Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go

I have been quite interested in this story but don't know anything about the game. Anyone play it? As it is supposed to be more difficult than chess, I don't think I will be endeavouring to learn it considering my performance in the OTF chess tournaments.

I tried searching for a previous thread on this but, obviously, it was a bit difficult given the name of the game.

I took a one-credit course in college on Go and the philosophy thereof. I only got a B because I was really really really bad at the game (we had to play at least one game a week) and wasn't interested in learning about the strategies and stuff. I was more interested in the bigger philosophy of it, which was that the players aren't "opponents" but partners in creating the game together. Unlike chess, where the object is to blow the player off the board, in Go, the goal is to occupy just a little bit more territory than the other. Also, there's a set of standard ways of giving the better player a handicap at the start of the game. Asked my prof - who totally looked the part of what an undergraduate wants in a philosophy prof - if that's because it's considered bad form for good players not to challenge themselves. He said that wasn't it, but that it was simply considered uncool not to make the game as competitive as possible. For the sake of the game.

Comment

Working...
    X