No announcement yet.

The Hunt for Mid October - weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good start. Dunno who scored, 'cos there's a half wit standing next to me. And then Oxford equalise...

Comment

Crikey, we're obviously near some sewage beds here. And we concede again. Are these facts related?

Comment

And now a very dubious penalty. Saved!

Comment

Joke goal makes it three...

Comment

Apparently we've pulled it back to 3-2. It's my turn to go to the bar...

Comment

0-0 half time at Montgomery Waters Meadow

Comment

The PA guy here is a Smiths fan.

Comment

Mansfield have a new set of players yet remain a team of absolute cunts. There must be something in the water there.

Comment

Lost connection, so I couldn't tell you about our equaliser and our first draw of the season...

Comment

Early start from Southport, with first stop of the day being the fairly dull Parkrun at Princes Park in the south of Liverpool (21:07). Then it was down to South Parkway to catch the train to Birmingham. My plan was to go to the Vase match between Wolverhampton Sporting and Staveley Miners Welfare but that was called off towards the end of the morning. So it was on to plan B, which meant catching the train to Kidderminster and then a bus to Stourport.

Stourport is a bit of an odd place. In many ways it feels like a seaside town, with a funfair, amusement arcades and a marina. However being in Worcestershire it lacks a coastline, with the Severn having to step in. The football ground is across the river from the town centre and is relatively non-descript. Hosts Stourport Swifts entered as favourites, being a step higher than visitors Shirebrook, and looked the better side in a first half that produced few decent chances and that the referee just about managed to stop from boiling over. However Shirebrook got a fairly soft looking penalty just before half time and took the lead into the break. It didn't last too long into the second half as Stourport scored twice in a couple of minutes, the second initially hitting the post before bouncing off a defender into his own net. From then on it looked more likely that Stourport would score any further goals but again the visitors scored against the run of play. However they couldn't force extra time, with the home side getting the winner via an excellent finish from the edge of the area.

Comment

89th minute winner against a Mourinhoesque bus parking team to stay top of the league and hit the 15 game unbeaten mark. Well worth the 220 mile round trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          89th minute winner against a Mourinhoesque bus parking team to stay top of the league and hit the 15 game unbeaten mark. Well worth the 220 mile round trip.
                          Yes, some how more satisfying than the 4-0 cruise against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night.

Comment

43rd Steel City Beer & Cider Festival

I have my gripes about the way this is run as an event - it gets details right but still struggles with fundamentals. You wouldn't believe how difficult they make it to actually get in to the thing. However the hour and a half I spent there today had a considerably more relaxed atmosphere than the session last night. Best beers were Nomadic Heretic and Sentinel Kissmeyer Breakfast Saison.

Sheffield 2-3 Corby Town

This was an OTF first as I expect no-one else has been to a game for a team a few days shy of its 160th birthday. Corby looked like they might give them an absolute trousering after they scored in the first minute, though Sheffield worked their way back into it with the wind at their backs and led at half time. Corby dominated the second half with the wind, the Sheffield keeper not seeming to notice that lumping it up into a gale caused problems. They pressed for a winner and it came from a free kick with five minutes left.

Since my last visit to Sheffield a few weeks since they've had a change of manager with the inevitable turnover of playing personnel this represents at this level. Someone should tell them that appointing a manager who has failed and failed and failed again in the NCEL will only lead one way. They might end up grateful that only one team goes down what with the restructuring this season.

Trains back were messy, at Meadowhall we picked up a load of Hull fans coming back from Barnsley. They made more noise than they managed at Wembley.

Comment

Short trip to Vase action at Pontefract Collieries against Litherland. Game livened up towards the end of the first half when three players were sent off following a stamping and melee. The type of incident that would result in faux moral outrage in the Premier League and be met with a dismissive shrug of the shoulders in the Scottish Juniors. Finished 3-1 with Litherland doing their best to make a game of it, including one of their players hitting the post from inside his own half...

Comment

FA Vase: Macabi London Lions 3-2 Clapton

Clapton were awful and the scoreline flatters the performance. The players were blaming each other for mistakes and none of them looked like they wanted to be there. No manager or goalkeeper present for Clapton, so our captain was in goal, who's usually very good when called upon but was poor today. To make a bad afternoon worse, Clapton's crook psuedo-owner got in touch with the club prior to the visit warning them to hire security to prevent drink and pyro being brought in. He then turned up with 10 minutes left to play to collect Clapton's gate share

Despite all this, it was a lovely ground to visit and the Lions were great hosts. The attendance of 197 was a club record.

Comment

Salop - Fleetwood.

Fleetwood are incredibly well-drilled defensively and kept their shape perfectly for 90-odd minutes, frustrating Salop. According to some people sat near me, this is somehow contrary to the rules of football. I was quite impressed and enjoyed it from a technical POV.

Fleetwood only lost because Shaun Whalley, after 90 minues of effort, finally got a cross (well, a corner, but, hey) in the vicinity of a team-mate whose header was impossible to defend, whatever your shape.* Having said that, time-wasting in the first half probably does generate negative karma, though I can't find the exact reference just now. (Probably in the Sammyutta Nikaya somewhere.) Having said that, we were worth the win.

Uwe Rossler is a really good coach, but a miserable sod.

Extra entertainment points for the half-time scoreboard which repeatedly gave several of the L1 scores wrongly and displayed a creative approach to apostrophes and abbreviation, rendering Northampton as North'hampton and Bristol Rovers as Bristol'Rovers.

Thanks to Brian, I wore the scarf my mum knitted for the first time in about a year.

*Unless your shape is 7'6"" tall, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Crikey, we're obviously near some sewage beds here. And we concede again. Are these facts related?
                                    Mmm! The Minchery Farm sewage smells, which always waft lovingly in to the East Stand when the wind is in the wrong direction. There are a number of things that I don't miss about going to that place every other week.

Comment

We managed to beat Tranent 1-0 without creating an international incident.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                        Salop - Fleetwood.

Fleetwood are incredibly well-drilled defensively and kept their shape perfectly for 90-odd minutes, frustrating Salop. According to some people sat near me, this is somehow contrary to the rules of football. I was quite impressed and enjoyed it from a technical POV.

Fleetwood only lost because Shaun Whalley, after 90 minues of effort, finally got a cross (well, a corner, but, hey) in the vicinity of a team-mate whose header was impossible to defend, whatever your shape.* Having said that, time-wasting in the first half probably does generate negative karma, though I can't find the exact reference just now. (Probably in the Sammyutta Nikaya somewhere.) Having said that, we were worth the win.
                                        Yes, they were impressively disciplined and unlike Blackburn, not a team of thuggish cloggers. Interesting stat: this was the first game this season that Fleetwood failed to score.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Interesting stat: this was the first game this season that Fleetwood failed to score.
                                          Well, they hardly tried.

But, as Chris points out, defensively they were excellent and their setup shows how far we've come in 12 months.

Comment

Doncaster Rovers 0-3 Walsall

Abject.

Comment

Carlisle 1-1 Notts Co

Watching Clint Hill taking on Jon Stead and Shola Ameobi was like an afternoon at a dinosaur theme park. Carlisle were on top during the first half but only had a single goal lead to show for it after three fine saves from the Notts keeper.

After the break County equalised with a well worked goal and Ameobi hit the post, but the game degenerated into a stalemate between two fairly average teams.

Despite being on the fringe of Storm Brian, it pissed down from half an hour in, so my usual spot in the unroofed Paddock wasn't the best. Neither was the drive home, especially the Lune valley which was like a wind tunnel with the added bonus of standing water everywhere.

Comment

I went to FC Queens Park v Rhyl in the Cymru Alliance League Cup this afternoon. Queens Park are ground sharing at Lex's ground, which is a few hundred metres from the Racecourse Ground, across the other side of the dual carriageway. Pleasant rural location on a sunny day. Not a particularly exciting game, with Rhyl winning it with an early goal in each half. On this display it did not surprise me that the home side are in the relegation zone and the visitors are mid table.

Comment

Somerset Trojans 0 PHC Zebras 4

My Friday night game, after a long trip west, was a fairly one-sided affair, with league leaders PHC continuing with their unbeaten start to the season. Somerset had a game plan that worked until the 44th minute; everyone behind the ball and try and hit PHC on the counter, which actually would have worked had the lone man up front actually been able to hold the ball and stay on his feet. Second half saw Somerset needing to attack more, which left them exposed to PHC's quick passing game, and it was an easy win in the end. Highlight of the evening was the pissed up 60-something, who wandered up and down the front of one part of the banked terracing before the kick-off, shouting such random phrases to anyone who would listen as "don't talk to me about the Young and the Restless, I've seen them all", "didn't go to work today, my bike was stolen by that fucker from up the road" and "I've been doing my neighbour's wife".

Dandy Town Hornets 3 Devonshire Cougars 0

A tighter game this afternoon, despite the final score line. Two teams who wanted to play football, contest everything in a fair and reasonable way without moaning, even in 27 degree heat, but sadly no local weirdo spouting random craziness. In the end, a deserved win in front of a good crowd of 250 or so for Dandy Town.

Comment

I don't suppose the Devonshire Cougars are a team of well-built women from Exeter in their 40s wearing short, tight skirts and unnecessary amounts of make-up.

Please send your randomly ranting nutter over to one of my games - I'd appreciate the distraction.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X