Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sean's Shown

Sean Hughes has died, aged 51.

Very sad to learn this. I knew Sean well and worked with him on a number of shows back in the day (including NMTB). I hadn't seen him for some good while, but had heard that he'd had health issues. RIP, fella.

Comment

Thats really sad; 51 is no age at all. RIP.

Comment

Christ. I'm 51. Not that this is about me, of course, but fucking hell.

Comment

Bloody hell. Sean's Show was the source of the nickname I gave my sister, which has since been taken on by the rest of the family. She barely answers to anything else these days.

RIP.

Comment

This has really shocked me. He was Mrs Thistle's favourite comedian for a long time.

Comment

And Sean's Show was mad and we'll ahead of its time.

Comment

There are some good gags at the end of this bbc tribute. Including one about Morrissey that made me smile

Sean Hughes: Comedian, actor and writer dies aged 51 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41632761

Comment

I saw him in York around 1995; ironically, he did one very serious monologue about a friend who had died young. I think his schtick was to be deadpan and dry, ironic and detached. Stole a joke or two from Bill Hicks IIRC, as did most of his contemporaries.

Comment

He certainly led a wave of Irish comedians in the 90s, 51 is no age at all. RIP Sean.

Comment

Bye-bye bye-bye Sean

Comment

Terrible. Nice bloke, too young.

Comment

Very sad. An ex of mine was a massive fan around the time of Sean's Show.

It'd be weird if Morrissey suddenly got over his Morrissey phase now.

Comment

I seem to remember from one of Sean's books that in his early days he (Sean, not Morrissey) would come out on stage singing "I would go out tonight, but I've got this big tree stuck up my arse" (to the tune of This Charming Man and with a big tree stuck up his arse).

He was a big Teardrop Explodes fan, and wrote fondly about Fatima Mansions and pre-Britpop The Divine Comedy.

I hadn't seen anything about him for some time (partly due to me living in Finland). I knew that he drank but I didn't expect this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                              ...and wrote fondly about Fatima Mansions...
                              He did an album with Cathal Coughlan too.

Dunno how listenable the whole thing would be, but it sounds like they had fun making it; Play That Funky Music, Irish Guy.

Comment

I bought tickets to see him at the South Bank in late 91 or 92, between Xmas and New Year, right in the front row. An American friend of mine, Gian-Paolo (GP - because Americans shorten names when they can), was visiting with his brother. GP said, "We're right in the middle of the front row? You know he's going to pick on us, don't you?" I reassured him that the South Bank was no tatty little stand-up club and that this was a 1000-seater venue. It would all be professional and scripted, Sean would be concentrating on a spot way over our heads.

Sean comes out and the first thing he says is, "Hope you all had a great Christmas, it's panto time, isn't it? Anyone here been to see a panto this Christmas?" GP whispered in my ear, "I didn't understand a fucking word he said." Sean looked down and saw this and said to me, "What did he just say to you?" I repeated what GP had just said to me. That was the end of Sean's interest in me, he had his focus solely on GP for the rest of the show, repeatedly returning to (gently) mock his name and his country of origin. It's not a night GP has forgotten, in particular my flimsy assurance that we would be safe from comic persecution. Great night, great shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                                  He was a big Teardrop Explodes fan, and wrote fondly about Fatima Mansions and pre-Britpop The Divine Comedy.
                                  I stood next to him once in the urinals at a Divine Comedy gig.

As anecdotes go it's not the best.

Comment

imp has the lead by a hair, but a wily edit on your part might cinch it.

Comment

Why were you standing in the urinals?

Comment

Because it's better than sitting in them?

Comment

I saw him out with Eileen from Coronation Street, which seemed an odd pairing, until you remember he was in Corrie for a hot second.

I quite liked him (and of course it's very sad that he's died so young) but my abiding memory of him will be his being mean to people on Never Mind the Bollocks, insulting people (who had obviously agreed to it, but looked uncomfortable) on the Mystery Line-up etc. I don't get the sense that Sean Hughes was a naturally cruel man and he is remembered with great fondness by a lot of people.
                                          Last edited by MsD; 17-10-2017, 21:06.

Comment

That show encouraged bullying and mean-spiritedness, I thought, but we have done this before.

Comment

There was a whole strand of nasty, bullying comedy TV in that era, punching down rather than up. Picking on audience members was a stand-up equivalent, which Hughes certainly did. Reached its nadir with Frankie Boyle, but he simply spotted a trend and stretched it to its extreme.

Hughes did not convey empathy so the default mode could seem to be callousness.

Comment

Working...
                                              X