Football hooligan movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football hooligan movies

Today I bought "Awaydays" from a charity shop for 50p, a film that is about a crew of football hooligans.

I picked it up because I enjoyed "Green Street" in a "guilty pleasure" way. I thought it would be absolutely preposterous to see Elijah Wood as a football hooligan, but it was only quite far fetched. The climatic dust up at the end provoked a fair bit of tension.

What do you think of the whole genre? Is it totally execrable or are some of the films worthwhile?

I still vividly remember the bits of "ID" I've seen many years back. I'd like to see that again.

What was the first "hooligan" movie?

The first was The Firm with Gary Oldman, wasn't it?

Broadly speaking it's a fairly ridiculous genre, isn't it? I remember going to watch The Football Factory with three other lads at university who didn't go and watch the teams they supported on a regular basis. They felt it was a gritty representation, I thought it was ridiculous.

Comment

There was a Czechoslavakian one in the 1980s about Sparta Prague fans going on an away trip by train. I remember they sang 'let's go Sparta let's go'. Can't remember anything else, including the title, but it could have pre-dated The Firm.

Comment

The Firm? My first year high school maths/Higher Computing teacher looked exactly like Gary Oldman in that film. Rangers fan, of course, fond of recounting his days as a ‘face’ at Ibrox. At least to the Higher class of gullible eejit 16-18 year olds.

Almost certainly all bollocks. He was a pin stripe shirted mozzied Evangelical born again holy joe type from Galashiels, doubt he was seen much on the Copland Rd.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-10-2017, 20:43. Reason: Hadn’t refreshed and seen the Giggler’s post

Comment

Are there any teachers here who can verify or disprove the teacher/hooligan notion in "Green Street"?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            There was a Czechoslavakian one in the 1980s about Sparta Prague fans going on an away trip by train. I remember they sang 'let's go Sparta let's go'. Can't remember anything else, including the title, but it could have pre-dated The Firm.
            Proč? (Why?), which came out in 1987.

Comment

I'm watching "Awaydays" at the moment. It is really really bad.

Comment

Torturing yourself, man. Whatever you do don’t watch ID again.The shit rat faced guy from that shit father and son scrapping over modern morés sitcom with John Thaw, as an undercover cop infiltrating a bunch of casuals. And Becoming Consumed by their culture, losing his Moral Compass.

The gob slashing after the chase though, Jesus. Unless that was The Firm’s token black character.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-10-2017, 20:45.

Comment

"Home to Roost", wasn't it? Reece Dinsdale in a sleeveless denim jacket, with stuffy dad John Thaw trying to keep him on the right track.

"Awaydays" has lots of slow motion shots of hooligans staring the opposing gang down. The acting is laughable. There is one really objectionable scene in which the main character headbutts the assistant in a record shop for not serving him quickly. It makes "Green Street" look like a work of art!

Comment

Home To Roost. Man. When Reece Dinsdale was in Coronation Street, he used to drink in the same pub as me and a couple of mates in Manchester city centre. One mate would continually say, just loud enough for Dinsdale to hear when he was at the bar, "You've got an earring, Matthew? An earring?!" a la John Thaw.

Comment

Just have to throw in the 'obligatory' Dennis Waterman and Robert Powell story.

They were playing darts in my-then local in Bayham Street, and every time Robert Powell missed, the crowd (who were trying really hard not to watch) would go "Oh Jesus"*.

*It helps if you know who Robert Powell is.

Comment

There are no good films about football hooligans. There may be a reason for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                          Just have to throw in the 'obligatory' Dennis Waterman and Robert Powell story.

They were playing darts in my-then local in Bayham Street, and every time Robert Powell missed, the crowd (who were trying really hard not to watch) would go "Oh Jesus"*.

*It helps if you know who Robert Powell is.
                          Did Powell take thirty nine steps to the oche?

Comment

I once saw Dennis Waterman having a couple of quiet pints in a pub around the corner from the Theatre Royal, which was quite impressive given that he was due onstage in My Fair Lady within the hour.

Comment

Originally posted by lackedpunch View Post
                              "Awaydays" has lots of slow motion shots of hooligans staring the opposing gang down. The acting is laughable. There is one really objectionable scene in which the main character headbutts the assistant in a record shop for not serving him quickly. It makes "Green Street" look like a work of art!
                              When Awaydays came out it was touted as the arty hooligan film, mainly on account of having Echo and the Bunnymen on the soundtrack. I had a Peter Storm cagoule when I was ten but, as my mum was still buying my, erm, clobber, can't claim all the kudos.

Hooligan films are, as Toby sagely pointed out, all shit. They seem to have been superseded by cheapo Essex gangster films anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X