Women's World Cup Qualification 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women's World Cup Qualification 2019

Iceland are giving Germany a thorough lesson at the moment.

FT Germany 2-3 Iceland

Germany's first WWCQ defeat since 1998.

Comment

Scotland off to a winning start, beating Belarus away last night. England though have a friendly with France this evening.

Comment

After their poor showing in the Euros, there must be a bit of pressure on Steffi Jones now.

Here are some highlights of the game:

https://www.zdf.de/sport/zdf-sportex...sland-100.html

The second Iceland goal is quite enjoyable.

Also it looked like Germany maybe should have had a penalty at the end.

Comment

Jones was quite critical of her players' commitment in after-match interviews.

Germany had not lost in its last 26 qualifiers

Comment

I assume that no country anywhere near as small as Iceland has ever qualified for the women's World Cup (I know we established that for the men but in the context of the women, where there have been fewer opportunities to qualify, it might be even more remarkable).

Comment

Equatorial Guinea made the finals in 2011, and have about four times the population of Iceland.

Comment

Originally posted by Doraemon View Post
                Here are some highlights of the game:

https://www.zdf.de/sport/zdf-sportex...sland-100.html

The second Iceland goal is quite enjoyable.
                Oooh, yes, lovely turn. The goalkeeper then produces a textbook example of a despairing dive.

Comment

I'm slightly surprised to find Iceland haven't ever qualified for the Women's World Cup. They have been a decent team in a European context for a decade or more. They must have come close on a few occasions.

Comment

They were one of the unfortunate second place teams in 2015, finishing ahead of Denmark, but ten points adrift of Switzerland.

They also finished second to France in 2011, for a tournament with only four and a half UEFA qualifiers (plus hosts Germany and the half being a playoff place against CONCACAF)

Comment

I think they'd have been OK in 2011 if Blatter's proposal to extend from 16 to 24 had been accepted, which it was 4 years later. I don't know if 24 finalists is stretching the quality too thin but it's definitely improved the chances that promising European teams will not miss out.

The unsatisfactory system of having only some 2nd placed teams in the play-offs means that 3/7 of the 2nd placed teams will miss out on playing off. Currently that includes Wales and ROI, but Germany should be OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_F...group_stage.29

Interesting that the women only have one intercontinental play-off, which this time is CONMEBOL v CONCACAF.

Comment

The Israeli FA is live streaming their game against Spain now:

Comment

Spain take the lead their dominance has deserved.

I hadn't really twigged until now that unless this thread also takes in the non-European women's Confederations Championships in the next year or so*, I suppose this will be UEFA's qualifiers only, since the other continents use their Confederation Championships as the WCQ process itself.

* and that might do the CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup, in particular, a disservice. Though perhaps a different thread title might work.
                          Last edited by Kevin S; 23-10-2017, 14:47.

Comment

Now 0-2 Spain, and that's half time.
                            Last edited by Kevin S; 23-10-2017, 14:46.

Comment

Ended 0-6

Germany took out its frustrations on the Faroes, winning 11-0 in Aspach

Comment

Scotland v Albania is live on BBC Alba, kickoff any second now.

Comment

Scotland open the scoring when in 20th minute the previously impressive-looking Albanian keeper turns a straightforward catch into an epic through-the-legs fumble over the line. Albania have barely been out of their own half in the first quarter of the game.

Comment

Ireland off to a good start with two away victories. Presumably unlikely to challenge Norway and the Netherlands though.

Comment

A creditable draw for Wales in Russia this afternoon. It would be nice to think they could finish 2nd in the group - as I'd assume England will run away with it. However, it may be tough to be one of the top second placed sides in order to reach the playoffs if England do win the group at a canter. Next game for Wales is Kazakhstan at the Cardiff City Stadium in late November.

Comment

The Danish national team went on strike for equal pay. UEFA has responded by banning them for four years.

Comment

What? That's ridiculous.

I'm considering going to the Wales home game on Friday night, depending on how wet the weather is. At the moment I am Patrick No-Mates so if anyone is free and wants to come along. Half time cup of tea is on me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                                            Ireland off to a good start with two away victories. Presumably unlikely to challenge Norway and the Netherlands though.
                                            Oh ye of little faith. 0-0 in Nijmegen. Which is an eye-popping result, on a par with Iceland's win against Germany given that the Irish Women have never qualified for anything and the Dutch looked fantastic last summer.

The stats are pretty unreal, mind, and give an feel for what went on. Ireland had 19% possession and 3 shots, all off-target. The Netherlands had 81% of the ball, 36 shots, 13 on target but no goals! Mourinho would have been proud of that...
                                            Last edited by Janik; 29-11-2017, 01:47.

Comment

According to the BBC we are "top of England's group" ... funny that, I thought it was Group 1. England, by the way, are "flying through qualification" ... we didn't warrant more of a mention than the fact we're topping "their" group. Arrogant fuckers

Comment

Radio Bloke forgot to mention our win (3-1 in Slovakia) in one of their reports. I texted to complain.

Comment

John Herdman clearly doesn't fancy winning a World Cup as he has abandoned a team who might conceivably do so in the Canadian Women's side, for one who probably won't even qualify, Canada's Men. Hmm. I wonder if he is also getting a pay rise alongside his move upwards/sideways/downwards? (delete as appropriate based on your cynicism levels)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X