No announcement yet.

Women's World Cup Qualification 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe he has his eye on an MLS job in the future - is there more money there?

Tickets are available for England v Wales in a crucial qualifier on Friday 6 April (7pm kick off), at St Mary's, Southampton. There's a slight saving if you book before the end of the month.

https://ticketingcontent.thefa.com/e...Vs-Wales-Women

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
      John Herdman clearly doesn't fancy winning a World Cup as he has abandoned a team who might conceivably do so in the Canadian Women's side, for one who probably won't even qualify, Canada's Men. Hmm. I wonder if he is also getting a pay rise alongside his move upwards/sideways/downwards? (delete as appropriate based on your cynicism levels)
      This is very strange. Not just Herdman's move, but Zambrano's speedy departure with no reason given. He'd got the CMNT playing something like reasonable football for the first time in decades. This has all the markings of a CSA FUBAR, again.

Update: One well-placed source told Sportsnet that Zambrano’s tenure as coach was viewed as “a disaster” within some quarters of Canada Soccer.
      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 09-01-2018, 17:40.

Comment

WTF???

Comment

"It is understood the 40-year-old’s name was initially suggested to the Football Association in a light-hearted manner by a well known broadcaster at a drinks reception last month." Or: Neville's name was scribbled down on the back of a fag packet shortly before last orders, and by the time of the next meeting the FA had not come up with a better suggestion.

Comment

Phil Neville given the job.

Its a pity that none of the top women's coaches seem to have wanted it.

Comment

You have to look on the positive side - at least they didn't give it to Phil and Gary.

Comment

I was just about to say Scotland are doing well away to Switzerland when the Swiss take the lead, capitalising on a poor clearance from the Scottish 'keeper. Not even a blatant two handed shove in the back of the scorer by a Scottish centre-back could stop it. A shame as Scotland were starting to come in to their own as an attacking force and were looking more likely than the hosts to score, having played cautiously for the first 20 minutes.

I'm watching the game on BBC Alba, which is a rather odd experience as the commentator keeps switching to English when he wants to ask his expert summariser (Amy MacDonald, presumably not the musician but another of that name) a question. I guess there were no Scots Gaelic speaking top level Scottish female Footballers available. Or indeed any that exist at all...?

Comment

30,000 expected to watch NI tomorrow (away to Eurochampettes Netherlands)

Comment

Three minutes left for the Scots. Still 1-0 to the Swiss....

Comment

Nope, ends 1-0. Scotland gave a good team a tough game, but ultimately came up a bit short.

Comment

I was just about to say Scotland are doing well away to Switzerland when the Swiss take the lead, capitalising on a poor clearance from the Scottish 'keeper. Not even a blatant two handed shove in the back of the scorer by a Scottish centre-back could stop it. A shame as Scotland were starting to come in to their own as an attacking force and were looking more likely than the hosts to score, having played cautiously for the first 20 minutes.

I'm watching the game on BBC Alba, which is a rather odd experience as the commentator keeps switching to English when he wants to ask his expert summariser (Amy MacDonald, presumably not the musician but another of that name) a question. I guess there were no Scots Gaelic speaking top level Scottish female Footballers available. Or indeed any that exist at all...?
                        BBC Alba's production team are from Waterford, where they take the same approach on TG4's sports coverage - all commentary will be in Irish, but sideline analysis will come from ex-players, who generally only speak English.

Comment

This was the co-commentator rather than a sideline reporter, though. Main guy gabbling on about the play, and then, mid-flow "Have we had any changes in formation for the second-half, Amy?"
                          I presume both would use a native speaker as their expert ex-player if one was suitable and available...

Comment

The Republic defeat Slovakia 2-1 in Tallaght, the winner coming in the 85th minute - will the North do us a favour shortly against the Dutch?

Comment

This was the co-commentator rather than a sideline reporter, though. Main guy gabbling on about the play, and then, mid-flow "Have we had any changes in formation for the second-half, Amy?"
                              I presume both would use a native speaker as their expert ex-player if one was suitable and available...
                              The Western Highlands and Islands isn’t exactly a fitba hotbed (though Glasgow has the biggest Gaeltacht in terms of speakers, a lot of that is emigration to Partick from the Teucherlands, and a lot of other speakers would be middle class kids in Weegie Gaelic medium schools- a nice way to segregate from the plebs without paying for a private school). Barely anyone else in the Central Belt speaks or has learned Gaelic.

Can’t imagine many ex players of any level, male or female, having any fluency in Gaelic.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-04-2018, 18:39.

Comment

England v Wales is on BBC2 now.

It's the first time I've ever seen Wales live on telly, I've only ever seen them play live.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                  BBC Alba's production team are from Waterford, where they take the same approach on TG4's sports coverage - all commentary will be in Irish, but sideline analysis will come from ex-players, who generally only speak English.
                                  Is that just for the live sports, DR? Would be incredibly shit if the BBC has outsourced all Alba production to TG4. But not unfeasible.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    Is that just for the live sports, DR? Would be incredibly shit if the BBC has outsourced all Alba production to TG4. But not unfeasible.
                                    The production company is called Nemeton, and it won the tender put out by BBC Alba.

Comment

Nemeton have a Scottish office. They are a Ring Multinational. Ring is the best part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                        England v Wales is on BBC2 now.

It's the first time I've ever seen Wales live on telly, I've only ever seen them play live.
                                        Conversely, it was my first ever Wales Women game and my son’s first ever women’s football match. A total privilege to witness it and one of the greatest Welsh performances I have ever seen, in any sport.

Comment

Can I ask, is the Nemeton coverage in scots Gaelic? I would assume the Glasgow office is for local speakers to operate out of. I'd be fairly surprised if the two units didn't communicate through english. Scots Gaelic is very similar to Donegal Irish, but Deise Irish is about as far removed from it as it is about to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            Conversely, it was my first ever Wales Women game and my son’s first ever women’s football match. A total privilege to witness it and one of the greatest Welsh performances I have ever seen, in any sport.
                                            It was a glorious stalemate. After the ref adjudged what looked to be a goal to have not crossed line, we never looked like we were going to score. Despite looking out-on-our-feet after an hour we kept throwing bodies in front of England.

I walked into St Mary's prepared to consider a one or two goal defeat a good result. It's a huge result for us, and a fairly miserable competitive start for Phil Neville.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              Nemeton have a Scottish office. They are a Ring Multinational. Ring is the best part of the country.
                                              Michael Ring?!

Comment

Right at the death Laura O'Sullivan tipped the ball over. The replays showed it was a fantastic save.

The commentators gave her player of the match. That's something, to give it to the visiting keeper.

Rhiannon Roberts has the Welshiest of names. She played well too.

Comment

Made even more fantastic as O'Sullivan was down with cramp 30 seconds previously. Pushing off must have hurt like hell, but she did it anyway. It was a performance of Hope Solo or Nadine Angerer on a good day levels.

Comment

Made even more fantastic as O'Sullivan was down with cramp 30 seconds previously. Pushing off must have hurt like hell, but she did it anyway. It was a performance of Hope Solo or Nadine Angerer on a good day levels.
                                                    Best save of the night from O'Sullivan was imo the reaction save when the ball ricocheted off Sophie Ingle's thigh late on. Was convinced that was the moment for England. Last time England failed to score in a home qualifier was 2008, before the FA introduced (semi-)professionalisation.

Wales have put themselves in such a strong position after tonight's display. Beat Bosnia (which we should imo) and Russia (which is an ask but do-able) at home in June and we'll host England in August for the top-spot. Take four points from the two games in June (which is a more realistic goal) and we'll secure ourselves second place - unless Russia get something from the England game.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X