No announcement yet.

Women's World Cup Qualification 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping that we set up a dedicated forum for the tournament, as we do for men's WCs and Euros.

Comment

That makes sense.

I have a very shaky understanding of the mechanics underpinning the site; does an extra forum create a significant amount of extra work for Snake and his shadowy helpers or does it pretty much run itself once added to the board? I'm asking in case there is any extra help that we could/should provide, rather than looking for an obstacle to justify not doing it.

My battle with obesity needn't have a thread of its own...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
        I'm hoping that we set up a dedicated forum for the tournament, as we do for men's WCs and Euros.
        Hmm. Well, we ought to. But, in the past, OTF has had a single thread for the entire Women's World Cup that was shorter than some individual match threads from the Men's version. So, you know...
        There is something further here that I've vaguely alluded to before. I read a couple of years coverage of Women's Sport was something like 10% of TV, 5% of newspaper and 2% of other media (I will try and find whatever it was I got that from at some stage). I fear we are somewhere close to the 'other media', despite our pretensions otherwise.

Comment

Yes, I suspect you're right in terms of where we are at the moment. But I'd hope that creating the space might help increase our posting on it.

And if not, at least we tried. It'd get at least as many posts as Books does next June, surely.

Comment

There's also the fact that this tournament is in a more convenient time zone for most posters and that England are good.

Not to mention that we now know at least one of us is going.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              There's also the fact that this tournament is in a more convenient time zone for most posters and that England are good.

Those were all true of the last Euros. I think. The first two certainly, and IIRC some of our Dutch-based posters went to games.

Comment

In fact, this very thread serves as a perfect example. It's a single one for all the WWC qualifiers happening around the World. These are nearly over, and we are only on to page 11. Again we have threads that long on each European weekend for the Men's, as well as separated dedicated threads for other continents.

Comment

I don’t think that’s the right frame of reference.

If you apppllied it across the board, we’d be largely limited to UK men’s football, Brexit, Trump, Crosswords and Mundanity.

Comment

The CAF have only just decided yesterday to let Equatorial Guinea back into the AFCON - the official draw included Kenya instead, until it was reversed on appeal yesterday. However as noted last month, they cannot qualify for the WWC, so it's the top three teams other than them who will go through. Tournament starts on the 17th. Fixtures here.

Comment

But also a bump as the two playoff finals have their first legs tomorrow.

Here's some articles on Argentina v Panama:
                      https://www.panamatoday.com/sports/w...argentina-8302
                      https://equalizersoccer.com/2018/11/...ions-analysis/

The match in Utrecht kicks off at 2000 CET tomorrow (1900 GMT), while the one in Buenos Aires is 1700 Panama time (2200 GMT).
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 08-11-2018, 11:05.

Comment

The Guardian is definitely giving women's football much more prominence in their website which will hopefully help, but it's a drop in the ocean really.

Comment

Dutch in control, 3-0 winners in the home leg. Spitse, Martens, Miedema.

Comment

Er, and I messed up on the other game. Turns out that was yesterday and Argentina won 4-0. Sorry folks.

Comment

2-0 going into injury time, when Panama lost two players to red cards and two goals, the last a hilariously pointless kicking out in the penalty box to effectively throw away the tie. Las Canaleras as self defeatingly pugilistic as their male counterparts it seems.

Comment

Highlights here:
                                https://youtu.be/eNRh9ocWP4I

Wonder if Sam got down to this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Two. I’ll be there. Was at the German WWC eight years ago and the Euros in France two years back. Great fun.
                                  The lack of a lottery win is all that’s stopping me going to tournaments the world over.

Comment

1-1 in Switzerland. The European champions will be at the World Cup.

As we've hinted, UEFA is the only confederation where this isn't automatically the case (barring Equatorial Guinea winning the AFCON).
                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 13-11-2018, 23:23.

Comment

I think the second leg of Panama v Argentina is an hour and a half away. Should be a formality though.

Comment

Narrator: as indeed it was, 1-1. Argentina become the 20th team of the 24 to book their place at the finals.

In the Afcon edit Awcon, perhaps the Equatorial Guinea issue won't come up - Zambia beat them 5-0 - though to be fair the players won't have had the most straightforward preparation for this.

Ghana - Mali and Cameroon - Algeria tomorrow, Nigeria - Zambia and EqG - SA on Weds.
                                        Last edited by Kevin S; 19-11-2018, 12:22.

Comment

New Zealand got their campaign off to a solid start in the wee small hours too, beating Tonga 11-0. Also Cook Islands 0-3 Fiji in that group.

In group A it was Tahiti 2-4 New Calendonia, and Samoa 0-5 PNG.
                                          Last edited by Kevin S; 19-11-2018, 12:29.

Comment

This site has a lot of video from the women's OFC championship. Unsure if it will be streaming full games live:

https://mycujoo.tv/competitions/1426

edit - yes, it looks like it will. They are at 0300 and 0600 GMT though, so for the insomniacs and early risers.
                                            Last edited by Kevin S; 19-11-2018, 12:42.

Comment

The goal which gave Banyana Banyana the win over Nigeria is a lovely finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exNBBjIdDqs&t=1m30s

Comment

No luck in finding a stream for the Awcon but the hashtag is #TotalAWCON18 - the updates suggest Mali have just restored their lead over hosts Ghana. It's 2-1 going into the final 10 mins.
                                                Last edited by Kevin S; 20-11-2018, 17:09.

Comment

Finished 2-1 to Mali, which opens up the group nicely.

Comment

I have some highlights for you from today's games. Looks like Cameroon are sailing through to the semis.

https://twitter.com/CAF_AWCON/status/1064985214756274176?s=19

https://twitter.com/CAF_AWCON/status/1064999710098972672?s=19

Comment

Working...
                                                    X