The Snowman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Snowman

No, I've not seen it. Nor am I likely to. But the reviews have been so scathing that you really ought to read a bunch.

It's based on a wildly popular series of books by Jo Nesbo, and has a top-tier director, cast, executive producer (Scorcese) and an Oscar-winning editor.

Yet they've apparently made a steaming pile of shit that sits at 12% on RottenTomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_snowman_2017

Was that not Fassbender's character's name in Shame?

Comment

The trailer looks godawful. But then most trailers do.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
        Fassbender plays a character called... Harry Hole. Presumably that's a proper Norwegian surname and I'm just being immature in finding it funny but if not... surely at some point in the proceedings Fassbender would have said, "Guys, erm, one thing... my character's name is Harry Hole", no?
        I once saw a credit card ad on German TV, featuring a cardholder by the name of "Harry Kuntz", proving once and for all that Germans do have a sense of humour.

Comment

Isn't it pronounced "Hole-r" or "Hole-a" or some kind of Scandinavian way?

Haven't bothered with it, as the idea seemed shit. How much time does a serial killer need to chop someone up and then build a snowman? It's the Wet Bandits school of criminality - once you've got them for one, you've got them for all.

Comment

All I know about this movie is the poster, which I guess is supposed to be disturbing and menacing in looking like a note from a killer with child-like writing, but instead it looks ridiculous and stupid.

Comment

Does anyone sing Floating In The Air?

Comment

Walking, GO.

And yeah, I was thinking on first opening this thread it sounded like they'd made a horrific mess 'reimagining' the Raymond Briggs classic, for a minute there.
                Last edited by Various Artist; 20-10-2017, 13:39.

Comment

Whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    Isn't it pronounced "Hole-r" or "Hole-a" or some kind of Scandinavian way?.
                    Jo Nesbø was on 6Music earlier this year and, iirc, he said it was pronounced like "Hula" [hoo- la].

Comment

I've read most of the books in Jo Nesbo's series. They're readable but trashy potboilers, basically, and don't merit any closer attention in the way that the works of, say, Henning Mankell or Arnaldur Indridasson do. It sounds as if the film has tried to keep all the ongoing franchise-y elements of the book at the expense of plot momentum. Nesbo's books do have some gratuitously nasty bits, which he claims to have tried to tone down in recent instalments, but an author can often get away with more on the page than a fully visualised film scene can.

Comment

Saw this last night; girlfriend's dad and a couple of friends of the family wanted to go and see it, and after the dreadful reviews I was curious and thought it'd be shit enough to be entertaining, so went along as well.

I was wrong. It's not the worst film I've ever seen, or anything. It's just really, really boring and forgettable.

Looked amazing, though. The Norwegian tourist board must have put some money into it.

Comment

Working...
                        X