Christening gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christening gift

I'm honoured to have been asked to be godfather to the child of some friends of mine, but can anyone advise what a suitable gift for the little lad could be please? I've no children of my own and neither my mum nor dad can remember what I was given for mine. Thanks folks.

As a godfather; an offer they can't refuse, obviously.

Or, something special to commemorate the year of their birth; a collectible coin set, or a saving bond, etc. I dunno.

Comment

Those are better ideas than the silver christening cups and rattles that are popular around here.

The kid is probably a bit young for you to put down a case of wine for him.

Comment

What's the lad's name? Is it long? Watch out if you get a christening cup, they charge by the letter. Maybe shorten the name if you can.

Comment

The Mint's christening gifts seem to be mostly out of stock at the moment, except for the coin set of the year:
          http://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/g...and-baby-gifts

Comment

An expensive teddy bear or other toy that he won't ever really grow out of even though he says he has and will probably go with him to university in a couple of decades time. And every time he sees it he'll remember his Uncle Giggler.

Comment

This site claims to have the silver penny, but I've no idea whether or not this is actually true:
              https://www.bundlesofjoy-shopping.co...al-mint-detail

Comment

I think the last time I did this, I bought an elaborate hardback of nursery rhymes. Or tales of the Brothers Grimm. Or something like that.

If you buy her a Bury season ticket, someone might call social services.

Comment

Depends on how much you want to spend. Personally I'd say give hime something that he can use now (or that his parents can. Parents always always need more clothes for little kids, so something liek a body suit), and then something that he can have when hes older and appreciates it. a bottle of vintage port is a fairly traditional option

Comment

Don't spend any money on him till he's about five. He won't remember so you won't get any credit for it. Wait till then and then start getting decent presents so you get to be Cool Uncle Giggler.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      a bottle of vintage port is a fairly traditional option
                      To quote New Zealand one-hit wonders OMC, how bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                        What's the lad's name? Is it long? Watch out if you get a christening cup, they charge by the letter. Maybe shorten the name if you can.
                        I've already taken to calling Harry 'H'. Perfect.

Thanks everyone. Some great suggestions to be going on with here.

Cool Uncle Giggler status will be cemented by taking him to Gigg and showing him the DVD of the 4-1 at Burnden in 1988, the 3-1 in 1991 and the 2-0 at Gigg in 1990. 'Ave that, Stumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          An expensive teddy bear or other toy that he won't ever really grow out of even though he says he has and will probably go with him to university in a couple of decades time.
                          Probably cheaper than getting 'Sebastian' engraved on a cup too.

Comment

I approve of the port/wine of the birth year, cellared until they're old enough, theory. This only holds if they wine is good enough to last 15/20 years, and you know somewhere to cellar it. Which makes it prohibitively expensive, and therefore just a theory and not something you can really put in to practice.

Comment

Keep a (decent) newspaper from his birth date if you're t wasn't too long ago. When you give it to him as a 21st gift he can marvel at the weird news about Trump, and that there were still newspapers when he was born.

Comment

I'm chuffed to see such a consensus that some of us will still be around in 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                  Probably cheaper than getting 'Sebastian' engraved on a cup too.
                                  Are you a Lead Balloon man?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                    I've already taken to calling Harry 'H'. Perfect.

Thanks everyone. Some great suggestions to be going on with here.

Cool Uncle Giggler status will be cemented by taking him to Gigg and showing him the DVD of the 4-1 at Burnden in 1988, the 3-1 in 1991 and the 2-0 at Gigg in 1990. 'Ave that, Stumpy.
                                    Ha ha. H is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                      Harry 'H'. Perfect
                                      Steptoe & Son DVD box set?

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      a saving bond, etc. I dunno.
                                      I read that as "shaving", which I reckon he's a bit young for too.

In all seriousness, I'm godfather to both the kids of one of my best friends, with their little boy (then 2) having become the second one just over a year ago. Nobody was expecting any extravagant gifts to be showered upon them, and it seemed to me the best thing to do was to get some immediately useful stuff – clothes, as I recall – and something more lasting though not necessarily expensive that the kid can appreciate when they're older, hopefully. Like Stumpy suggests, sets of classic kids' stories are a great idea. If you can create something personal it's a nice idea: for instance, I bought a plain wooden hinged keepsake box for my goddaughter and decorated it myself, e.g. painting squares of different colours onto the lid then painting the letters of her forenames onto those.

Comment

I received a tiny silver knife, fork and spoon set that was put away somewhere safe as it was apparently “sentimental value”. It’s gone now, dunno where. I think I only saw it a couple of times.

My dad bought me a premium bond at around that time. I’ve still got that. It’s got my name, my date of birth and his name on the cover note - sentimental and a possible game changer if ever my bloody numbers come up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X