Happy Birthday, Julian!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday, Julian!

Julian Cope is 60 today. I'm playing Kilimanjaro to celebrate.

He shares his birthday with Paul Ince, Benjamin Netanyahu and Geoffrey Boycott.
    Last edited by Haddock; 21-10-2017, 07:09.

I can't Cope. I find his voice and manner very grating, in the way that anti-Smiths persons have always done with Morrissey. But he's an angel compared to the birthday trio.

Comment

Originally posted by Haddock View Post
      Julian Cope is 60 today. I'm playing Kilimanjaro to celebrate.
      I thought for a moment there you meant you were performing a gig on Africa's highest mountain, or perhaps at some music venue I didn't know about, until my brain caught up.

Julian Cope is a little bit of a Marmite taste, perhaps, but a national treasure nonetheless. Which, as an antiquarian, he might possibly enjoy. Happy Birthday to him.

Comment

He grew up in Tamworth, so he's a local legend.

Comment

He's a genuine cult artist in that, although he long ago bade farewell to mass popularity, his fans tend to really, really love him.

Were those pigs that went on the lam some years ago actually from Tamworth or just of the breed?

Comment

They were Tamworth breed but their escape was from an abattoir in Malmesbury.

I have no opinion on Julian Cope.

Comment

I loved Kilimanjaro, and still listen to it from time to time. But I've lost track of what he's doing now.

He did try to kill Jehovah in 1994, of course. Don't know if he succeeded. I suspect not.

Comment

He may have done, doesn't that kind of thing bring about Autogeddon?

Welcome PJ, a suitably off-the-wall first post. Are you new to these parts, or a longtime lurker? And what's your favourite biscuit?

Comment

I like his work a lot. Julian Cope, that is. Too early to judge PJ.

So far so good, though.

Comment

I find his voice... very grating

Somewhat, but the Teardrops records and his first two solo albums are good enough that this isn't really a problem. Cool that he's reached 60, anyroad.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                      Cool that he's reached 60, anyroad.
                      And if the amount of acid he's done is anywhere near truth, quite impressive.

Comment

Working...
                      X