Towers could have gone on without Connie Booth's character. (Although I didn't like it much, she seemed to only be in it because she wrote it.)
                                                  I don't know, I think Polly had a leavening effect on the insane proceedings - and was key to the plot on several occasions, not least the episode about the anniversary party.

Pte Sponge in Dad's Army comes to mind. He was drafted in following the death of James Beck (Pte Walker), although never cemented as a key character.

Comment

The Major, arguably, who is more Python than Towers. Sybil seems to only be central to a couple of plots and many of the episodes could function without her. Connie Booth is essential to the episodes where Manuel gets drunk and where she plays bedridden Sybil.
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-10-2017, 10:04.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X