Anyone good with troublesome iPods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone good with troublesome iPods?

I have a great old iPod Classic with stacks of songs on it. Ran out of power yesterday, plugged in today and got a faint display with a tick and OK to disconnect. The old "hold two buttons down" trick didn't work.

Plugged it into iTunes and it's telling me the only option is to Restore. I don't use iCloud.

Have I lost my data?

iPod Classics usually only contain what you already house on your iTunes itself. A restore will wipe clean the iPod itself, but normally you just re-up from your machine / iTunes account.

Now, I've fucked myself a couple of times by backing iTunes up to an external drive to free up laptop memory, and resyncing from that is a nightmare.

So, in conclusion, yes and no.

Comment

Oh, and if you're not in a rush, I've left a 'dead' iPod plugged in for days / weeks and it's come back to life, full of music, with no ill effects. Not sure how it works, but it seems to.

Comment

Can you see anything in Windows or IOS?

If so, this may help

Comment

Oh, and if you're not in a rush, I've left a 'dead' iPod plugged in for days / weeks and it's come back to life, full of music, with no ill effects. Not sure how it works, but it seems to.
          Gonna be a bummer when the guy in the green suit comes by to collect.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Now, I've fucked myself a couple of times by backing iTunes up to an external drive to free up laptop memory, and resyncing from that is a nightmare.
            This, plus old PCs, someone's borrowed IRiver...

Will try UA's Windows thing, otherwise leave it charging for aeons as a last resort.

The thought of starting again doesn't bear thinking about.

Thanks both.

Comment

My iPod classic lost the ability to play unless connected to a dock about three years ago. I'd be surprised if charging it for three days will do anything - I think the internal power source only lasts for a finite time.

Comment

Got lucky. Brought it to work in my briefcase, plugged it in and it's just behaving like a normal out-of-power iPod now. Phew.

So if I synch it next time I'm on iTunes will all the stuff back up there? I've always eschewed synch and iCloud.

Comment

Some ways to do that.

I have finally given up on iTunes (after my second Classic died), but always found iLounge to be the best single source for ways to deal with issues.

Comment

Classics are just 1.8" HDDs. They're going to fail on average within 4/5 years, even without accidental damage. If you're only keeping your music on the device, it's going to disappear eventually.

Comment

I've heard there are, um, ways of getting it all onto another iPod if I chose to get one off eBay...?

Comment

ILounge can tell you how to do that too, but GY is absolutely spot on.

Comment

Yes, hence my wish for a backup!

Thanks folks

Comment

Working...
                          X