• Show
Clear All

Ain't That a Shame

Fats Domino dead at 89.

Are we sure this time?

Comment

Seems that way.

Comment

Just won a little bet with myself over the thread title. (With 'Blueberry ill' a close second...)

RIP - a giant in every sense...

Comment

Sometimes you gotta go obvious.

Comment

Farewell Fat Man.

No one built a career on a single piano riff like he did.

Comment

Fat's All Folks!

Comment

Was going to go for "he's lost his thrill"

Comment

Fats Domino has laid a double six.

Comment

Is he the only artist whose name inspired that of another chart-topping solo artist?

Comment

According To Charlie Gillet's great book "Sound of the City" Fats Domino inadvertently sewed the seeds of Reggae. New Orleans Radio could be picked up in Jamaica and local musicians trying to copy the Domino sound came up with the Bluebeat rhythm that led on to Reggae.
                      Last edited by wittoner; 26-10-2017, 09:12.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                        Is he the only artist whose name inspired that of another chart-topping solo artist?
                        I was going to say 'Elvis Costello', but he's never actually topped a major chart anywhere in the world...

Comment

I was going to say 'Elvis Costello', but he's never actually topped a major chart anywhere in the world...

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                          Sometimes you gotta go obvious.
                          Indeed - I've done so many times myself.

Comment

Domino's own name was inspired by Fats Waller.

Comment

There was a UK number one single in 2015 called House Every Weekend by a DJ/producer named David Zowie. It topped the chart in the first week the rundown was shifted from Sunday to Friday, meaning ironically enough its tally for that 'week' featured no sales from an actual weekend.
                              Anyway:
                              "He has stated that he was named after David Bowie, as his father was a huge fan, and was once called "David Zowie Ziggy Stardust Aladdin Sane Thin White Duke Twig The Wonder Kid" before his mother changed his name by deed poll."

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                According To Charlie Gillet's great book "Sound of the City" Fats Domino inadvertently sewed the seeds of Reggae. New Orleans Radio could be picked up in Jamaica and local musicians trying to copy the Domino sound came up with the Bluebeat rhythm that led on to Reggae.
                                Jamaicans would work in the US and take R&B singles back home, which would then be raided for rhythms, hooks, etc. Ska is a certain type of R&B speeded up and with a different accent, but I'm not sure if it's New Orleans. It could go all the way back to Louis Jordan.

The Wailers definitely modelled themselves on The Miracles initially.

Comment

Chubby Checker was thus named as a gag on Fats Domino -- by the wife of Dick Clark.

Comment

Ringo Starr might be derived from Kay Starr, although Ringo has never confirmed this nor had a solo #1. The first name came from his rings.

Comment

Ringo bagged two consecutive Billboard number ones with Photograph and You're Sixteen (1973-74), so I reckon qualifies on that basis at least.

As for David Zowie's dad, he may have had decent music taste, but if he were my old man, I'd have given him a slap by now.

Comment

Working...
                                      X